U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 11:47 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,620,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
"Like" maybe too strong a word. I think it's fine -- one of those things you do as a tourist in LA -- but it would never occur to me to stay there for the whole night. Sounds boring.

And I am not a huge fan of Coconut Grove either. It's okay, and probably has better night action than Venice, but I wouldn't normally go there if I go out in Miami.
There is much more to Venice than the boardwalk.

Abbot Kinney Blvd has bars, boutiques, art galleries, etc.

I also appreciate the history of Venice as a center for creativity be it the beats in the 1950's or the Beyond Baroque Poetry Center which fostered the likes of many poets & musicians (like Wanda Coleman, John Doe and Exene from X, etc).

But if you are not into the arts and prefer clubs than South Beach would be a better fit.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:48 AM

2,312 posts, read 2,585,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
So I have never been to South Beach, but going down Collins from 5th on Google Maps Streetview, I don't see anything that is much different than going down Hollywood Blvd. from Sycamore to Gower.
You have NEVER been to South Beach and yet you are participating in this discussion and opining on walkability, activity levels, etc? That's just hilarious.

And I am the one being called ignorant. At least I have been to LA THREE times and can speak from some personal experience.

Edit: Collins is some shopping and mostly hotels hotels and hotels. So of course it's going to look pretty empty on a nice sunny day when they streetviewed it -- everyone is on the beach. You need to go there and experience it at night.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:51 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,115,862 times
Quote:
You have NEVER been to South Beach and yet you are participating in this discussion and opining on walkability, activity levels, etc? That's just hilarious.

And I am the one being called ignorant. At least I have been to LA THREE times and can speak from some personal experience.
So when were you in Hollywood and what did you do? Because if anything you are the one making judgement calls. I add qualifiers, you try to sound like an expert on everything. I mean, am I being unreasonable?

By the way, what does South Beach have (other than a beach and a late last call) that Hollywood can't offer?

Old 01-25-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:

How many times have you attempted to walk around in Los Angeles? If none, then stop making overarching judgements about the walkability even though many resources and residents tell you that it is very walkable.

Quote:
Edit: Collins is some shopping and mostly hotels hotels and hotels. So of course it's going to look pretty empty on a nice sunny day when they streetviewed it -- everyone is on the beach. You need to go there and experience it at night.
And oh the hypocrisy. That is the exact same issue with you posting streetviews of Ocean Ave in Santa Monica.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:01 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,679,999 times
Quote:

So now Collins is not so happening by day? Lmao, this massive area is getting smaller and smaller by the minute. You'll be hopping around in a circle by the time this discussion ends.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
So when were you in Hollywood and what did you do? Because if anything you are the one making judgement calls. I add qualifiers, you try to sound like an expert on everything.

By the way, what does South Beach have (other than a beach and a late last call) that Hollywood can't offer?

Honestly it's been a few years since my last visit and I don't have extremely detailed memories. Did Venice Beach, SM Promenade (at night), Sunset Strip (at night), Hollywood walk, Rodeo Drive, coastal drive towards Malibu, Manhattan Beach (loved it), Hermosa Beach (or is it Redondo Beach? The one with a strip of bars and restaurants?), etc. All the big tourist spots.

Nowhere did I say that LA is terrible. I don't see things in black and white like delusional homers (my city is perfect! other cities SUCK!) I like LA in its own way. But none of these areas blew me away with their vibe and general activity level over a comparatively large (but still walkable) area like South Beach. That was my experience and I am only talking from personal experience.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
How many times have you attempted to walk around in Los Angeles? If none, then stop making overarching judgements about the walkability even though many resources and residents tell you that it is very walkable.

And oh the hypocrisy. That is the exact same issue with you posting streetviews of Ocean Ave in Santa Monica.
No it's not the same issue. I've been to Ocean Ave during day and NIGHT and it's dead. DEAD. Collins Ave maybe quiet during the day -- all of South Beach is relatively quiet during the day compared to night -- but it's sandwiched between Ocean Drive and Washington and has one hotel after another (many featuring restaurants, hotel bars, etc.) So it's hopping at night. Big difference.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Honestly it's been a few years since my last visit and I don't have extremely detailed memories. Did Venice Beach, SM Promenade (at night), Sunset Strip (at night), Hollywood walk, Rodeo Drive, coastal drive towards Malibu, Manhattan Beach (loved it), Hermosa Beach (or is it Redondo Beach? The one with a strip of bars and restaurants?), etc. All the big tourist spots.
Yep sounds like a pretty typical tourist experience. Not surprised you liked Manhattan Beach, it is very upscale. Redondo and Hermosa are both very walkable and full of bars, lots of nightlife, my wife's best friend lives there. You probably went to Hermosa though, it is the middle beach city.

I don't think that makes one much of an expert at all, however.

Quote:
Nowhere did I say that LA is terrible. I don't see things in black and white like delusional homers (my city is perfect! other cities SUCK!) I like LA in its own way. But none of these areas blew me away with their vibe and general activity level over a comparatively large (but still walkable) area like South Beach. That was my experience and I am only talking from personal experience.
I know you never said that, and you seem to enjoy parts of the city. But some of your wild claims are just offensively incorrect. To make it worse it is mind boggling the way you try to defend them, or one second using walkscore / google maps to prove a point and then the next second write them off as useless .

Old 01-25-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
No it's not the same issue. I've been to Ocean Ave during day and NIGHT and it's dead. DEAD. Collins Ave maybe quiet during the day -- all of South Beach is relatively quiet during the day compared to night -- but it's sandwiched between Ocean Drive and Washington and has one hotel after another (many featuring restaurants, hotel bars, etc.) So it's hopping at night. Big difference.
What night did you go? I'm still not trying to argue that it is more happening than South Beach but if you went on a Tuesday then maybe it seemed dead. The times I have been there it was always pretty full of life. Still too sterile for me though, the same way South Park is a little bizarre downtown.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:32 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,679,999 times
Quote:
LA has a pretty great indie scene (with great venues), but some of the bands are a little too electronic based for me.

I think LA is tops for 90s hip hop, 80s punk/hardcore, 80s metal, and obviously because it is the home of so many major labels, pop music.
Seattle is thought to be the "it" place for alternative rock, but L.A. probably trumps it.

You could argue that L.A. has been the dominant music city in the billboard era (1950's-present).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City