Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2011, 07:54 AM

287 posts, read 546,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Wouldn't Wharton establishing a school in San Francisco only boost Philadelphia's credibility. If Wharton is so good (it is) that they have demand to open a cross country campus near the tech industry, it obviously says a lot about the actual campus.
I think it adds to the Bay's credibility. To have three top 10 Business Schools within the SF Bay Area; How would that not add to the Bay Area's credibility?

Top Business Schools
1 Stanford
2 Harvard
3-tied MIT(Sloan)
3-tied Pennsylvania(Wharton)
5-tied Northwestern(Kellogg)
5-tied U. Chicago(Booth)
7-tied Dartmouth(Tuck)
7-tied UC Berkeley(Haas)
9 Columbia
10-tied NYU(Stern)

Old 06-26-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't Wharton establishing a school in San Francisco only boost Philadelphia's credibility. If Wharton is so good (it is) that they have demand to open a cross country campus near the tech industry, it obviously says a lot about the actual campus. But you guys want to claim it as your own? I do not see the logic there, many elite schools have satellite schools. Stanford is likely opening an engineering school in New York City soon, should NYC then lay claim to Stanford? No, of course not, it would only boost the merits of the Stanford brand name. I don't care about who is best, I just wanted to point out this error in posters logic.
It only demonstrates the importance and significance of higher education and its implications in the SF Bay Area. I don't know how that can be considered an "error" in my logic.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:04 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballakev View Post
I think it adds to the Bay's credibility. To have three top 10 Business Schools within the SF Bay Area; How would that not add to the Bay Area's credibility?

Top Business Schools
1 Stanford
2 Harvard
3-tied MIT(Sloan)
3-tied Pennsylvania(Wharton)
5-tied Northwestern(Kellogg)
5-tied U. Chicago(Booth)
7-tied Dartmouth(Tuck)
7-tied UC Berkeley(Haas)
9 Columbia
10-tied NYU(Stern)
Wow, seriously? You actually think that? I am completely baffled how you take that logical jump to say it boosts the Bay Area. I just explained how in my post, but OK. Johns Hopkins has a medical school in UAE, does that mean Abu Dhabi gets credit for that? Northwestern has a branch of Kellogg in Miami and Hong Kong, do they get claim to this as well? You know, you have another branch out in the Bay Area, I will tell you, it is Carnegie Mellon. You might as well and go ahead and grab another Pennsylvania school while you are at it.

Quote:
It only demonstrates the importance and significance of higher education and its implications in the SF Bay Area. I don't know how that can be considered an "error" in my logic.
It represents both error and delusion actually. In fact, you know not knowing how, is completely irrelevant, which explains why you might commit such an error in the first place. It's still wrong.

Last edited by grapico; 06-26-2011 at 08:12 AM..

Old 06-26-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Wow, seriously? You actually think that? I am completely baffled how you take that logical jump to say it boosts the Bay Area. I just explained how in my post, but OK. Johns Hopkins has a medical school in UAE, does that mean Abu Dhabi gets credit for that? Northwestern has a branch of Kellogg in Miami and Hong Kong, do they get claim to this as well? You know, you have another branch out in the Bay Area, I will tell you, it is Carnegie Mellon. You might as well and go ahead and grab another Pennsylvania school while you are at it.

It represents both error and delusion actually.
My point is to show the significance and importance of the SF Bay Area in terms of higher education compared to the Philadelphia CSA. I'm done posting on this thread as this has already been argued ad nauseam.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:15 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
My point is to show the significance and importance of the SF Bay Area in terms of higher education compared to the Philadelphia CSA. I'm done posting on this thread as this has already been argued ad infinitum.
Yet you use a Philadelphia school to do it! If you lay claim that a Wharton satellite boosts the Bay, then by default that means the actual campus should be valued even more so, as there was demand there to open up the branch in the first place, because the name of Wharton is that strong, therefore boosting Philadelphia higher than you would like it to. I am not arguing which is best, I already posted my conclusions in the thread. But you can't use the same school to boost yours, adding more weight on to it, from the same city who hosts the school you are going up against. If you can't see the error in that line of thinking, I am not sure what to tell you. But you are done posting, that is fine, if you want to post again, I don't think your statement binds you, so feel free to post again.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:20 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Just FYI, Wharton also has a location in San Francisco.

