U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 06:56 PM

116 posts, read 63,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
That's AT LEAST 3 cities. You're over the limit, bruh.
Learn how to count bruh.... that is 5 cities over the limit

Besides, why do you care, its a free country.... kind of
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 06:56 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,027,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandnewb View Post
Learn how to count bruh.... that is 5 cities over the limit

Besides, why do you care, its a free country.... kind of
No, that wasn't-

You know what? I ain't even care.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:58 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,711,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
That's AT LEAST 3 cities. You're over the limit, bruh.
Good.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:59 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,589,926 times
Nobody put Detroit, Oakland, Baltimore, St. Louis in their city top 10 lol or Camden NJ

Old 08-05-2015, 07:03 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,504,666 times
Oakland was in my honorable mentions and possibly could of been in my top 10 but replaced by one of my more recent trips, for now.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
1) Los Angeles
2) Tucson
3) San Francisco
4) Houston
5) Portland
6) Cleveland
7) Baltimore
8) San Diego
9) Philadelphia
10) Austin

Honorable mention... Rochester NY, Cincinnati, Albuquerque, Detroit, Columbus
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Nobody put Detroit, Oakland, Baltimore, St. Louis in their city top 10 lol or Camden NJ

I put Baltimore in my top 10 and Detroit in my honorable mention

I have probably traveled far more than most people on this thread though....

Old 08-05-2015, 07:10 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,589,926 times
Quote:
I put Baltimore in my top 10 and Detroit in my honorable mention

I have probably traveled far more than most people on this thread though....
Cincinnati and Detroit get no love nationally, I have met people that hate Rust Belt Cities for no reason especially Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Detroit.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Cincinnati and Detroit get no love nationally, I have met people that hate Rust Belt Cities for no reason especially Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Detroit.
I know what you are saying, alot of people are closeminded to the world outside their bubbles

I personally don't care what the national perspective of a city is. I find great pleasure in exploring cities without any preconceived notions and coming to my own conclusions about if I like it

Old 08-06-2015, 08:26 AM

453 posts, read 259,424 times
Oakland and Bmore were in my top 10.

Surprised that Richmond came up a few times...

Old 08-07-2015, 01:53 AM

135 posts, read 118,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
1. New York City-- In the purest sense of a city, this is it. If a city is all you desire, it will not disappoint. It's an amazing place. I confess, after a lot of introspection and a near-relocation, that I like the idea of living there more than than the reality of living there. Still, it's too big and too rich in its culture not to be #1.

2. San Francisco--it's the thinking man's city; the romantic's haven. It's not as huge or in-your-face as some, nor as quaint and charming as others. Instead, it is pleasantly its own thing. It's still famously Left and wacky, yet smart and business-centric. It's still soft and sentimental, yet militant and opinionated. It still dreams up the ideas and trends that guide the country, yet culturally segregates itself in a past that has long since moved on. It's contemporary, yet hopelessly out of date, beautiful, yet grimy. Outsiders just don't get it--especially those who try to quantify it from afar. That's part of the appeal. In all its extreme contradictions, it's the most livable and surprisingly enjoyable place in America for those who do get it.

3. Los Angeles--the California vibe, the California dream...they still preach it and millions still believe it. LA has presence. I may not always love the lifestyle, but I know where I am when I'm there. People who try to say it's a 3X Houston, haven't spent enough time in LA. It's got an attitude, an aura, and a style all its own.

4. Chicago--an oasis in a desert of sameness. An island of interesting urban fabric in a sea of bland that stretches the width of the country. Chicago is what Houston or Dallas would be if they knew who they were. It is amazingly comfortable in its own skin--the "little black dress" of cities--dress it up or down, it's always good. Its curse is sh!tty weather. Its virtue is its pure urban environment.

5. Boston--Talk about "sense of place". Boston has that in spades. It's insufferably provincial, too smart for its own good, Leftist, yet secretly more racist than it's comfortable with you knowing, smaller than it seems, richer than it has a right to be and unashamedly a lugheads' sports town. Who couldn't love a town like that?

6. San Diego--it's LA without most of the hassles and more middle-American ideals. The trade off is that it's not as interesting. Good weather and laid-back attitudes go a long way, though. Plus, their ballpark is a home-away-from-home for Giants fans.

7. Denver--I like the city's mix of urban and natural environments. I like that it knows who it is. Denver is comfortably ensconced away from outside influences, just the way it wants to be. There's a lingering sense of the aloof Wild West still there. It still blows Dean Moriarty's mind. It's a beer drinking town that's perpetually under dressed for the parties it keeps getting invited to join.

8. St. Louis--I like cities with rich stories. I feel like St. Louis has more than a few. It's dirty and poor in the heart, and too self-consciously clean around the edge. It seems to relish living under the radar. It's got a Midwest vibe... for better or worse.

9. Seattle--Smart, pretty, keeps to herself. Who dares question Seattle's appeal? I dig it all, except for the weather. I especially love its sense of identity. It is happily isolated and rich in a culture that is its own. Cool place.

10. Houston--I'd consider living there only because I know it so well. It's an old pair of Levi's that still fit. It's not particularly interesting for people who prefer urban living, yet it is a good place to have a good time. It eats pretty well. It has nice people. But overall, it felt like a big suburb to me, even when I lived in the shadows of Downtown. Hey, some people like the suburbs. There's something to be said for plots of grass. Though its hard for an outsider to make a distinction between Houston and Dallas, I'm no outsider, and somehow Houston's parts add up to more than Dallas' whole.

Boston gets a mention, but not Philadelphia?

Philadelphia is just as provincial, arguably more passionate about sports, has better food and nightlife, and has to get the edge in history due to it being the birthplace of the country and number of inventions and firsts that occurred there.

This is what I don't get from the press Boston gets. Maybe because its sports teams get positive press from winning, Harvard and its a clean city?

Boston is cleaner (although 1/3 the size of Philly and Philly integrated socioeconomically whereas Boston hasn't) and has a better economy. Shopping is probably the same. It has worse weather.

This is what im talking about in reference to the overrated/underrated thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or