Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which collar?
Blue 34 14.47%
White 67 28.51%
A little bit of both 148 62.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 05:00 PM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times

Advertisements

I'd say a mix of both. That's something I like about where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 12:01 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,765,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
dc is blue collar? could have fooled me.
Don't get around DC much?

Old 06-13-2011, 12:07 AM

929 posts, read 1,889,161 times
All cities have a mix of "blue collar" and "white collar" people. If they didn't, the cities would not be able to function.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:31 AM

546 posts, read 1,170,756 times
I think it is horrible that yuppies move in and raise the prices, pushing the poor working families out of places like Brooklyn and others. I am not even a New Yorker but I still think it is wrong. I think white collar people should be able to move into a city but they should condense into areas already that have them, not kick the blue collar people out and if there is no more space, they shouldn't come anymore. That is why I think cities should have growth control. Once space runs out, that should be it. I know if I move to NYC, I'd want to move into an area that already has white collar transplants and yuppies and had them for a while, not move into a blue collar area with natives and end up raising the price to kick them out.

I like having a bit of both because having both white and blue makes things interesting. I think having a homogenous area is boring to me.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:19 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,487,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
I think it is horrible that yuppies move in and raise the prices, pushing the poor working families out of places like Brooklyn and others. I am not even a New Yorker but I still think it is wrong. I think white collar people should be able to move into a city but they should condense into areas already that have them, not kick the blue collar people out and if there is no more space, they shouldn't come anymore. That is why I think cities should have growth control. Once space runs out, that should be it. I know if I move to NYC, I'd want to move into an area that already has white collar transplants and yuppies and had them for a while, not move into a blue collar area with natives and end up raising the price to kick them out.

I like having a bit of both because having both white and blue makes things interesting. I think having a homogenous area is boring to me.
you think homogenous areas are boring but you basically want to "segregate" blue and white collar citizens???

Old 06-13-2011, 09:53 AM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
All cities have a mix of "blue collar" and "white collar" people. If they didn't, the cities would not be able to function.
True, but many cities have a relative imbalance one way or the other.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:03 AM

546 posts, read 1,170,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
you think homogenous areas are boring but you basically want to "segregate" blue and white collar citizens???
I think it is ok if you walk down several blocks and it goes from a yuppie hipster white collar utopia to a blue collar area with soul. If they are segregated and keep those lines, then gentrification will not happen and the blue collar area will stay that way without rents rising. A place can be diverse and not homogenous even if people of certain type cluster together, like how Chinatowns in cities are clustered with Chinese people yet they add diversity to a city.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:38 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,846,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I'd say Pittsburgh is predominately blue collar, even though it has become progressively more white collar over the last 10 years. I definitely like a little bit of both. Philly, Chicago, and New York exemplify that best I'd say. They also happen to be 3 of my favorite cities.
What industries does Pittsburgh have left that makes it present-day "Blue Collar"??? Steel is GONE! Manufacturing is almost none existent....Only thing I think you can remotely attribute is the Film industry...

Old 06-13-2011, 11:47 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,372,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Don't get around DC much?
DC is arguably the most white collar city in the US.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:08 PM

12,000 posts, read 12,842,421 times
IMO blue collar cities are much more authentic and thus more appealing. Most of the time trends/clothing styles/music evolves from lower classes (blue collar) and becomes well known and accepted when it is adapted by those with more income and visibility (white collar).
Good examples of major cities that are historically blue collar are Philly, Boston, NYC, Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City