U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: US City with the best Mexican Food
San Diego 23 6.89%
Los Angeles 81 24.25%
SF Bay Area 19 5.69%
Phoenix/Tucson 17 5.09%
Albuquerque/Santa Fe 35 10.48%
El Paso 13 3.89%
San Antonio 45 13.47%
Houston 27 8.08%
Dallas 14 4.19%
New York City 4 1.20%
Chicago 27 8.08%
Somewhere else 29 8.68%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 05:50 PM

5,098 posts, read 4,665,883 times

Advertisements

Meh. I'd bet that a great deal of that is just California's glamorized spin on the cuisine. The burritos that San Francisco are popular far aren't exactly authentic Mexican.

I honestly believe that the best real Mexican is found somewhere along the border in New Mexico or West Texas somewhere. But Cali will obviously have a monopoly on the Baja variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 05:58 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,886,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Meh. I'd bet that a great deal of that is just California's glamorized spin on the cuisine. The burritos that San Francisco are popular far aren't exactly authentic Mexican.

I honestly believe that the best real Mexican is found somewhere along the border in New Mexico or West Texas somewhere. But Cali will obviously have a monopoly on the Baja variety.

Or South Texas there's some really good places in the Valley some of the best Tex-Mex i've had outside of SA has been in McAllen

Old 06-08-2011, 06:53 PM

601 posts, read 635,817 times
Quote:

There are places that have "Glamorized California Mexican" for sure, (fast food joints like "Wahoos", "Rubios" come to mind) but with the sheer amount of Mexicans living in California there are endless amounts of legit authentic eateries as well.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:54 PM

9,976 posts, read 7,409,572 times
Quote:

The only style of Mexican food that originated in Baja is fish/shrimp tacos. Baja-style is just some marketing idea for national chain restaurants that doesn't even mean anything. Except for seafood, Baja isn't really that renowned for a regional cuisine---probably less than every other region of Mexico. San Diego has a lot of fish taco places as that's where it was popularized in the US and it's right over the border from Baja.

Mission burritos are a Northern California variation that were brought by migrant Mexican workers in the Central Valley and later SF. It's not traditional Mexican food, but it was created and popularized by Mexicans. It's different than what you'd find as a burrito in Northern Mexico where they originated, but so is TexMex, which isn't a style you're going to find in Central or Southern Mexico outside places for American tourists.

That being said, it's easy to find good regional Mexican food brought by immigrants from all over Mexico in most parts of California. Like it's been pointed out, California has one of the most diverse groups of Mexican migrants from regions. It's not as if someone in Los Angeles is only going to find Americanized Southwestern or TexMex-style Mexican restaurants--there's plenty of authentic choices for a city that has well over a million Mexicans living there.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:41 PM

10,395 posts, read 13,933,001 times
SF style burritos are incredibly overrated, I don't get the hype. Too much bean and rice filler in them imo.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:49 PM

601 posts, read 635,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
SF style burritos are incredibly overrated, I don't get the hype. Too much bean and rice filler in them imo.
Same here. Ill take a al pastor pura carne burrito from el taurino or king taco in la over a mission burrito anyday.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:26 PM

13,463 posts, read 14,945,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Fine make me go out and post the story!

This is from KOAA, a news station in Pueblo:

Out of 200 of the smaller cities and towns on it's list of most livable cities, Pueblo was chosen as the 10th best for food and culture.

The link: Pueblo ranks in top 10 on food list | NewsFirst5.com | Colorado Springs | Pueblo |

On the link you can see the story that KOAA had live on its news cast and it goes into more detail.
Thanks for proving my point. Like I said, there are many small cities out there that could make thoae claims and you are not of the 10 best overall cities in terms of culture and food.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:05 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,049,420 times
Tex-Mex is awesome and so is New Mexico style, but I always wanted to try the baja cuisine out in California.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:42 AM

13,339 posts, read 13,502,193 times
Quote:
Authentic Mexican? I'm not sure, but would imagine that it's somewhere along the border.

Contrary to what many believe, the overwhelming majority of what is available in Texas is Tex-Mex and not "real" Mexican food (which can still be found here, though)...and of course, as the capital of Tejano culture, San Antonio gets the title for the best Tex-Mex in the world.
There's plenty of authentic Mexican in Texas. 9million Hispanics, there's quite alot of authentic. But yeah, the best ones are probably in South Texas along the boarder, or Coastal Texas, like Corpus Christi. I wonder if Corpus has there own brand of Fish Tacos, or if Corpus has cuisine inspired by Veracruz and the Gulf Coast of Mexico.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:16 AM

5,098 posts, read 4,665,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
There's plenty of authentic Mexican in Texas. 9million Hispanics, there's quite alot of authentic. But yeah, the best ones are probably in South Texas along the boarder, or Coastal Texas, like Corpus Christi. I wonder if Corpus has there own brand of Fish Tacos, or if Corpus has cuisine inspired by Veracruz and the Gulf Coast of Mexico.
I didn't say there wasn't any, I said that a majority of the restaurants here will be Tex-Mex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City