U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 01:39 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,118,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Finally someone who knows what he is talking about.
LOL he is right that there is big difference, but he doesn't exactly know what he is talking about. He has never been to LA.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:43 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,258,197 times
Quote:
However active it gets please let's not even put it in the same sentence with Ocean Drive. That's laughable.
Comparing Ocean Avenue to Ocean Drive is like comparing U Street (DC) to Bourbon Street (NO).

It's hard to imagine any location in the U.S. hotter than South Beach. Seriously. Where else in the U.S. can you find non-stop party action right by a beach? What other city in the U.S. makes you feel obligated to buy an all-white linen outfit and don a fedora? Where else are random hot chicks so willing to jump onto the back of your motorcycle (or scooter for those who don't have licenses) in a bikini?

Miami's one of those places you visit and always come back home with a story. My eyes are sparkling just writing about it.

Santa Monica is a nice place. No stories.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
LOL he is right that there is big difference, but he doesn't exactly know what he is talking about. He has never been to LA.
Huh? I've been to Los Angeles before. We had this discussion in the Brooklyn vs SF thread.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:44 PM

2,312 posts, read 2,585,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Well yeah, a lot of folks would not want to live in central Hollywood, but every neighborhood is "livable" to certain people. Many would find Midtown Manhattan totally unlivable.

It has a lot of convenience in a small footprint which I think would surprise many tourists.
You had to stick it in there, didn't you? LOL...

I am sure many would! I have met countless people over the years who are horrified by the thought of living in Manhattan. And you know what? It doesn't bother me one bit, and I don't run around calling them ignorant or clueless.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:46 PM

2,312 posts, read 2,585,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Comparing Ocean Avenue to Ocean Drive is like comparing U Street (DC) to Bourbon Street (NO).

It's hard to imagine any location in the U.S. hotter than South Beach. Seriously. Where else in the U.S. can you find non-stop party action right by a beach? What other city in the U.S. makes you feel obligated to buy an all-white linen outfit and don a fedora? Where else are random hot chicks so willing to jump onto the back of your motorcycle (or scooter for those who don't have licenses) in a bikini?

Miami's one of those places you visit and always come back home with a story. My eyes are sparkling just writing about it.

Santa Monica is a nice place. No stories.
Very well stated Bajan. You perspective is a breath of fresh air in the toxic cesspool of delusional boosterism from homers like Raymond.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
You had to stick it in there, didn't you? LOL...

I am sure many would! I have met countless people over the years who are horrified by the thought of living in Manhattan. And you know what? It doesn't bother me one bit, and I don't run around calling them ignorant or clueless.
I wasn't trying to take a shot at you, or Midtown Manhattan. I would live there for sure.

And I have met tons of people (most of my friends) that think I am crazy for living here. I don't think they are clueless either. The reason I think you are ignorant is not because you don't want to live here. It is saying things like

Quote:
You have pockets of walkability, but the area as a whole (even just those 50 sq miles) is not walkable. At least not in the way that most of the world understands that term.
which is just false. Because how would you even know? By driving through it?

Old 01-25-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Huh? I've been to Los Angeles before. We had this discussion in the Brooklyn vs SF thread.
Oh ok. Not worth fighting over

Old 01-25-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Rap trumps Miami(NWA, The Game, Snoop, Dre, Pharcyde, Kendrick Lamar>Rick Ross, 2 Live Crew, Ace Hood, Trina, Trick Daddy etc).
Historically, yes. Currently, no. Driving around Los Angeles listening to NWA would be like driving down the West Side Highway listening to Wu-Tang. While we all acknowledge the contribution and value of both groups, their music has become dated.

On the other hand, meeting up with your boys at the MIA airport, renting a convertible, and cruising into South Beach with the top down while listening to Rick Ross' "Super High" is right on time. That's exactly what I'll be doing in two weeks!

Old 01-25-2012, 01:54 PM

2,881 posts, read 4,618,763 times
I think if this is tourism vs. tourism, Miami wins. Los Angeles is not a tourist friendly town. By the same token, you don't call upon tourists for expertise on cities.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Historically, yes. Currently, no. Driving around Los Angeles listening to NWA would be like driving down the West Side Highway listening to Wu-Tang. While we all acknowledge the contribution and value of both groups, their music has become dated.

On the other hand, meeting up with your boys at the MIA airport, renting a convertible, and cruising into South Beach with the top down while listening to Rick Ross' "Super High" is right on time. That's exactly what I'll be doing in two weeks!
Yeah gotta agree with you on this. Only thing I can think of LA having going for it as far as hip hop is Odd Future and I find that stuff kind of annoying for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City