Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 04:59 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
That looks just like Ocean Avenue in SM.

Munchitup: I believe that's Collins, in case you wanted to see what it looks like at night.
Says Ocean Drive in the JPG. It doesn't matter though I don't think you are lying about Collins

Old 01-25-2012, 05:01 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Says Ocean Drive in the JPG. It doesn't matter though I don't think you are lying about Collins
Okay, didnt see the tag, I might be wrong then.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:07 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,523 times
Quote:
showing us a PEDESTRIAN BOARDWALK as an example of heavy pedestrian activity? Why don't you show us a shopping mall on Black Friday while you are at it.
The request was to show a SINGLE area of Los Angeles with "75% of the pedestrian activity as Miami Beach".

So now we should just throw out the pedestrian areas?

So what do you want? Hollywood Boulevard? Rodeo Drive? Santa Monica Boulevard?

Make up your mind.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:08 PM

List of U.S. cities with most households without a car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

18. Miami, Florida 26.71%
49. Los Angeles, California 16.53%

Miami is actually doing very well in that regard (for the US).... LA is much larger as it annexed its suburbs so this might have something to do with it - but it might not. Either way gotta say Miami is better in this regard (Side note: LA is above Seattle)

List of U.S. cities with high transit ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

28. Miami, Florida - 12.16%
34. Los Angeles, California - 10.97%

Miami wins by percentage.

There are a lot of variables for these stats but they are what they are.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
The request was to show a SINGLE area of Los Angeles with "75% of the pedestrian activity as Miami Beach".

Make up your mind.
If you really want the next time I walk by the Kodak Theater in the evening I can take a picture. The place is bonkers on a Saturday night. It is almost impossible to get through there.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:12 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post

Make up your mind.
Yes, those would be better. It makes as much sense to boast about pedestrian activity on a boardwalk as it does in an amusement park or shopping mall, is my point.

And btw I don't know about the 75% statement from Bajan. I imagine that downtown LA would have decent foot traffic during business hours. However, I would be curious to see if there is anything on par in Hollywood, BH or Santa Monica (excluding the promenade). From my recollection they were not anywhere near the level of activity in South Beach.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:13 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
According the City Data's own published lists, 17.3% of Miami Beach's residents don't have a car and 10.7% of Miami proper's residents don't have a car. I didn't see Hollywood, WeHo or Santa Monica on the list of the top 101 cities without a car. So much for walking.....
Miami is 35 sq miles with a population smaller than Long Beach. Considerably smaller. Percentages will work in Miami's favor.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Miami is 35 sq miles with a population smaller than Long Beach. Considerably smaller. Percentages will work in Miami's favor in that regard.
Agreed, I posted some stats that favor Miami but I think a comparison on the metro level makes more sense.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:14 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
If you really want the next time I walk by the Kodak Theater in the evening I can take a picture. The place is bonkers on a Saturday night. It is almost impossible to get through there.
Try Lincoln Road in South Beach any night of the of the week. It's wall to wall people.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Yes, those would be better. It makes as much sense to boast about pedestrian activity on a boardwalk as it does in an amusement park or shopping mall, is my point.

And btw I don't know about the 75% statement from Bajan. I imagine that downtown LA would have decent foot traffic during business hours. However, I would be curious to see if there is anything on par in Hollywood, BH or Santa Monica (excluding the promenade). From my recollection they were not anywhere near the level of activity in South Beach.
Yeah Alvarado Street in Westlake certainly has (equal or maybe more) foot traffic it's just uh, not the same

I stand by my belief that Hollywood Blvd to Sunset on a Saturday night (especially in the summer) can most certainly rival South Beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City