Wharton San Francisco | University of Pennsylvania

So does University of Pheonix, are you suggesting that somehow Wharton has the same affiliation with SF as Philly, honestly? The expansion part to Wharton Library in Philly in larger than the whole campus in SF. Google has an office in Philly does that make them a Philly company?

Old 06-26-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Yet you use a Philadelphia school to do it! If you lay claim that a Wharton satellite boosts the Bay, then by default that means the actual campus should be valued even more so, as there was demand there to open up the branch in the first place, because the name of Wharton is that strong, therefore boosting Philadelphia higher than you would like it to. I am not arguing which is best, I already posted my conclusions in the thread. But you can't use the same school to boost yours, adding more weight on to it, from the same city who hosts the school you are going up against. If you can't see the error in that line of thinking, I am not sure what to tell you. But you are done posting, that is fine, if you want to post again, I don't think your statement binds you, so feel free to post again.
How the hell is that boosting Philadelphia!? This is from the Wharton San Francisco FAQ;

Q: Why did Wharton choose to invest in a program on the West Coast vs. Europe, Asia, or some other part of the world?
A: Establishing a strong presence in what is the center of new technology-based businesses, as well as new technology-based business initiatives in established companies, is part of Wharton's overall global strategy. This is an opportunity to have an immediate impact on the quality of all of Wharton's programs and service to the worldwide business community. Wharton has also established a strategic Alliance with INSEAD, a leading management education institution with campuses in France and Singapore. This alliance opens new opportunities for the co-development and delivery of management education in Europe and Asia.

Tell me how the hell does establishing a campus (NOT a satellite campus) in San Francisco benefit the city of Philadelphia? I'm not claiming the entire UPenn Wharton school for SF, but SF should get some credit since UPenn Wharton chose establish another campus in SF.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
How the hell is that boosting Philadelphia!? This is from the Wharton San Francisco FAQ;

Q: Why did Wharton choose to invest in a program on the West Coast vs. Europe, Asia, or some other part of the world?
A: Establishing a strong presence in what is the center of new technology-based businesses, as well as new technology-based business initiatives in established companies, is part of Wharton's overall global strategy. This is an opportunity to have an immediate impact on the quality of all of Wharton's programs and service to the worldwide business community. Wharton has also established a strategic Alliance with INSEAD, a leading management education institution with campuses in France and Singapore. This alliance opens new opportunities for the co-development and delivery of management education in Europe and Asia.

Tell me how the hell does establishing a campus (NOT a satellite campus) in San Francisco benefit the city of Philadelphia? I'm not claiming the entire UPenn Wharton school for SF, but SF should get some credit since UPenn Wharton chose establish another campus in SF.

Yes they are very similar

Wharton Philly

Wharton SF
Actually i cant find a picture of the building (yes that is singular)

But here is the welcome video for Wharton - seems like a lot of SF exposure in this one, surprised that the Wharton promo doesnt say welcome to our city in reference to SF

YouTube - ‪Welcome to Philadelphia‬‏

Old 06-26-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes they are very similar

Wharton Philly

Wharton SF
Actually i cant find a picture of the building (yes that is singular)

But here is the welcome video for Wharton - seems like a lot of SF exposure in this one, surprised that the Wharton promo doesnt say welcome to our city in reference to SF

YouTube - ‪Welcome to Philadelphia‬‏

YouTube - ‪Wharton Global Forum SanFran‬‏

In honor of the 10th anniversary of Wharton-San Francisco

Old 06-26-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:

YouTube - ‪Wharton Global Forum SanFran‬‏

In honor of the 10th anniversary of Wharton-San Francisco

Yes good to see a global forum back in the states, the last three were in Seoul, Beijing, and Dubai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City