U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-25-2012, 10:47 AM
 
Location: NYC
2,252 posts, read 2,453,512 times
Reputation: 1554

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Ive never done any of that. I don't know anyone who has. You need to stop, you sound downright ridiculous. First off, if I was going to hang out in Venice I would take the bus. Second I would hang out there all night. Why would I go somewhere else? When I am done (oh so early at two??? I honestly don't get your obsession with this, I'm not in college anymore or an alcoholic) I just hop on the owl service bus and I'm back in Hollywood in 30 minutes.
Never heard of Venice as a big night spot. It's one active stretch of boardwalk but hardly anything of interest around it within walking distance. Two blocks away - Pacific Avenue -- is mostly an empty* stretch of highway. You are gonna spend the whole day and night there and then take a 30 min bus home? Sounds like fun.


*For the slow kids in the crowd like pwright: by "empty" I don't mean it's surrounded by empty fields, but there is no activity.

 
Old 01-25-2012, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
10,087 posts, read 12,573,038 times
Reputation: 3941
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
If you're talking about the musical scenes and history, than I misunderstood your post. And I agree that LA trumps South Florida. The whole 80's Metal scene alone trumps Miami. Rap trumps Miami(NWA, The Game, Snoop, Dre, Pharcyde, Kendrick Lamar>Rick Ross, 2 Live Crew, Ace Hood, Trina, Trick Daddy etc). Alternative rock(RHCP alone kills Miami). But one new group that's been in the indie scene since 09 that's from West Palm Beach is a band called Surfer Blood. They're pretty good. But yeah, LA's music scene currently and historically is tops in the nation. I love this Indie Band from LA that's been around since 04 called Warpaint. Anyone who listens to Indie music's heard of Warpaint.
LA has a pretty great indie scene (with great venues), but some of the bands are a little too electronic based for me.

I think LA is tops for 90s hip hop, 80s punk/hardcore, 80s metal, and obviously because it is the home of so many major labels, pop music.
 
Old 01-25-2012, 10:53 AM
 
47 posts, read 34,691 times
Reputation: 40
gotta go with miami over los angeles. more compact, more vibrant and I prefer the climate, also miami's beaches are much nicer for swimming. no smog either, and having the carribean a stone throw away is a giant bonus
 
Old 01-25-2012, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,045 posts, read 1,543,905 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Never heard of Venice as a big night spot. It's one active stretch of boardwalk but hardly anything of interest around it within walking distance. Two blocks away - Pacific Avenue -- is mostly an empty* stretch of highway. You are gonna spend the whole day and night there and then take a 30 min bus home? Sounds like fun.


*For the slow kids in the crowd like pwright: by "empty" I don't mean it's surrounded by empty fields, but there is no activity.
The nightlife in Venice does exist , granted it is NOT comparable to Hollywood, West Hollywood, etc.

But there are plenty bars/lounges in Venice....not on the boardwalk but less than a block from the beach.

I am surprised you said you LIKE Venice Beach b/c I've never seen anything in Miami Beach with a vibe like that. You'd have to take a very long bus or get in your car and go the Coconut Grove to find anything in Miami with a bohemian vibe like that.
 
Old 01-25-2012, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
10,087 posts, read 12,573,038 times
Reputation: 3941
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
The nightlife in Venice does exist , granted it is NOT comparable to Hollywood, West Hollywood, etc.

But there are plenty bars/lounges in Venice....not on the boardwalk but less than a block from the beach.

I am surprised you said you LIKE Venice Beach b/c I've never seen anything in Miami Beach with a vibe like that. You'd have to take a very long bus or get in your car and go the Coconut Grove to find anything in Miami with a bohemian vibe like that.
And personally when I visit a city I don't spend my entire time in one neighborhood. How do you get from Miami Beach back into the city? Do I /GASP/ have to take a bus?
 
