Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 07:37 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times

Advertisements

1. New orleans

2. Houston

3. Atlanta

4. Baltimore

5. Dc

6. Savannah

7. New york

8. Seattle

9. Miami

10. Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 08:00 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,231,406 times
I'm biased, but...

1.) Philadelphia
2.) New York City
3.) Seattle
4.) Washington, D.C.
5.) Chicago (want to see it)
6.) Boston (want to see it)
7.) San Francisco (want to see it)
8.) Atlanta
9.) Baltimore
10.) Los Angeles (want to see it)

Honorable mention:
Savannah, GA (want to see it)
Charleston, SC (want to see it)
Cleveland, OH
Cincinnati, OH
Columbus, OH
Birmingham, AL
Miami, FL (want to see it)

Old 08-08-2015, 08:15 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,231,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
This is a tired stereotype. Boston has done a fantastic job at preserving its old money culture in the city limits, which is of course what most tourists are exposed to, but Philadelphia has an arguably just as strong "old money" history--just that much of it died out or retreated to the suburbs.

Even so, both cities have generally very strong blue collar histories.
This is true. The old money left Philly and went out to the Main Line, or the suburbs that follow Amtrak's Keystone Corridor in Montgomery, Delaware and Chester Counties. This money is coming back to Center City, however. Currently, there is a ton of demand for luxury condos. Older, retired people want to ditch their large suburban homes for the feel of city life.

A Philadelphia/Boston debate is almost pointless because these two cities are similar in so many ways. Additionally, where one city lacks, the other one shines. While Boston may be cleaner (the only category I can think of since I've never been to Boston), Philly is larger, has a top 5 downtown experience compared to other US cities, has taller buildings and a better skyline, there is more development going on, and has some of the best nightlife anywhere. Boston is in a slightly higher world-city echelon (Alpha -) while Philly is a Beta + (I expect Philly to climb to Alpha - when the list is updated). Both cities are home to some of the best hospitals in the world, history that can't be matched by any other city, and some of the best universities in the world. In fact, the Boston and Philly MSA (I'll use MSA since Harvard is in Cambridge and Penn is within the Philadelphia city limits) each have a reputable, urban Ivy League institution that is well-connected to transit. Finally, it is also possible to live without a car in each city. I know that different people will have their preferences, but the actual differences between Boston and Philly are almost minuscule because of how similar they are to one another.

I've never been to Boston, but I have a lot of respect for that city. I want to come and visit at some point. Philly and Boston are both solid 2nd tier cities, which include Chicago, DC, and San Francisco. New York and LA are the only cities a tier above.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:24 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
In order of personal preference:

1. NYC
2. SF
3. Boston
4. DC
5. Miami
6. NOLA
7. Philly
8. LA
9. Seattle
10. Chicago

Old 08-08-2015, 10:05 AM

135 posts, read 175,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
This is true. The old money left Philly and went out to the Main Line, or the suburbs that follow Amtrak's Keystone Corridor in Montgomery, Delaware and Chester Counties. This money is coming back to Center City, however. Currently, there is a ton of demand for luxury condos. Older, retired people want to ditch their large suburban homes for the feel of city life.

A Philadelphia/Boston debate is almost pointless because these two cities are similar in so many ways. Additionally, where one city lacks, the other one shines. While Boston may be cleaner (the only category I can think of since I've never been to Boston), Philly is larger, has a top 5 downtown experience compared to other US cities, has taller buildings and a better skyline, there is more development going on, and has some of the best nightlife anywhere. Boston is in a slightly higher world-city echelon (Alpha -) while Philly is a Beta + (I expect Philly to climb to Alpha - when the list is updated). Both cities are home to some of the best hospitals in the world, history that can't be matched by any other city, and some of the best universities in the world. In fact, the Boston and Philly MSA (I'll use MSA since Harvard is in Cambridge and Penn is within the Philadelphia city limits) each have a reputable, urban Ivy League institution that is well-connected to transit. Finally, it is also possible to live without a car in each city. I know that different people will have their preferences, but the actual differences between Boston and Philly are almost minuscule because of how similar they are to one another.

I've never been to Boston, but I have a lot of respect for that city. I want to come and visit at some point. Philly and Boston are both solid 2nd tier cities, which include Chicago, DC, and San Francisco. New York and LA are the only cities a tier above.

This is probably the best post about Boston and Philadelphia I have seen on here.

Don't forget that both cities are extremely passionate about sports. Philadelphia has enjoyed less success but their passion is unquestioned.

If Philadelphia were to experience Boston-type success (13 titles in 15 years), that metro would explode.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:07 AM

135 posts, read 175,203 times
Ive always thought Boston and Philadelphia were 2nd tier and neck and neck cities until I came on here and suddenly you got people on here saying Boston is better.

Everything is opinion, not fact. Some prefer Philadelphia, some prefer Boston. More people live in the Philadelphia area so I guess maybe more people like it there over Boston.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:22 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
In order of personal preference:

1. NYC
2. SF
3. Boston
4. DC
5. Miami
6. NOLA
7. Philly
8. LA
9. Seattle
10. Chicago
Good list. How would you revise it if the question was "your top 10 cities in US and Canada"?

Old 08-08-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingeverywhere View Post
Ive always thought Boston and Philadelphia were 2nd tier and neck and neck cities until I came on here and suddenly you got people on here saying Boston is better.

Everything is opinion, not fact. Some prefer Philadelphia, some prefer Boston. More people live in the Philadelphia area so I guess maybe more people like it there over Boston.
In the real world it is not like that at all. Folks in Boston dig Philly quite a bit and vice versa. Each city is a quick trip away from each other and you see alot of people visiting each city. Add to that the strong business ties with the connections between the Pharma Industry in Philly and Boston being a medical research centre and you have quite a few people on both sides that spend a considerable amount of time in both.

Only an idiot would allow a message board like this to shape their views of either cities residents.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Good list. How would you revise it if the question was "your top 10 cities in US and Canada"?
Hmm, good question:

1. NYC
2. SF
3. Montreal
4. Boston
5. DC
6. Miami
7. NOLA
8. Toronto
9. Philly
10. LA

Really tough for me to see Seattle and Chicago bounced from the list, both are such great cities. Makes you realize we have quite a few heavy hitters in this part of the world, despite popular opinion otherwise.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:30 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Hmm, good question:

1. NYC
2. SF
3. Montreal
4. Boston
5. DC
6. Miami
7. NOLA
8. Toronto
9. Philly
10. LA
So Toronto and Montreal in, Seattle and Chicago out. Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City