U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 11:14 AM

2,312 posts, read 2,582,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
No...you will be chained to your neighbohrood and can never leave!

I do give South Beach credit for being a vibrant, energetic place. I love the Art Deco buildings, etc. BUT...as you point out, a neighbhrood is NOT an island. For sheer variety LA trumps Miami.

And I would consider LIVING in Miami....i like the place.
Sal -- spot on, pal.

You need to understand the context of this South Beach vs. LA pissing match. On another thread, I made a statement that the action in LA is spread out with no single neighborhood offering the kind of concentration of activity -- dining, shopping, clubbing, etc. -- in a compact walkable environment like you see in South Beach.

Of course the CA homers jumped down my throat with statements like "You have no idea" and "There are at least 10!" Later they climbed down to 3 or 4. Yeah right.

I never made any comparison between LA as a whole vs. Miami as a whole. I think that's a ridiculous comparison frankly when you consider that one is about 5 times the size of the other.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:17 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,747,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Yeah I have a few Mika Miko records, too bad they broke up. My wife really likes the Dum Dum girls. But I agree with you, generally LA is one of my favorite producers of guitar-based indie. Those bands plus so many more.

What really sets LA apart is that it has so many different venues and they are all so diverse. From the Palladium in Hollywood to the Hollywood Bowl, The Smell to the Troubadour.

Also the cheap comedy is tops. I live a ten minute walk from the Upright Citizens Brigade Theater, no show is more than 10 bucks, most are 5, some are free, and just about every time you will see someone well known or well respected in the comedy world. It's really a steal, plus Franklin Village has a couple of really nice restaurants and bars. I would prefer this night out 100 times over listening to doonch doonch doonch music till 5 AM (though the hot babes are nice).
As much as I love Miami Beach, that's the one aspect that put's LA's sheer variety at a higher level than Miami's. I'm not really an electronic guy.(But as you said, the girls are hot). Synth can be ok if done right. I've always been more into the guitar-driven Indie stuff rather than the Chillwave stuff.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:22 AM

9,832 posts, read 7,672,514 times
So basically we've learned that SoBe has a later last call, and has hotels and nightclubs over a square mile area. I hear it has restuarants too! The lulz, and this brainiac is actually talking about having to drive from place to place somewhere which isn't true, you can easily spend a full night in any one of numerous areas without driving). Last I checked, South Beach's 5 blocks o' fun are on an island!

Many great points are being made about the depth, quality, and variety of L.A.'s nightlife. Easily wins out over a later last call (over a tiny little area).

Old 01-25-2012, 11:23 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,103,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
As much as I love Miami Beach, that's the one aspect that put's LA's sheer variety at a higher level than Miami's. I'm not really an electronic guy.(But as you said, the girls are hot). Synth can be ok if done right. I've always been more into the guitar-driven Indie stuff rather than the Chillwave stuff.
When done right, electronic stuff can be pretty great too. But judging from the music played at Hollywood clubs, I can imagine Miami Beach's clubs would be playing the same crap.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Easily wins out over a later last call (over a tiny little area).
I guess I assumed Miami had a later last call too. Is it only Miami Beach that goes all night?

Old 01-25-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
So basically we've learned that SoBe has a later last call, and has hotels and nightclubs over a square mile area. I hear it gas restuarants too! The lulz, and this brainiac is actually talking about driving from Venice to somewhere else? Pretty sure South Beach's 5 blocks o' fun is on an island!

Many great points are being made about the depth, quality, and variety of L.A.'s nightlife. Easily wins out over a later last call (over a tiny little area).
Here is the delusional homer piping in again.

5 blocks? Nice one. Collins and Washington from 5th to 23rd is 1.7 miles. Equivalent to 34 Manhattan blocks of virtually nonstop action.

That's not counting all the adjacent activity on Ocean Drive, Lincoln, Espanola.

Crawl back into your hole homer.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I guess I assumed Miami had a later last call too. Is it only Miami Beach that goes all night?
No. You assumed correct.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:39 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,618,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Sal -- spot on, pal.

You need to understand the context of this South Beach vs. LA pissing match. On another thread, I made a statement that the action in LA is spread out with no single neighborhood offering the kind of concentration of activity -- dining, shopping, clubbing, etc. -- in a compact walkable environment like you see in South Beach.

Of course the CA homers jumped down my throat with statements like "You have no idea" and "There are at least 10!" Later they climbed down to 3 or 4. Yeah right.

I never made any comparison between LA as a whole vs. Miami as a whole. I think that's a ridiculous comparison frankly when you consider that one is about 5 times the size of the other.
I did miss the orig thread but I think I get the gist of it.

Again, I'd easily put Santa Monica, Hollywood, and Downtown LA up against South Beach in terms of a compact concentration of activity. So that is at least three.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Here is the delusional homer piping in again.

5 blocks? Nice one. Collins and Washington from 5th to 23rd is 1.7 miles. Equivalent to 34 Manhattan blocks of virtually nonstop action.

That's not counting all the adjacent activity on Ocean Drive, Lincoln, Espanola.

Crawl back into your hole homer.
So I have never been to South Beach, but going down Collins from 5th on Google Maps Streetview, I don't see anything that is much different than going down Hollywood Blvd. from Sycamore to Gower.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:46 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,110,718 times
Plus West Hollywood -- Sunset Strip and West Hollywood -- Santa Monica Blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City