U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: US City with the best Mexican Food
San Diego 23 6.89%
Los Angeles 81 24.25%
SF Bay Area 19 5.69%
Phoenix/Tucson 17 5.09%
Albuquerque/Santa Fe 35 10.48%
El Paso 13 3.89%
San Antonio 45 13.47%
Houston 27 8.08%
Dallas 14 4.19%
New York City 4 1.20%
Chicago 27 8.08%
Somewhere else 29 8.68%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:47 PM

19,054 posts, read 15,829,987 times
So in reading the Chinese and Mexican threads it would generally appear to me people are zelous of what is best to their area and generally po-pooh offerings not as good or where other areas excel.

Just see this in general with all food types.

I like Mexican but dont like to eat everyday, asian am the same but prefer variety in general
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 02:52 PM

3,093 posts, read 1,698,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
what about the huevos, is there any substitute for that?
I've used egg whites with Soyrizo. Shockingly good. Egg beaters, maybe?

Old 03-19-2012, 02:59 PM

637 posts, read 245,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So in reading the Chinese and Mexican threads it would generally appear to me people are zelous of what is best to their area and generally po-pooh offerings not as good or where other areas excel.

Just see this in general with all food types.

I like Mexican but dont like to eat everyday, asian am the same but prefer variety in general
Yeah, but when it comes to "Italian" or any other European foods, then it becomes a "wash" or "Italian American" or something.

Same can be said for any African or Caribbean cuisine.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:15 AM

11,186 posts, read 9,638,803 times
I'll note this: Caribbean cuisine is severely underappreciated in the US and the rest of the world. For a small example, I have no idea how ackee (and ital in general) has not completely blown the minds of all vegetarians everywhere. The whole cuisine, when taken as a region with Jamaican, Trinidadian, and others, is ridiculously good and not just the lukewarm beef patties you get at Golden Krust and bodegas. The mix of british/european, indigenous caribbean, indian, west african, and forced constraints of beliefs (rastafarian and the like) has created something pretty palatable.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:17 AM

8,129 posts, read 6,237,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'll note this: Caribbean cuisine is severely underappreciated in the US and the rest of the world. For a small example, I have no idea how ackee (and ital in general) has not completely blown the minds of all vegetarians everywhere. The whole cuisine, when taken as a region with Jamaican, Trinidadian, and others, is ridiculously good and not just the lukewarm beef patties you get at Golden Krust and bodegas. The mix of british/european, indigenous caribbean, indian, west african, and forced constraints of beliefs (rastafarian and the like) has created something pretty palatable.
I do miss the Caribbean cuisine that was common in NYC and Boston. There's a small Ital scene in Berkeley, and a very small number of places that cater in LA - one place I've been to a few times in Venice when I was dating an Asian gal who thought she was Rasta, and a couple places in Little Ethiopia (where most places are happy to oblige).

I actually cook my own jerk/cream "chicken" using tempeh or soy strips (I'm a vegetarian) once every few months, based on what I could glean from a place around the corner from where I used to live in Boston when I was a teen. Used to love those Jamaican beef patties, man, and after I stopped eating meat, they also had cheese patties. A place up in Emeryville (next to Oakland) had homemade cheddar and spinach patties in that perfect, flaky golden crust... sigh. You wanna hear perfect, back in Cambridge, there was a little mom-and-pop Ethiopian corner store that home-made those pockets with either shiro or yebeg wot. Closed ages ago, though.

I just wish that more Caribbean folks made it out to the rest of the US to share their cooking!

Old 03-20-2012, 05:13 AM

897 posts, read 323,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I do miss the Caribbean cuisine that was common in NYC and Boston. There's a small Ital scene in Berkeley, and a very small number of places that cater in LA - one place I've been to a few times in Venice when I was dating an Asian gal who thought she was Rasta, and a couple places in Little Ethiopia (where most places are happy to oblige).

I actually cook my own jerk/cream "chicken" using tempeh or soy strips (I'm a vegetarian) once every few months, based on what I could glean from a place around the corner from where I used to live in Boston when I was a teen. Used to love those Jamaican beef patties, man, and after I stopped eating meat, they also had cheese patties. A place up in Emeryville (next to Oakland) had homemade cheddar and spinach patties in that perfect, flaky golden crust... sigh. You wanna hear perfect, back in Cambridge, there was a little mom-and-pop Ethiopian corner store that home-made those pockets with either shiro or yebeg wot. Closed ages ago, though.

