Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favoriute state in the Four Corners region
Arizona 62 23.75%
Colorado 114 43.68%
Utah 31 11.88%
New Mexico 54 20.69%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:32 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
True, but by no means is anywhere in Metro Denver "not commutable".
I apologize then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 09:03 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,248 times
No need to!

Old 11-01-2014, 07:36 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,604,423 times
New Mexico

Mountains: just as nice as any in the other 3 states, ranging from rugged treeless desert ones in the south to beautiful forested 13,000 footers in the north.

Skiing and winter recreation: Colorado and Utah are famous for it but NM has equally good skiing at Taos Ski Valley, very challenging runs, near perfect conditions, tons of powder snow and sunshine.

Diversity: deserts, plateaus, red rock country, high plains.

Culture and history: MN is unmatched. Pueblo, Apache, Navajo, Zuni.
Beautiful old churches like at Chimayo.

Colleges: I really like NMSU in Las Cruces (My fave city in SW) and UNM in Albuquerque is good too.

I like all 4 states, they're in my top 10 but New Mexico speaks to me the most,
it's the Land of Enchantment.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:11 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
New Mexico

Mountains: just as nice as any in the other 3 states, ranging from rugged treeless desert ones in the south to beautiful forested 13,000 footers in the north.

Skiing and winter recreation: Colorado and Utah are famous for it but NM has equally good skiing at Taos Ski Valley, very challenging runs, near perfect conditions, tons of powder snow and sunshine.

Diversity: deserts, plateaus, red rock country, high plains.

Culture and history: MN is unmatched. Pueblo, Apache, Navajo, Zuni.
Beautiful old churches like at Chimayo.

Colleges: I really like NMSU in Las Cruces (My fave city in SW) and UNM in Albuquerque is good too.

I like all 4 states, they're in my top 10 but New Mexico speaks to me the most,
it's the Land of Enchantment.
New Mexico is completely awesome. Way underappreciated.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:21 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
I think New Mexico likes being under the radar. Time definitely moves a little slower here and its relative isolation is essential to how its retained a lot of its originality, character, and history. It's a perfect place for those who need an escape from the ratrace for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
Well since New Mexico borders Colorado, its northern parts naturally have good Rocky Mountain scenery and peaks. But I don't think New Mexico's Sangre de Cristos compare well to Colorado's San Juan range with its collection of 14'ers. Colorado kicks it up a big notch in the intensity of its mountains and also has better assortment of cool mountain towns (Durango/Silverton/Ouray/Telluride and many more) to visit.

I do however really like the Organ Mountains in Southern NM down by Las Cruces. They are strikingly sharp peaks of granite rising above a beautiful desert valley. Nearby White Sands is an added bonus. There is no place quite like White Sands at sunrise, it's an other worldly experience.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-01-2014 at 08:43 PM..

Old 11-03-2014, 03:34 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Absolutely. If I could move there I would. Ive always been enchanted by NM.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:45 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,248 times
New Mexico scenery pales compared to the other 3 states! Nothing in nm compares to the Telluride/Ouray area, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Royal Gorge and Rocky Mountain National Park. It has a high high crime rate and I think the lowest HS graduation rate in the country! Albuquerque reminds me more of Colorado Springs than a real city! I am truly not a fan of our little brother to the south! Just my opinion of course! Colorado has the best Mountains bar none! The most, the tallest, the best variety, the most famous! Denver is the most urban city out of all these 4 states! And CU and CSU are the best college cities, and this also gets backed up in almost any ranking of best college cities! In fact it did show just that in a poll that was out a few weeks ago! As far as culture, no idea! Colorado has Mesa Verde. One of the best examples in the US! Colorado also has more ski resorts probably than the other 3 combined! More famous resorts! And draws far more skiers! Am I biased? Yes! But most polls back me up as well!

Old 11-03-2014, 08:50 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Quote:
New Mexico scenery pales compared to the other 3 states! Nothing in nm compares to the Telluride/Ouray area, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Royal Gorge and Rocky Mountain National Park. It has a high high crime rate and I think the lowest HS graduation rate in the country! Albuquerque reminds me more of Colorado Springs than a real city! I am truly not a fan of our little brother to the south! Just my opinion of course! Colorado has the best Mountains bar none! The most, the tallest, the best variety, the most famous! Denver is the most urban city out of all these 4 states! And CU and CSU are the best college cities, and this also gets backed up in almost any ranking of best college cities! In fact it did show just that in a poll that was out a few weeks ago! As far as culture, no idea! Colorado has Mesa Verde. One of the best examples in the US! Colorado also has more ski resorts probably than the other 3 combined! More famous resorts! And draws far more skiers! Am I biased? Yes! But most polls back me up as well!
Nothing wrong with being a homer and Colorado's a hell of a state. All 4 are different flavors and taste's subjective. One thing about New Mexican scenery that can't be matched is the quantity and quality of all the pueblos (pueblos that are still occupied) and old Spanish churches. The Latino and Native vibe is the most unique and palpable, and the Colorado Plateau landscape there is pretty impressive. Shiprock, El Morro, etc. are pretty beautiful. Chaco Canyon can go toe to toe with Mesa Verde anytime.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:03 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,801,634 times
I think the coolest and most unique place in New Mexico is White Sands. It's like no other place on the continent, just pure white dunes, and cool little white lizards roaming the dunes with desert mountain peaks in the distance. Being there lifts your spirits up and its just so different from anyplace I've ever experienced. Even on the road into the park, you drive in on hard pack white sand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqzzWvftxOU

Old 11-04-2014, 03:05 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,625,477 times
Quote:
Wow! You sure are excited! Aren't you! Oh my god!

Denver's nice enough as a city, but let's not get carried away here. There's tons of Midwest-looking suburbia just outside of Downtown Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City