Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 09:02 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, actually it was in response to an attempt at a stuffy post attempting to claim that Philadelphia was the font of learning for the modern world.

First of all, if anywhere deserves that distinction, its Boston, not Philadelphia, and second of all, for all the supposed historical largesse of Philadelphia area schools, no US President ever earned a basic Bachelor Degree there.

And yet, one future US President managed to find his way out to this beastly wilderness to a place recently inhabited by Mammoth Shoshone Indians and still managed to earn a degree from Stanford.

That is indeed a very nice feather in any school's cap.
Well good on you if it makes you proud.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:18 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
I said that upenn was the first university in america as well as basically the first place in the world were people who were not born into elite society and who did not want to enter the priesthood could receive a higher education. And no matter how many poor presidents attend stanford this does not stop these facts from being true.
And yet a US President did indeed earn a degree from Stanford while none has ever earned a degree from Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania is a fine school, but apart from Wharton(which ironically for this discussion has a SF campus-LOL) its rarely mentioned in the same breath as Harvard, Princeton and Yale, or Stanford for that matter.

I think this is yet another affect of Penn being in the Northeast. It sort of becomes lost in the shuffle.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:33 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And yet a US President did indeed earn a degree from Stanford while none has ever earned a degree from Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania is a fine school, but apart from Wharton(which ironically for this discussion has a SF campus-LOL) its rarely mentioned in the same breath as Harvard, Princeton and Yale, or Stanford for that matter.

I think this is yet another affect of Penn being in the Northeast. It sort of becomes lost in the shuffle.
Actually, the 9th president of the US William Henry Harrison alma mater is Penn university. You should actually do some research before spitting out false information.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Actually, the 9th president of the US William Henry Harrison alma mater is Penn university. You should actually do some research before spitting out false information.
Actually I only counted graduates.

William Henry Harrison attended Penn's medical school but then withdrew.
List of Presidents of the United States by education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want to count that, then I will count JFK who attended Stanford's business school but then withdrew.

Anything else?

Old 06-25-2011, 09:44 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,830 times
Quote:
haha well done. Someone seems to have some egg on their face. And while spending only a month in office before dying, he may not exactly be considered a good president. He still would be viewed by most as a better pres than hoover who is often named among the worst presidents of all time.

honestly though I don't understand why having a future president attend your college would seem more important than the fact that upenn was basically the first modern institution of higher learning. You keep skirting the subject but you must admit this is impressive. It alone doesn't make penn a better school but it certainly adds to the prestiege of the institution.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:46 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Another little fun fact about UPenn was that it invented the world's first computer. Wonder how The Bay Area would be doing without that. Lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENIAC

Old 06-25-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
haha well done. Someone seems to have some egg on their face.
Yes, and its not me.

LOL.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Another little fun fact about UPenn was that it invented the world's first computer. Wonder how The Bay Area would be doing without that. Lol.

ENIAC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
As in education and everything else you'll all ever done, it was perfected and made accessible to all out west.

Your welcome.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:05 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
Quote:
haha well done. Someone seems to have some egg on their face. And while spending only a month in office before dying, he may not exactly be considered a good president. He still would be viewed by most as a better pres than hoover who is often named among the worst presidents of all time.

honestly though I don't understand why having a future president attend your college would seem more important than the fact that upenn was basically the first modern institution of higher learning. You keep skirting the subject but you must admit this is impressive. It alone doesn't make penn a better school but it certainly adds to the prestiege of the institution.
I 100% agree. If I could rep you, I would. On topic, I give Philadelphia the edge over the San Francisco for higher education because of 2 ivy league AND plenty of good D-1 and liberal arts colleges (Drexel, Villanova, Saint joes, temple, swarthmore etc).

Last edited by nephi215; 06-25-2011 at 10:29 AM..

Old 06-25-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I 100% agree. If I could rep you, I would.
Im not surprised that you dont want to address my reply. I would feel embarrassed too.

But here is my reply again so there is no confusion or room for pretense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair
Actually I only counted graduates.

William Henry Harrison attended Penn's medical school but then withdrew.
List of Presidents of the United States by education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want to count that, then I will count JFK who attended Stanford's business school but then withdrew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City