Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 02:05 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,092 times

Advertisements

Lol @ minescule South Beach being a better tourist city. Only if you're easily impressed.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:10 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Lol @ minescule South Beach being a better tourist. Only if you're easily impressed.
What is there to do in Santa Monica? Really. I don't feel like it's a place like Vegas or South Beach that you and your homies actually "gameplan" for. A Miami trip requires careful preparation. I felt like Santa Monica is a place where you show up, look at the pier, maybe do some shopping, and then go home. Miami is you and your wolfpack on the prowl on Washington and Collins looking to devour the tastiest prey in sight. And the prey is dying to be captured!

Old 01-25-2012, 02:19 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What is there to do in Santa Monica? Really. I don't feel like it's a place like Vegas or South Beach that you and your homies actually "gameplan" for. A Miami trip requires careful preparation. I felt like Santa Monica is a place where you show up, look at the pier, maybe do some shopping, and then go home. Miami is you and your wolfpack on the prowl on Washington and Collins looking to devour the tastiest prey in sight. And the prey is dying to be captured!
So I haven't been to South Beach but I have been to Vegas quite a few times... Assuming Vegas = South Beach, I would have agree that South Beach has more going on than Santa Monica. I could probably spend an entire week there without getting bored, but it would be a little more relaxing instead of non-stop partying. There would be some partying, just not as much.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:21 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,092 times
Lol @ game-planning for nightclubs. SM has museums, shops, the pier, the promenade, theaters, upscale dining, and tons of bars (largest concentration of British in the U.S.), all in one compact area. That's just one of any great neighborhoods in L.A. It's nowhere near the "whole shebang" South Beach is to Miami.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:26 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
So I haven't been to South Beach but I have been to Vegas quite a few times... Assuming Vegas = South Beach, I would have agree that South Beach has more going on than Santa Monica. I could probably spend an entire week there without getting bored, but it would be a little more relaxing instead of non-stop partying. There would be some partying, just not as much.
Are you quoting me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I did not mean to suggest that LA's hub of activity has to be downtown. Downtown makes a lot of sense, but it can be anywhere! And there can be more than one. They just need to be better than what they are now. Look at Miami for example. South Beach is fantastic and away from downtown. Miami does not get much praise on these sites, but South Beach is a terrific urban environment IMO: dense, walkable, compact, has all amenities you need and plenty of shopping and entertainment. You could easily go there for a week and have an amazing time without ever wanting to go anywhere else. LA does not have a single district that combines all these qualities in such a compact, walkable environment.
I always knew you had a sensible side to you, munchitup.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I don't think I could spend more than a weekend at either one. But I think the Vegas strip and Ocean Drive are about neck and neck in terms of overall excitement. I would give the edge to Miami because (1) the beach and (2) the humidity, which allows you to go into the water at night time. It also causes women's skin to glisten, so that's another benefit of the humidity.

I think the water and the beach is far superior in Miami. It's crystal clear/light blue-ish green. And the beach is bigger, longer, whiter and softer.

I know a lot of people prefer Santa Monica's climate, but I prefer South Beach's warm nights and cool breezes. What's wrong with a little perspiration? Some like it hot, I guess. Others don't. I've never seen the appeal of a place where I have to layer up all year round. I love swim trunks and sandals too much. I'm truly a Caribbean boy at heart.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:30 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
I don't think I could spend more than a weekend at either one. But I think the Vegas strip and Ocean Drive are about neck and neck in terms of overall excitement. I would give the edge to Miami because (1) the beach and (2) the humidity, which allows you to go into the water at night time. It also causes women's skin to glisten, so that's another benefit of the humidity.

I think the water and the beach is far superior in Miami. It's crystal clear/light blue-ish green. And the beach is bigger, longer, whiter and softer.

I know a lot of people prefer Santa Monica's climate, but I prefer South Beach's warm nights and cool breezes. What's wrong with a little perspiration? Some like it hot, I guess. Others don't. I've never seen the appeal of a place where I have to layer up all year round. I love swim trunks and sandals too much. I'm truly a Caribbean boy at heart.
For a weekend I would probably prefer South Beach's climate.

I agree, when it is time to leave Vegas I have pretty much worn myself down to nothing. A week there would probably kill me

Old 01-25-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Lol @ game-planning for nightclubs. SM has museums, shops, the pier, the promenade, theaters, upscale dining, and tons of bars (largest concentration of British in the U.S.), all in one compact area. That's just one of any great neighborhoods in L.A. It's nowhere near the "whole shebang" South Beach is to Miami.
*Yawn* That's boring. Santa Monica is a nice family destination.

South Beach, otoh, is pure sex.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:34 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,756 times
When did this become a "Santa Monica vs. South Beach" thread?

Old 01-25-2012, 02:34 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,956 times
Quote:

Depends on when you go. If you go in the summer, I agree one week might be a bit much unless you like spending the whole day on the beach. It's too hot, humid and quite a bit slower than in the peak season.

But if you go in the spring, then one week is easy. Amazing action pretty much at all times. Can't get bored. I would say 4-5 days would be optimal though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City