U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Detroit?
Atlanta 104 63.41%
Detroit 60 36.59%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 06:32 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,217,158 times

Advertisements

Detroit is slowly redeveloping, which is exciting. I'm much more enthused about what's happening to recreate and restore Detroit, than any happenings in Atlanta

Old 11-01-2014, 07:10 PM

3,626 posts, read 4,361,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNGAnderson View Post
I choose Atlanta Hands Down, Detroit is a ghetto place, but Detroit is biggest Metro

African-American:

Detroit: 82.7%

Atlanta 54%

I'm Black
Most of Metro Detroit is not ghetto. And if you think Atlanta doesn't have ghetto areas or people as well? lmao hahahaha .

Old 11-01-2014, 08:39 PM

589 posts, read 585,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Most of Metro Detroit is not ghetto. And if you think Atlanta doesn't have ghetto areas or people as well? lmao hahahaha .
but most of Detroit is ghetto. suburbs are very nice. but there are very little areas in Detroit where a hopping urban vibe can be found, if any at all. granted, they probably had the biggest economic decline any american has ever experienced. the bright side though is that the decline is coming to an end, or has ended and now an economic incline is gearing up.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:43 PM

27,834 posts, read 24,888,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Detroit is slowly redeveloping, which is exciting. I'm much more enthused about what's happening to recreate and restore Detroit, than any happenings in Atlanta
Just curious: what happenings in Atlanta are you even aware of?

Old 11-01-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Atlanta is all marketing and no substance, a city surrounded by a state and region that is still fighting the Civil War. No.
Atlanta has plenty of substance, but I agree with you that state politics is rather regressive. The state of Georgia is really Atlanta's biggest hindrance.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:48 AM

3,626 posts, read 4,361,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
but most of Detroit is ghetto. suburbs are very nice. but there are very little areas in Detroit where a hopping urban vibe can be found, if any at all. granted, they probably had the biggest economic decline any american has ever experienced. the bright side though is that the decline is coming to an end, or has ended and now an economic incline is gearing up.
If were going by metro area then I will say it again, most of Detroit is not ghetto. Both cities have many inner city areas, in Detroit it just happens to be mostly in the city, with Atlanta being more spread out there are bad areas in the city and there are quite a few bad suburbs as well. Not to mention the obvious decline that Detroit has suffered.

And what do you mean by "urban vibe"? Even though some neighborhoods in Detroit are very blighted and have little to nothing in them, most Detroit neighborhoods are similar to south and west Chicago (I've spent plenty of time in Chicago). Although the public transportation sucks for a city of it's size, before I had a car there was always places to go within walking distance unlike what the news would lead you to believe.

Your right at the end, the decline has slowed down from the great recession. The yuppie neighborhoods are more popular than I can ever remember now, hopefully this is the start of a true turnaround.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:58 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,437,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Atlanta is all marketing and no substance, a city surrounded by a state and region that is still fighting the Civil War. No.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. People in California are so dumb when it comes to understanding the South and what's really going on down here.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:51 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,217,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Just curious: what happenings in Atlanta are you even aware of?
I'm aware of the Dome's renovation, the Streetcar project, and Marta's expansion....also a few other I'm having trouble remembering at the moment. Why do you ask?

Old 11-02-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I'm aware of the Dome's renovation, the Streetcar project, and Marta's expansion....also a few other I'm having trouble remembering at the moment. Why do you ask?
Because usually people who say what you said aren't really aware of most of the transformative projects recently completed, planned, or underway in Atlanta. Our best example of that is the Beltline, which has been called the best smart growth project in the country. I'm definitely rooting for Detroit, but from what I've seen thus far, what's happening there mainly consists of small- to mid-scale redevelopment projects, some jobs moving from the suburbs to the city, and light rail being built. I don't necessarily see what's as excitable about those things than the developments in Atlanta, except the fact that they are happening in Detroit perhaps?

And as a note of correction, the GA Dome isn't being renovated; a completely new one is being built and the old one will be demolished. Also MARTA isn't expanding at the moment, but there are plans to do so.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:36 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,437,983 times
I will always favor Atlanta but I hate to see what has happened in Detroit. The failure of the Big Three automakers is not just Detroit's but America's loss. It has even affected Atlanta. When the Hapeville, Ford plant shut down I think it was a big blow to the South Side. I know a lot of poor families on that side of town were transformed to middle class families by the plant and many of them went back to being poor after it's closing. The closing of GM Doraville had a similar affect on the Northeast which I think help bring down area's reaching all the way into Gwinnet and the Gwinnett Place Mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City