U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 03:37 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,658,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
To me Miami is Miami Beach & Coconut Grove. You can vacation without needing a car [rent bikes or walk]. During winter there is no place besides Hawaii as comfortable as south Florida. Winter ocean temps are almost as warm as SoCal summer water temps. It is a big party & lots of fun. But by April it is too hot & humid for most Californians used to year-round outdoor life. I like the Latino feel of Miami.

I disagree about nightclubs, if that's one's scene. Everything is conveniently located in Miami Beach but the number of clubs & "famous" night life makes Los Angeles more exciting. Ocean Street in Miami has some nice clubs but is not in the same league as Sunset Strip. Unfortunately it is more expensive in LA.

There's more to do in California than Florida & Miami is a fraction the size of LA but winter in Miami Beach is wonderful

Miami beach is very much apart of miami its just over a bridge thats it. You have to look at the enotire metro because the city limits are very small in miami. IM from there and we always consider miami beach miami. La night life ends too early

Old 03-04-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
If that's the case, then Malibu, Beverly Hills, Costa Mesa, Newport Beach, Riverside, Burbank, Inglewood, Anaheim, Daly City, and many others should be considered LA.
well thats up to them to consider it LA but the people from miami consider miami beach miami

Old 03-04-2009, 04:18 PM

705 posts, read 2,995,341 times
Los Angeles. Better in almost every aspect. I envy Miami's nightlife but L.A. will soon begin to close down past 3am. Many clubs stay open til 5am now and others are switching to 3am as more developers from L.A., Vegas, and San Diego invest in L.A.'s nightlife scene, which even through this economic crisis is still booming.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:05 PM

I hope so because I was having wonderful time in LA and at 9 my friend told me that the club closes at 2 I was like back home ill just be walking out my door to go out. At 2

Old 03-05-2009, 05:40 PM

705 posts, read 2,995,341 times
^^When did you visit L.A.?

Old 05-29-2009, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,608 times
I have had the benefits of spending large amounts of time in both Los Angeles and Miami. I lived in Los Angeles for much of my early childhood, until moving to Miami at age 10. I visit Los Angeles once every six months and stay for a couple weeks.

For those that said that "there are only clubs in South Beach" this is very far from the truth. Sure, there's the beach, which is world-reknowned for its nightlife, but you also have downtown (which I actually prefer over the Beach, its more local-friendly) and the Grove (I love late-night lobster at the marina).

As far as beaches are concerned...you go to California to surf, and you go to Miami to dive and boat. Miami waters are very warm, but in LA the beaches have ice-cold water. Also, a lot of southern California beaches have very conservative dress codes (no thongs, no topless sunbathing, etc). In Miami, they don't give a lick about it.

Los Angeles, by far, has a lot more to do. There's *THREE* theme parks within arm's reach (in Miami, you have to drive to Orlando or Tampa...or wait until the Fair rolls into town), and the food is definitely better (IN-N-Out is yumyum). Los Angeles has a lot more history, you can feel the old-timeyness of the Golden Age as you walk down Hollywood and Highland. There is a plethora of shopping in LA, where you can find practically anything, which I like.

However, I find LA people to be very superficial, fake, and cold. Miami people are a lot more jovial and friendly. I also think Miami girls are 1000x hotter than LA girls (I'm sorry, LA girls are very very very ugly). LA does not like to be upstaged, and I read recently that they're trying to do away with LA's notorious last call laws because Vegas and Miami are outshining LA in nightlife. How pathetic is that?

To add more salt to the wound, my brother and I went to a Cuban restaurant in LA, and while we waited on our food, they served us chips and salsa. You do not serve chips and salsa at a Cuban restaurant. You serve that very oily, garlicky Cuban toast that Cuban restaurants are known for.

As an American of Hispanic descent, I certainly feel more welcome in Miami. Its one of the few places in the United States where Hispanics are thriving and successful. In LA, I see Hispanics are typically low- to middle-class, and oft wonder "What's holding them back? If Hispanics can make it Miami, why can't they make it in LA?"

tl;dr: Both cities have their pluses and minuses, but I very much prefer Miami over LA.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:15 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,956,970 times
LA no contest.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:53 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,721,997 times
I have to disagree with anyone who claims that people in LA are more superficial than Miami. I live in Miami, but I've spent a lot of time in Los Angeles and (in my opinion), I find that people in Miami are even more fake, superficial and pretentious than people in Los Angeles. Miami wants to be Los Angeles, but it's not. Both cities are quite similar in many ways, but Los Angeles edges it for me, just because 1) it's a much more culturally diverse city and 2) there are far more things to do and more in the way of surrounding scenery.

The big difference though:

- Los Angeles has Hollywood, film, record labels based there and actors galore.
- Miami mostly just has "wannabes" who in reality, will never-be.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:28 AM

1,291 posts, read 3,489,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I have to disagree with anyone who claims that people in LA are more superficial than Miami. I live in Miami, but I've spent a lot of time in Los Angeles and (in my opinion), I find that people in Miami are even more fake, superficial and pretentious than people in Los Angeles...
The big difference though:

- Los Angeles has Hollywood, film, record labels based there and actors galore.
- Miami mostly just has "wannabes" who in reality, will never-be.
I agree with this. Miami isn't exactly known as a place with genuine people, though of course there is, but like LA's stereotype there is truth to it.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:41 AM

2 posts, read 7,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
What are the differences between these two cities ? What are the similarities? What are the advantages and disadvantages of living in each city. Which city has better nightlife?
L.A is a fun place to visit but you get really bored there its real esstate does even make paying there worth it. Trust me Miami is way more fun with greater mentality. L.A is not what it looks like what they show on T.V. The pollutuion is horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.