Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 02:34 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,717,501 times

Advertisements

#1 - Stuttgart, Germany..................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 02:36 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,698,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Question.

How much money do you guys spend eating out per year? Some of you say you've been to all of these different restaurants all over the country. I feel like I could easily drop $10K a year if I were to dine all over the city multiple times a week.

My fiancee always criticizes me for not being "experimental" enough when it comes to food. Well, it's always easy to "experiment" when you're experimenting with someone else's money. I would eat every cuisine from every city in the world if I had women picking me up in luxury cars and picking up the tab afterwards.

I eat out a lot actually. Divorced so cooking for one doesnt happen often.

I spent a good 15 years traveling to major cities a few days a week. I ate out on expense accounts. Developed a great liking for many types of foods, always sought the new place whatever. Much easier when someone else is paying the bill and still travel quite a bit, not as much gladly but even when home eat out quite a bit.

In the last 10 days have ate dinner at:

Amis in Philly
Han Dynasty in Philly
CS Factory in KOP(my young daughter loves it there)
Pub and Kitchen in Philly
Locanda Verde Manhattan
Cercel Rouge Manhattan
Twenty Manning in Philly

Havent traveled out of the area in a couple of weeks. In Boston next week and SF the week after so will be sure to indulge while there

Old 03-19-2012, 02:37 PM

31,891 posts, read 34,405,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Give it up New Yorkers the crowd has spoken, LA and SF have better Chinese than New York, oh yeah and about the the whole ingredients thing being shipped, there are quite a few ingredients grown in CA and for the ingredients being shipped guess what port most of it comes through?
How do you even know where your food is coming from? Barbados produces some of the best sugar in the world and yet its citizens do not eat any of it. We ship all of our sugar to England, Canada and the States and then import the crappy stuff from Guyana.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:39 PM

11,054 posts, read 16,758,422 times
Quote:
Question.

How much money do you guys spend eating out per year? Some of you say you've been to all of these different restaurants all over the country. I feel like I could easily drop $10K a year if I were to dine all over the city multiple times a week.

My fiancee always criticizes me for not being "experimental" enough when it comes to food. Well, it's always easy to "experiment" when you're experimenting with someone else's money. I would eat every cuisine from every city in the world if I had women picking me up in luxury cars and picking up the tab afterwards.
i just did a quick, unscientific, rough tally. I'd figure about $12k/year.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:40 PM

269 posts, read 413,761 times
It is somewhat true. The best Chinese and Viet ive had was in SF. Not here. Food quality is better out there because a lot is grown locally.

Im sure everyone knows how much better the food quality is in Europe to the States too. Norcal and Italy have similar Med climates. So its no surprise the food quality is tops.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I eat out a lot actually. Divorced so cooking for one doesnt happen often.

I spent a good 15 years traveling to major cities a few days a week. I ate out on expense accounts. Developed a great liking for many types of foods, always sought the new place whatever. Much easier when someone else is paying the bill and still travel quite a bit, not as much gladly but even when home eat out quite a bit.

In the last 10 days have ate dinner at:

Amis in Philly
Han Dynasty in Philly
CS Factory in KOP(my young daughter loves it there)
Pub and Kitchen in Philly
Locanda Verde Manhattan
Cercel Rouge Manhattan
Twenty Manning in Philly

Havent traveled out of the area in a couple of weeks. In Boston next week and SF the week after so will be sure to indulge while there
Let's see:

Sbarro's
Johnny Rockets
Random Jamaican Jerk Chicken Spot in Crown Heights
Wendy's
Papa John's
Whole Foods Hot Bar

Old 03-19-2012, 02:49 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,698,254 times
Quote:
Let's see:

Sbarro's
Johnny Rockets
Wendy's
Papa John's
Whole Foods Hot Bar
Cant figure out why disliked the food choices in DT DC then...

Old 03-19-2012, 02:54 PM

637 posts, read 1,007,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Give it up New Yorkers the crowd has spoken, LA and SF have better Chinese than New York, oh yeah and about the the whole ingredients thing being shipped, there are quite a few ingredients grown in CA and for the ingredients being shipped guess what port most of it comes through?
Flight Distance between Cities, Duration Time - Distance Calculator
New York City-Urumqi, China: 6,521 miles
San Francisco-Urumqi, China: 6,546 miles
Los Angeles-Urumqi, China: 6,845 miles

There are parts of China that are closer to NYC than either West Coast City.

In addition, the Port of Newark handles a lot of shipping, a lot of which is from China. Whether it gets shipped by land or air, it really doesn't matter that much because there would only be a few hour time gap anyways.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Cant figure out why disliked the food choices in DT DC then...
DT DC doesn't even have that much variety.

"Hey, wanna go to Potbelly's?"

"Hey, wanna go to Five Guys?"

"Hey, wanna go to Chipotle?"

"Hey, wanna go to Subway?"

Old 03-19-2012, 03:01 PM

896 posts, read 1,162,430 times
Quote:
Let's see:

Sbarro's
Johnny Rockets
Wendy's
Papa John's
Whole Foods Hot Bar
My turn:
  • Mcdonalds
  • Subway
  • Burger King
  • Wendy's
  • Taco Bell
  • Denny's (had a hot date that night so decided to take her to something a little more upscale)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.