Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: And the better city is...
Richmond, VA 25 25.77%
Boston, MA 72 74.23%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:02 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I disagree, March sucks worse in Boston. March has little improvement over February, and after the long winter I've had it by March. Everything is so dead and brown looking, it's grose. March says Spring on the calender, and indeed it does start blooming in most other US cities, even as far north the Pacific NW. However looking out the window on spring equinox around these parts is depressing and I start having delusional thoughts about moving to Florida. This year was a perfect example; hardly any spring after an attrocious winter. Sometime in late May it literally went from cold rainy and gloomy to summer in 48 hours. Are you ready for that 96 degree day tomorrow?

On a positive note, August, September, and October in New England is just divine. It tends to dry out a little, warm days and cool nights and leaves turning colors, it's like Shangri La to me at that time of year.

On the thread topic, not a fair comparison. If it was Richmond vs. say Providence or Hartford then it would be a better match. I walked around Richmond one afternoon. It has a quaint little historic area for a few blocks. Honestly I expected more out of it. It has good urban bones and excellent potential. Maybe the prosperity in DC might trickle down to Richmond eventually. Quite a bit of riff raff on one side of downtown, and the city is a bit industrial. And what is that putrid stench when driving on I-95 south of town? Never fails, it stinks there every tome I drive by it.
was the exact same thing in Chicago this year, if that makes you feel any better...was no spring, straight from high 50s, to 90s, with little in between. I just had my winter jacket out 2 weeks ago as the wind chills were sub freezing, now I am in shorts and flip flops like being in Orlando, it was 103 heat index a few days ago. Winter here also sucked, we had the 3rd biggest blizzard in history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 08:35 PM

14 posts, read 15,336 times
"And what is that putrid stench when driving on I-95 south of town? Never fails, it stinks there every tome I drive by it." ... Thats the "Dutch Gap" coal fired, massive electrical power plant, just south of Richmond. The local city ordinances only allow it too come to life after 6PM (dark) in the evening, so that it does'nt pollute and darken the "day time sky" with nasty un-sitely pollution plumes. The Cities local ordinances equally require these same power plants to shut down before sunrise. This is how Richmond hides it smoke bellowing power plants from public view and awareness. The unknowingly residents wrongly blame the smell on the local-municipal-sewer-treatment-plant. HOW BRILLANT ! The smell problem actually doesn't involve the municipal sewer treatment plant at all, and if it did, the city would smell horrific 24-7--365, but yet it doesn't.... The odor is only apparent after 6pm and through out the night, in the low lying areas of downtown.(smoke sinks to the lowest levels) Most Richmond residents haven't any idea of the source of the smell or of how much coal ash and smokey soot is being belched into the "night sky" for 10 to 12 hours of darkness each night. The only clue ? That putrid smell of sulfur that only "coal" has after being burnt , very similar to the smell of raw sewage, but stonger. But hey! Outta site...outta mind...Well ...kinda.

Last edited by O-merrimac; 06-12-2017 at 09:08 PM..

Old 06-12-2017, 09:26 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,184 times
Why would somebody think Richmond has more to do than Boston?

Old 06-12-2017, 10:04 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Weather- Boston

Quality of life- Boston

Traffic- Boston

Restaurants/Food and Shopping- Boston

Career Opportunities- Boston

ML Sports- Boston

Scenery- Boston

Cleanliness- Boston

Entertainment- Boston

Singles Scene- Boston

Cost of living- Richmond

Crime- Boston

Location within the United States- Boston

Residents- Boston

Any other comments-Boston

Which do you personally prefer? I would choose Boston because it a nice clean city. The city is full of history, culture, and job opportunity. I also like the education and professional opportunities. It is largely a clean sweep for Boston.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:45 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Weather- Boston

Quality of life- Boston

Traffic- Boston

Restaurants/Food and Shopping- Boston

Career Opportunities- Boston

ML Sports- Boston

Scenery- Boston

Cleanliness- Boston

Entertainment- Boston

Singles Scene- Boston

Cost of living- Richmond

Crime- Boston

Location within the United States- Boston

Residents- Boston

Any other comments-Boston

Which do you personally prefer? I would choose Boston because it a nice clean city. The city is full of history, culture, and job opportunity. I also like the education and professional opportunities. It is largely a clean sweep for Boston.
You think Boston has better traffic than Richmond???

And living in Nashville, I'd think you would prefer Richmond's weather over Boston's.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:34 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Why would somebody think Richmond has more to do than Boston?
Lol Exactly. they are sooooo not in the same league. Richmond will never be what Boston is as DC is too close and at this point Raleigh-Durham as well. Richmond is a fine place but matching it against Boston is laughable at every point. Except for maybe weather. Those winters in Boston are not for most people.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:44 AM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Lol Exactly. they are sooooo not in the same league. Richmond will never be what Boston is as DC is too close and at this point Raleigh-Durham as well. Richmond is a fine place but matching it against Boston is laughable at every point. Except for maybe weather. Those winters in Boston are not for most people.
Richmond has better in city white water rafting, so there's that.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:54 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Disagreed. The Triangle is a good four hours from DC and far enough removed to become a truly major metro area in its own right.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:36 AM

193 posts, read 204,221 times
Well since Boston has about 4X the population of Richmond, one would expect that Boston would have more of most everything and it probably does. Too, Boston's size and density allowed it to have the nation's first subway system, and its position as the only major city in all of New England is why it is home to several major-league sports teams. Richmond can't compete in those areas.

However, even with its smaller size, Richmond and Boston are similar in several respects. Some examples--

*both are state capitals with magnificent capitol buildings (Virginia capitol--Thomas Jefferson, 1788 vs. Mass. State House--Charles Bulfinch, 1798);

*both have beautiful Victorian neighborhoods (The Fan District vs Back Bay);

*each has a magnificent "City Beautiful" boulevard (Monument Avenue vs Commonwealth Avenue);

*each has historic churches (St. John's Church/Patrick Henry vs Old North Church/Paul Revere);

*each has historic battlefields (Cold Harbor vs Bunker Hill);

*each is a financial center (5th Federal Reserve Bank Headquarters in Richmond vs 1st FRBD Headquarters in Boston), and

*each can lay claim to Edgar Allan Poe (Poe was born in Boston in 1809. Orphaned at age two, Poe was taken in by John Allan, a Richmond merchant. In 1835, Poe became editor of the "Southern Literary Messenger" in Richmond).

Even though Richmond isn't big by Boston standards, it is big enough (and old enough) to provide the amenities most seek in big city living. Outstanding museums, theaters, historic sites, restaurants, shopping, college sports, parks and arboretums--Richmond has it all. Even though I love Boston, I would choose Richmond as a place to live as its amenities come with a milder climate and lower cost of living. In fact I did live in Richmond once--and love it still. There is a charm and grace about the city that I have found no place else.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:20 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
I prefer Richmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City