Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these two cities is the best? Also please describe why!
Columbus, OH 23 54.76%
Richmond, VA 19 45.24%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 09:27 PM

21 posts, read 55,451 times

Advertisements

I don't see this one out there! I am from Columbus, and generally do not like it. I am seeking to relocate, and Richmond, VA is on my list. This is due to family, but I have also noted that it is near the coast.

Anyhow, let the discussion begin!

Columbus: Great city if you are in college, and like OSU. Landlocked. Cold, very gray winters. It is a fairly large city, with a pretty decent economy. Nice during the summer(hot and humid, much like Richmond). Very nice zoo!

Richmond: I dont know a lot, but did have a recent visit. Extremely rich in history. Much milder winter... do not know about it being gray though. Pretty nice downtown area. Lots more seafood options. Close to the east coast, DC, and the I95 corridor. Mountains nearby.

Help me out here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 10:42 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
I've visited both cities and it is quite an interesting comparison.

Both are state capitals and river cities. Richmond has institutions of higher learning (VCU, VUU, etc.) but isn't dominated by them the way Columbus is by OSU. Both cities also have five F500 companies within their borders, plus an additional one in the suburbs giving each metro a total of six F500 headquarters. Columbus is the largest municipality within its state, but both Columbus and Richmond are the third largest metros in their respective states.

As was mentioned, Richmond is very historic and is actually in the same class as the historic Southern heavyweights of New Orleans, Charleston, and Savannah. However, unlike those cities, Richmond isn't coastal and thus didn't really develop a unique signature local culture (a lot of which revolves around cuisine) in the same way as those other cities; however, I also think it does a better job of preserving its historic identity while not being totally defined by it. It has kept the history but has also become a modern city that's a bit underrated if you ask me. It's traditionally urban and has done a great job of rehabbing older buildings into modern uses. However, it does seem to struggle with crime to a larger degree than Columbus. The city is also becoming something of a Southern gateway to the Bos-Wash corridor and is only about an hour from DC which is a nice advantage to have. I think the biggest things that differentiate Richmond from Columbus are history and the influence of one large university.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:57 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,028 times
In my opinion, Columbus.
I was able to spend a week in downtown Columbus last summer, and loved it. Downtown is very clean and walkable. There is a good selection of restaurants and a very nice White Castle in the Short North district . The convention center was modern and though strange-looking from the outside, had a nice interior. I like how High Street intersects the city. You can walk from the Capitol all the way up to the OSU campus.
I haven't spent as much time in Richmond, but I preferred Columbus' downtown to Richmond's. I need to explore "The Fan" just west of downtown RIC.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:00 PM

What I like about Richmond is that you have downtown proper, plus other historic urban districts. Here's a good photo tour of Richmond, although it's not comprehensive: Learning from Richmond | Metro Jacksonville

Old 06-04-2011, 04:02 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
In my opinion, Columbus.
I was able to spend a week in downtown Columbus last summer, and loved it. Downtown is very clean and walkable. There is a good selection of restaurants and a very nice White Castle in the Short North district . The convention center was modern and though strange-looking from the outside, had a nice interior. I like how High Street intersects the city. You can walk from the Capitol all the way up to the OSU campus.
I haven't spent as much time in Richmond, but I preferred Columbus' downtown to Richmond's. I need to explore "The Fan" just west of downtown RIC.

Wow - Columbus has a downtown White Castle !

Old 06-09-2011, 07:51 PM

21 posts, read 55,451 times
Quote:
In my opinion, Columbus.
Some parts of DT columbus are nice. No offense though, a White Castle is not on my list for reasons to re-locate.

You do need to hang around Richmond a little more. I found that it also has a lot of nice areas to walk downtown, and there is more to see than a white castle.. lol

Old 06-10-2011, 02:42 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,431 times
Quote:
In my opinion, Columbus.
I'm surprised by this. I just have never felt like downtown Columbus has much of anything to offer at all. With that said, I have never been to Richmond so I can't really comment on anything except Columbus.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:36 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times
I lived 5 years in Columbus. I visited Richmond only once for a job interview with their major employer, Capital One. All I saw of RIchmond was the drive in and out, and it looked very "woodsy" and a little too "rural", and yet closer to the core of the city it was very dense, gritty and frankly, ghetto. The downtown looked nice, but I have NO IDEA what I would do in Richmond. The bottom line for me is that:

I have no family in Richmond OR the surrounding 500 mile area (unless Cleveland is w/in 500 mi.)
I have no friends in the area
I know nothing of the public schools, but I assume not so good? (have a child)
It's smaller than the smallest city size I'd be willing to live in (2 million-ish, by FAR the smallest, 3 million or more preferable for a metro area)
Weather is much too warm/hot (Yes, there is such a thing as "too hot"), and there is no real winter the way I define winter
I don't know about the economy or most of its employers

These things Columbus has in excess of Richmond, so I chose C-bus. I'd be willing to listen more about Richmond and why it may be better!

Old 06-10-2011, 04:43 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I've visited both cities and it is quite an interesting comparison.

Both are state capitals and river cities. Richmond has institutions of higher learning (VCU, VUU, etc.) but isn't dominated by them the way Columbus is by OSU. Both cities also have five F500 companies within their borders, plus an additional one in the suburbs giving each metro a total of six F500 headquarters. Columbus is the largest municipality within its state, but both Columbus and Richmond are the third largest metros in their respective states.

As was mentioned, Richmond is very historic and is actually in the same class as the historic Southern heavyweights of New Orleans, Charleston, and Savannah. However, unlike those cities, Richmond isn't coastal and thus didn't really develop a unique signature local culture (a lot of which revolves around cuisine) in the same way as those other cities; however, I also think it does a better job of preserving its historic identity while not being totally defined by it. It has kept the history but has also become a modern city that's a bit underrated if you ask me. It's traditionally urban and has done a great job of rehabbing older buildings into modern uses. However, it does seem to struggle with crime to a larger degree than Columbus. The city is also becoming something of a Southern gateway to the Bos-Wash corridor and is only about an hour from DC which is a nice advantage to have. I think the biggest things that differentiate Richmond from Columbus are history and the influence of one large university.
richmond an hour away from dc? lol not in a million years. 2 hours minimum without traffic. with traffic, you're probably looking at over 4 hours. 95 can be nasty bad even when it's not rush hour.

as for the poll, less people will vote for richmond because it's in the south. that's a big turn-off for the ignorant here even though many of them have never stepped foot in virginia, or even the south, let alone richmond.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
richmond an hour away from dc? lol not in a million years. 2 hours minimum without traffic. with traffic, you're probably looking at over 4 hours. 95 can be nasty bad even when it's not rush hour.
Maybe not an hour from city proper to city proper, but roughly from metro to metro. I do not recall it taking me 2-4 hours though, but then again, I've never made that drive in rush hour traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City