Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favoriute state in the Four Corners region
Arizona 62 23.75%
Colorado 114 43.68%
Utah 31 11.88%
New Mexico 54 20.69%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 04:06 PM

555 posts, read 861,425 times

Advertisements

I like Denver, but to say the entire state of New Mexico has nothing to compare is just plain stupid. What is Colorado's answer to Carlsbad Caverns National Park? El Morro? El Malpais? Tent Rocks? Sante Fe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 04:07 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,248 times
"Wow! You sure are excited! Aren't you! Oh my god!

Denver's nice enough as a city, but let's not get carried away here. There's tons of Midwest-looking suburbia just outside of Downtown Denver."

Best you got? Can you refute anything I posted?

Old 11-05-2014, 11:39 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
I agree that New Mexico has a lot of natural, beauty, scenery, and recreational opportunities. All four of these states are my favorite and share a lot in common.

However, I will say that when I think of New Mexico and what I want to see and experience there, I tend to think of the cultural heritage and history as being the highest on the list of what I want to see. Yes there are the Sangre de Cristos, Tent Rock, the White Sands, Carlsbad, etc. that could blow anyone away.

But when I go to New Mexico, the things on my mind are the historic sights in the upper Rio Grande, the green and red chiles and other cuisine, the art museums and historic buildings of Santa Fe and Alburquerque, and other aspects of Spanish colonial charm and history.

Contrast that with Arizona, I go to Arizona primarily to experience the NATURAL wonders. The Grand Canyon, the hiking trails around Sedona, forests around Flagstaff, other areas near the Grand Canyon like Vermillion Cliffs, Havasu Falls. The Sonora desert with the one of a kind Saguaro cactus right outside Tuscon, etc. Arizona is a more urban-suburban, transplant kind of state, with less cultural heritage (minus the Native American heritage).

An interesting analogy would be say comparing Louisiana and Florida.

Florida cities are all largely modern buildings, retirement/resort focuses, little cultural heritage and history. When I went to Florida I am going for the NATURE. Everglades, the Keys, other wildlife refuges, national forests with some of the best bird watching, highest biodiversity, etc.

Conversely, sure Louisiana has endless wetlands, bayous, pine forests, etc. that has wildlife, fishing, airboat opportunities, etc. but I am going to Louisiana to experience the culture and history of New Orleans, Creole culture, music heritage, rural Cajun culture, etc.

The analogy would if comparing Arizona and New Mexico respectively would be comparing Florida to Loiusiana respectively.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:59 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
"Wow! You sure are excited! Aren't you! Oh my god!

Denver's nice enough as a city, but let's not get carried away here. There's tons of Midwest-looking suburbia just outside of Downtown Denver."

Best you got? Can you refute anything I posted?
It can all be refuted, because its just your opinion. There is a little truth to your post (ie CO has more ski resorts), but most of it is bizarre opinions.

Oh, and there's no need to use a exclamation point after each sentence, unless you're really that over-excited.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:38 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,248 times
Little truth eh? It is quite easy to show which states have the highest crime rates, lowest graduation rates, and number of resorts. Quite easy indeed! As far as scenery, yes, that is an opinion. But I am sure that if you put up a poll over which was more beautiful, Telluride/Ouray area, or ANY area in nm, the Colorado cities would win!

Old 08-19-2015, 07:10 PM

99 posts, read 126,765 times
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I just had to go for this!

Mountains: Colorado, I guess.
Scenery: Definitely Utah. It has a mix of the desert and the red rock formations down south, yet it also has amazing, snow-capped mountains.
National Parks: Again, Utah. Heck, this wasn't even close! Arches, Bryce Canyon, Zion.
Urban areas: Colorado, because Denver is the only city in the Four Corners States that truly feels urban, imo.
Historical areas: Obviously New Mexico. A mix of Hispanic, American-Wild-West-Cowboyishness, and Native American culture.
College towns: Colorado, because Boulder.
Winter recreations/Skiing: A tie between Utah and Colorado. Utah had the Olympics, Colorado seems to have more of a "ski culture".
Culture: Tough one. A tie between Utah (Mormons) and New Mexico (Hispanic).

Overall, I went for Utah. I'm sad to see that so few people agree.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:24 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
Mountains- Colorado hands down
Scenery- Tie between Arizona and Colorado
National Parks- Arizona because of Grand Canyon
Urban Areas- Arizona because of phoenix. 5th largest city in the USA, the phoenix metro has more people than Utah, denver, and New Mexico combined and it has the most job opportunity and brightest future.
Historical Areas- New Mexico
Skiing- Colorado HANDS DOWN
Culture- New Mexico

In my opinion overall it goes:
1. Arizona
2. Colorado
3. New mexico
99. Utah

Old 08-19-2015, 09:19 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Mountains- Colorado hands down
Scenery- Tie between Arizona and Colorado
National Parks- Arizona because of Grand Canyon
Urban Areas- Arizona because of phoenix. 5th largest city in the USA, the phoenix metro has more people than Utah, denver, and New Mexico combined and it has the most job opportunity and brightest future.
Historical Areas- New Mexico
Skiing- Colorado HANDS DOWN
Culture- New Mexico

In my opinion overall it goes:
1. Arizona
2. Colorado
3. New mexico
99. Utah
Phoenix doesn't have more people than those places combined

Old 08-20-2015, 09:44 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Phoenix doesn't have more people than those places combined
I said phoenix metro:
Phoenix Metro has - 4,192,999 people
Utah- 2.9 million
New Mexico- 2.0 million
Denver-600,000
Denver metro- 2.6 million
You are correct actually, I misspoke. But It does have more people then each place has individually or if you combined Denver and Utah or Denver and NM

Old 08-20-2015, 10:59 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
I live in AZ, but NM gets my vote. I just love the state immensely, and hope to retire there one day if all goes well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City