Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...........
DC 49 44.95%
ATL 49 44.95%
Tied 11 10.09%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:58 AM

72,797 posts, read 62,084,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Solution to that: Don't live in Cobb County.
If it were that simple. I am too close to graduating from college to transfer universities. If I transfer, my tuition rate will go up, some of my credits won't transfer. And this is just the school part. Rent in Atlanta, compared to Cobb County, isn't cheap. If I want to live in a nice area and not worry about getting shot, it will cost more than in Cobb County. I do work, but it won't be enough. The only reason I'm in Cobb County is for the cost of living.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:10 AM

13,674 posts, read 15,574,875 times
Quote:
If you were in DC, you'd be in a similar situation. WMATA shuts down at 12am (an hour earlier than MARTA) and starts at 5:30 am Monday thru Friday. On Friday Night and Saturday it closes at 2am and doesn't start until 8am Saturday and Sunday morning ()
Ummm...in a word NO! Metro closes at 3:00 a.m. on weekends (Friday and Saturday) and the last train to leave Adam's Morgan party district is even later at 3:20 a.m. Our last trains don't get to the end of the lines till around 3:40 a.m. You might want to check this site before posting about our transit system. And we won't even start on buses. Marta buses are the biggest joke of almost any city. DC has buses that run 24hrs.

http://www.wmata.com/pdfs/rail/Weekends.pdf

Last edited by MDAllstar; 06-17-2011 at 11:59 AM..

Old 06-17-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If it were that simple. I am too close to graduating from college to transfer universities. If I transfer, my tuition rate will go up, some of my credits won't transfer. And this is just the school part. Rent in Atlanta, compared to Cobb County, isn't cheap. If I want to live in a nice area and not worry about getting shot, it will cost more than in Cobb County. I do work, but it won't be enough. The only reason I'm in Cobb County is for the cost of living.
With Ride On in Montgomery County a suburb of DC, you wouldn't have a problem getting around on transit. But that is the difference between Atlanta and the DMV. Ride On in Montgomery County caries about 90,000 people a day and it's a suburban county bus system!

Old 06-17-2011, 11:40 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,408,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I think you're going overboard. No one flies or comes to ATL from all over the nation just to party. It's no Miami, Las Vegas or New Orleans. Those videos could have easily been anywhere; ya'll post all these videos but they aren't showing anything unique or amazing.
That's where you're wrong. Far far more people in the entertainment industry do actually fly specifically to Atlanta for business and then they mix pleasure. Atlanta is actually an important spot in America's entertainment industry today. D.C. is not. That's just the truth. I can name milllions and millions of dollars worth of albums and videos produced here in Atlanta each year you simply can not do that in D.C.. For you to look at those videos and say " Oh that happens everywhere" Would be like me to look at videos of all the big government procedures taking place on Capital Hill and say " Oh that happens in every city"

Last edited by Galounger; 06-17-2011 at 12:11 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 11:45 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,284,505 times
Atlanta's gay scene blows D.C.'s out of the water. There is more to this place than many of you DMV denizens are willing to admit. Guess Atlanta winning a poll against D.C. just doesn't sit well with some folks here.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Atlanta's gay scene blows D.C.'s out of the water. There is more to this place than many of you DMV denizens are willing to admit. Guess Atlanta winning a poll against D.C. just doesn't sit well with some folks here.
That is very true. Atlanta is the black gay capital. You guys can have that title though. San Fran is the gay capital period but Atlanta definitely is the black gay capital. You know that brings up a very interesting point. I think an argument could be made that DC has a better straight party scene and Atlanta has a better gay party scene. I know many women that have said Atlanta is the best place to meet a guy if your gay but not really for a women to meet a guy. Something to think about and could also maybe draw a line between this debate that is really played out.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 06-17-2011 at 11:57 AM..

Old 06-17-2011, 11:53 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,103,386 times
Quote:
No.

LOL! You know that's not how that word is spelled, right? Yet you are calling people country. {pat on the head}

Hmm, qualify that.

What, black folks in DC don't like chicken and beer? Stop acting, slim.

Well apparently people in DC consider the nightlife there is a beast (I guess that's what you meant).

Countless times on this thread people posted the various party districts in Atlanta. They would be Virigina-Highland, Atkins Park, L5P, EAV, Castleberry Hill, Crescent Avenue just to name a few. Yet, you continue to act like no one has mentioned these.
No! I spelled it right. It's called "sice." You are not from the DMV so you wouldn't know what it means.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:55 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,103,386 times
Quote:
If you were in DC, you'd be in a similar situation. WMATA shuts down at 12am (an hour earlier than MARTA) and starts at 5:30 am Monday thru Friday. On Friday Night and Saturday it closes at 2am and doesn't start until 8am Saturday and Sunday morning ()

You know this is so misinformed I don't know where to start. Plus DC has bus lines that run all night long.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:59 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,408,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Similar, but not the same. The only way to get from Cobb County(Kennesaw specifically) to Atlanta is to take 2 buses to a MARTA station and then take MARTA rail. At least WMAT runs on Sunday. CCT doesn't run on Sunday. I would be stuck.
You living out in Cobb and complaining about no Marta would be the same as me living out in Reston or Woodbridge and complaining about the Metro.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
You living out in Cobb and complaining about no Marta would be the same as me living out in Reston or Woodbridge and complaining about the Metro.
The metro is on it's way to Reston as we speak and buses run 7 days a week everywhere in the DC area. The metro silver line phase 1 opens in less than two years 2013 and phase two opens in 2016. DC is not Atlanta remember. Woodbridge has commuter rail (VRE) already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City