U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-25-2012, 08:53 AM
 
Location: NYC
2,319 posts, read 2,588,589 times
Reputation: 1665

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Next thing you know he'll be saying how Venice Beach has no character - or that it is like the "suburbs" by the sea!
Ocean Avenue, 3 blocks from the promenade.

Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA - Google Maps


Yeah, that looks like a happening spot. Just like Ocean Drive:

Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL - Google Maps


Facts. Not fantasy.

 
Old 01-25-2012, 09:08 AM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,779,668 times
Reputation: 4214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
1. Santa Monica > Miami Beach/So. Beach
2. West Hollywood > Miami Beach /So. Beach
3. Hollywood > Miami Beach/So. Beach

The nightlife argument made by So.Floridians is not credible in my book because:

1. Yes, there are more douche bag night clubs in So. Beach. But who wants to hang with doche bags?
2. West Hollywood (and/or Hollywood) EASILY trump So. Beach in the sheer variety of nightlife offerings (live music of every stripe, comedy clubs, plays, etc).

The history of pop/rock music without WeHo/Hollywood is impossible to imagine without the bands/sounds/music created in that stretch of clubs/bars, etc. Go out any night of the week and catch ANY style of music you want played by some of the BEST musicians in the world.

Miami Beach / So. Beach is not even in the same conversation in this regard. And I say as someone who generally LIKES Miami/Miami Beach.
I like LA, I want to go REALLY badly. But c'mon!! I don't mind if you PREFER Santa Monica/West Hollywood to Miami/South Beach, I don't even mind if you say Santa Monica/West Hollywood is slightly better, BUT to say the South Beach isn't even in the same CONVERSATION as West.Ho/SM is ridiculous. So what tier would you put South Beach in terms of nightlife? With cities like Cincinnati? Charlotte? Buffalo?
 
Old 01-25-2012, 09:09 AM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,779,668 times
Reputation: 4214
Not even in the same conversation?? Seriously?
 
Old 01-25-2012, 09:11 AM
 
Location: NYC
2,319 posts, read 2,588,589 times
Reputation: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I like LA, I want to go REALLY badly. But c'mon!! I don't mind if you PREFER Santa Monica/West Hollywood to Miami/South Beach, I don't even mind if you say Santa Monica/West Hollywood is slightly better, BUT to say the South Beach isn't even in the same CONVERSATION as West.Ho/SM is ridiculous. So what tier would you put South Beach in terms of nightlife? With cities like Cincinnati? Charlotte? Buffalo?
It's called delusional homerism, polo89. A common affliction on this site, especially among the insecure California homers.
 
Old 01-25-2012, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
10,087 posts, read 13,126,644 times
Reputation: 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Not even in the same conversation?? Seriously?
As far as influence on popular / independent music and the world of comedy, it is not in the same conversation. I think that is what he was saying.
 
Old 01-25-2012, 09:22 AM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,779,668 times
Reputation: 4214
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
As far as influence on popular / independent music and the world of comedy, it is not in the same conversation. I think that is what he was saying.
I thought he was strictly talking about nightlife and amenities.
 
Old 01-25-2012, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
10,087 posts, read 13,126,644 times
Reputation: 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I thought he was strictly talking about nightlife and amenities.
I could be wrong but I think he was just talking about music and comedy. Other than NYC I don't think there are any cities that stack up to LA in that regard.
 
Old 01-25-2012, 09:33 AM
 
Location: NYC
2,319 posts, read 2,588,589 times
Reputation: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Ocean Avenue, 3 blocks from the promenade.

Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA - Google Maps


Yeah, that looks like a happening spot. Just like Ocean Drive:

Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL - Google Maps


Facts. Not fantasy.

Monchitup, you were also asking me what was so special about Lincoln Road.

Let me demonstrate.

Here are a couple of snapshots of Lincoln Road:

Alton Rd to 16th St - Google Maps

Lincoln Road, Miami Beach, FL - Google Maps

Packed with alfresco dining almost end to end. Many of these restaurants serve food until 2 am when most of LA is asleep. You can only imagine what this place looks like at night.


And here are a couple from the SM equivalent:

Santa Monica Place, Santa Monica, CA - Google Maps

Santa Monica Place, Santa Monica, CA - Google Maps


Do you notice any difference?
 
Old 01-25-2012, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
10,087 posts, read 13,126,644 times
Reputation: 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Monchitup, you were also asking me what was so special about Lincoln Road.

Let me demonstrate.

Here are a couple of snapshots of Lincoln Road:

Alton Rd to 16th St - Google Maps

Lincoln Road, Miami Beach, FL - Google Maps

Packed with alfresco dining almost end to end. Many of these restaurants serve food until 2 am when most of LA is asleep. You can only imagine what this place looks like at night.


And here are a couple from the SM equivalent:

Santa Monica Place, Santa Monica, CA - Google Maps

Santa Monica Place, Santa Monica, CA - Google Maps


Do you notice any difference?
How do you know what time of the day these streetviews were shot at? Dude you should stop going off of google maps for your vibrancy judgements

PS I don't really want to defend the Promenade. What a soulless yuppy land. I'll take me some Ocean Front Walk in Venice Beach any day over either of those places. Just not really my scene.
 
Old 01-25-2012, 09:42 AM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,779,668 times
Reputation: 4214
The promenade has nice architecture. I like the way it's built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:47 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top