Old 01-25-2012, 10:59 AM
 
14,006 posts, read 21,968,210 times
Reputation: 4086
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
LA has a pretty great indie scene (with great venues), but some of the bands are a little too electronic based for me.

I think LA is tops for 90s hip hop, 80s punk/hardcore, 80s metal, and obviously because it is the home of so many major labels, pop music.
LA has a great non-electronic, non-syth, Indie scene. There's plenty of new(when I say "new" I mean post-90's new millennium, bands that have come out in the last 10 years) Garage/Punk/Surfer/Noise Indie rock bands in LA's scene: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40_Bands_80_Minutes!

No Age
Warpaint
Wavves
Best Coast
The Like
Dum Dum Girls
PRE
Gowns
Wives
EMA
Mika Miko

Just to name a few(some of those bands weren't on that DVD but are part of LA's scene).
 
Old 01-25-2012, 10:59 AM
 
Location: NYC
2,252 posts, read 2,453,512 times
Reputation: 1554
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
The nightlife in Venice does exist , granted it is NOT comparable to Hollywood, West Hollywood, etc.

But there are plenty bars/lounges in Venice....not on the boardwalk but less than a block from the beach.

I am surprised you said you LIKE Venice Beach b/c I've never seen anything in Miami Beach with a vibe like that. You'd have to take a very long bus or get in your car and go the Coconut Grove to find anything in Miami with a bohemian vibe like that.

"Like" maybe too strong a word. I think it's fine -- one of those things you do as a tourist in LA -- but it would never occur to me to stay there for the whole night. Sounds boring.

And I am not a huge fan of Coconut Grove either. It's okay, and probably has better night action than Venice, but I wouldn't normally go there if I go out in Miami.
 
Old 01-25-2012, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,045 posts, read 1,543,905 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
And personally when I visit a city I don't spend my entire time in one neighborhood. How do you get from Miami Beach back into the city? Do I /GASP/ have to take a bus?
No...you will be chained to your neighbohrood and can never leave!

I do give South Beach credit for being a vibrant, energetic place. I love the Art Deco buildings, etc. BUT...as you point out, a neighbhrood is NOT an island. For sheer variety LA trumps Miami.

And I would consider LIVING in Miami....i like the place.
 
Old 01-25-2012, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
10,087 posts, read 12,573,038 times
Reputation: 3941
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
LA has a great non-electronic, non-syth, Indie scene. There's plenty of new Garage/Punk/Surfer/Noise Indie rock bands in LA's scene: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40_Bands_80_Minutes!

No Age
Warpaint
Wavves
Best Coast
The Like
Dum Dum Girls
PRE
Gowns
Wives
EMA
Mika Miko

Just to name a few.
Yeah I have a few Mika Miko records, too bad they broke up. My wife really likes the Dum Dum girls. But I agree with you, generally LA is one of my favorite producers of guitar-based indie. Those bands plus so many more.

What really sets LA apart is that it has so many different venues and they are all so diverse. From the Palladium in Hollywood to the Hollywood Bowl, The Smell to the Troubadour.

Also the cheap comedy is tops. I live a ten minute walk from the Upright Citizens Brigade Theater, no show is more than 10 bucks, most are 5, some are free, and just about every time you will see someone well known or well respected in the comedy world. It's really a steal, plus Franklin Village has a couple of really nice restaurants and bars. I would prefer this night out 100 times over listening to doonch doonch doonch music till 5 AM (though the hot babes are nice).
 
Old 01-25-2012, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
10,087 posts, read 12,573,038 times
Reputation: 3941
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
No...you will be chained to your neighbohrood and can never leave!

I do give South Beach credit for being a vibrant, energetic place. I love the Art Deco buildings, etc. BUT...as you point out, a neighbhrood is NOT an island. For sheer variety LA trumps Miami.

And I would consider LIVING in Miami....i like the place.
I would too, I love the Art Deco buildings in Miami Beach as well.

Unfortunately my wife has read way to many Karl Hiaasen books... I think it is already crossed off the list of places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top