I just wish that more Caribbean folks made it out to the rest of the US to share their cooking!
I concur, Jamaican food is one of my favorites, best I ever had was in miami

Old 03-20-2012, 01:01 PM

398 posts, read 315,680 times
Hmm... I love mexican and asian. Jamaican as well. I'm generally not a fan of traditional american foods coming out of the midwest, most of the south with exception to New Orleans/TX/Miami or even the northeast and new england? Why? They are just bland to me, they don't use enough spices. They traditionally use a lot of butter, dill, vinegar, cream, potato's and stuff like that. German/Irish/English and generally most of your northern euro foods, which happens to include a lot of American food? Yeah, not a fan. Even out of carribbean, cuban food tends to be about the dullest of them all. Jamaican/Haitian are much better to me. I like my food potent and especially filled with capsicum. I definitely trend towards these foods, and also indian, thai, nigerian, sri lankan. If the food isn't hot or with a good dose of spice, I am probably not eating it. Even when I get pizza I will load it up with red chili flakes or even sriracha sauce. This is why I said a lot of mexican in the u.s. is bland, they typically don't put enough cumin/cilantro/chiles into it, they go easy on these to satisfy the milder american palates.

Last edited by Lizz0rd; 03-20-2012 at 01:16 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 02:04 PM

897 posts, read 323,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
Hmm... I love mexican and asian. Jamaican as well. I'm generally not a fan of traditional american foods coming out of the midwest, most of the south with exception to New Orleans/TX/Miami or even the northeast and new england? Why? They are just bland to me, they don't use enough spices. They traditionally use a lot of butter, dill, vinegar, cream, potato's and stuff like that. German/Irish/English and generally most of your northern euro foods, which happens to include a lot of American food? Yeah, not a fan. Even out of carribbean, cuban food tends to be about the dullest of them all. Jamaican/Haitian are much better to me. I like my food potent and especially filled with capsicum. I definitely trend towards these foods, and also indian, thai, nigerian, sri lankan. If the food isn't hot or with a good dose of spice, I am probably not eating it. Even when I get pizza I will load it up with red chili flakes or even sriracha sauce. This is why I said a lot of mexican in the u.s. is bland, they typically don't put enough cumin/cilantro/chiles into it, they go easy on these to satisfy the milder american palates.
WOW man it's like me and you were separated at birth, I feel exactly the same as you do, I remember on an earlier thread about NOLA vs LA where people were praising NOLA cuisine as the best, I responded that in general American food is bland so creole would stand out as some of the best eventhough I think it is good it's overhyped in the states, compared to some of the other ethnic foods I've tried creole is good but not what some people make it out to be, btw love sriracha on pizza to

Old 03-20-2012, 02:07 PM

398 posts, read 315,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
WOW man it's like me and you were separated at birth, I feel exactly the same as you do, I remember on an earlier thread about NOLA vs LA where people were praising NOLA cuisine as the best, I responded that in general American food is bland so creole would stand out as some of the best eventhough I think it is good it's overhyped in the states, compared to some of the other ethnic foods I've tried creole is good but not what some people make it out to be, btw love sriracha on pizza to
Yeah, NOLA food would certainly stack below those other ethnic foods I rattled off, but yes def prefer it to most "american" food. It's got some kick and some flavor. They have said NOLA is the northern most caribbean city.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:08 PM

16,722 posts, read 9,233,804 times
Quote:
I'll note this: Caribbean cuisine is severely underappreciated in the US and the rest of the world.
People have little exposure to it. What's the Caribbean equivalent of Rosa Mexicano?

Quote:
The whole cuisine, when taken as a region with Jamaican, Trinidadian, and others, is ridiculously good and not just the lukewarm beef patties you get at Golden Krust and bodegas. The mix of british/european, indigenous caribbean, indian, west african, and forced constraints of beliefs (rastafarian and the like) has created something pretty palatable.
Also a strong East Asian influence on many islands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City