Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 12:35 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,809,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Seattle is thought to be the "it" place for alternative rock, but L.A. probably trumps it.

You could argue that L.A. has been the dominant music city in the billboard era (1950's-present).
Seattle's good too but not as much variety. Having Sub Pop is a huge plus for them.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:44 PM

2,546 posts, read 3,285,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
What night did you go? I'm still not trying to argue that it is more happening than South Beach but if you went on a Tuesday then maybe it seemed dead. The times I have been there it was always pretty full of life. Still too sterile for me though, the same way South Park is a little bizarre downtown.

It's okay to argue with me if the argument is based on facts, rational thought and balance. Not wild boosterim and wishful thinking like our friend Raymond.

I don't remember what day it was. It was years ago, but I am sure it wasn't a weekend.

If you say it gets more active I will take your word for it, though based on what I saw it is hard to believe. It looked almost entirely residential. And when I say it was dead, I mean dead. The only people I remember was a couple of teenagers playing with their dog and a cop ticketing them (right in front of us) for keeping the dog off the leash. True story. That's when I thought: oh boy, this place is not for me.

However active it gets please let's not even put it in the same sentence with Ocean Drive. That's laughable.

Last edited by Fitzrovian; 01-25-2012 at 01:03 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 12:55 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,388,185 times
And still lol @ at wanting facts, when all you've offered is personal anecdotes and google maps (which could have been taken at any time during the day).

Old 01-25-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
And still lol @ at wanting facts, when all you've offered is personal anecdotes and google maps (which could have been taken at any time during the day).

Yes "personal anecdotes". I trust my own eyes more than I trust the wild exaggerations of a delusional homer.

I have been to LA 3 times. That's enough to form an impression.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Yes "personal anecdotes". I trust my own eyes more than I trust the wild exaggerations of a delusional homer.

I have been to LA 3 times. That's enough to form an impression.
Makes sense, your views of LA are very impressionistic and seem like those of someone who vacationed there a couple times and did all the typical tourist things.

Personally, I think Hollywood excels much more as a livable neighborhood than a tourism location. There are many things to see there, yes, but overall unless you are with someone who knows the area or know a lot about it yourself, it can be kind of disappointing (This is true of most heavily touristy places but I think especially true with Hollywood).

Old 01-25-2012, 01:30 PM

31,990 posts, read 34,542,141 times
Quote:
So I have never been to South Beach, but going down Collins from 5th on Google Maps Streetview, I don't see anything that is much different than going down Hollywood Blvd. from Sycamore to Gower.
**BajanYankee makes same facial expression as fat kid from The Sandlot**

What?

What???

What???

You've never been to South Beach????

Man, you're like the 40-year old virgin. You need to go on Delta.com and buy a ticket to Miami Int'l Airport stat! There's a HUUUGE difference between Santa Monica and South Beach. Santa Monica feels like a city in the United States. Miami Beach feels like a city in Latin America or the Caribbean. It's sexy, baby!

Old 01-25-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

What?

What???

What???

Man, you're like the 40-year old virgin. You need to go on Delta.com and buy a ticket to Miami Int'l Airport stat! There's a HUUUGE difference between Santa Monica and South Beach. Santa Monica feels like a city in the United States. Miami Beach feels like a city in Latin America or the Caribbean. It's sexy, baby!
Don't worry I know there is a difference.... But yeah, I guess people don't make as big of a deal out here about Miami Beach as it is on the East Coast. I dunno. I actually don't know many people that have been to South Beach.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Makes sense, your views of LA are very impressionistic and seem like those of someone who vacationed there a couple times and did all the typical tourist things.

Personally, I think Hollywood excels much more as a livable neighborhood than a tourism location. There are many things to see there, yes, but overall unless you are with someone who knows the area or know a lot about it yourself, it can be kind of disappointing (This is true of most heavily touristy places but I think especially true with Hollywood).

This sounds spot on (although by "livable" I would qualify it with "for the right person").

Somehow, after three days of a pissing match, you ended up full circle to the same conclusion I advanced from the get go: LA has a lot going on, but none of its neighborhoods present enough of a draw that would make one want to spend a significant amount of time there.

We don't disagree that much after all, munchitup.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

What?

What???

What???

Finally someone who knows what he is talking about.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
This sounds spot on (although by "livable" I would qualify it with "for the right person").
Well yeah, a lot of folks would not want to live in central Hollywood, but every neighborhood is "livable" to certain people. Many would find Midtown Manhattan totally unlivable.

It has a lot of convenience in a small footprint which I think would surprise many tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.