Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 10:48 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostedMiniWheats View Post
Boston's reputation for rich upper class whites and academics makes it such a boring city. Very square.

OVERRATED
Hate us cause you can't afford it here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 10:49 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perverse Instantiation View Post
The problem with Boston is that it's too gentrified and let that be a lesson to other cities that when you become too gentrified, your nightlife and excitement factor will suffer.

Boston is what Philly for example will be in 25 years with unfettered gentrification. Lack of any real edge. Everyone is the same. No real diversity in attitude, character, or personality. Middle class/Upper class white culture is so boring, uptight and lacks any edge and that's what most of Boston is.

That's why everyone says it's an overrated city. Even though NYC may be gentrifying at rapid rates, the sheer amount of immigrants it gets will always make it an exciting, unpredictable city.

Boston is predictable.
White = boring is such a boring observation that people on these forums make. Immigrants are not always exciting. White people are fully capable of being interesting and fun, or stupid and destructive, just as much as any immigrant or minority is.

The homogenous attitude and ideology (progressivism) is what gets me in Boston. It's shared by a vast majority of people across all races, ethnicities, economic levels.

But also, no. Even if I buy your perspective, the laws and prices and regulations still apply to the lower class minority communities within Boston as well. Happy hours are illegal for everyone, not just white upper middle class bars.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:59 AM

62 posts, read 62,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
White = boring is such a boring observation that people on these forums make. Immigrants are not always exciting. White people are fully capable of being interesting and fun, or stupid and destructive, just as much as any immigrant or minority is.

The homogenous attitude and ideology (progressivism) is what gets me in Boston. It's shared by a vast majority of people across all races, ethnicities, economic levels.

But also, no. Even if I buy your perspective, the laws and prices and regulations still apply to the lower class minority communities within Boston as well. Happy hours are illegal for everyone, not just white upper middle class bars.
Thing is I never said white = boring because if I did, I would have called Seattle boring which is about 70 white? Seattle is way more exciting of a city than Boston and is more unpredictable....maybe because of the magical West Coast "live and let live" Vibe that cities along the west coast have that east coast cities generally don't.

The happy hour laws that Boston have though is an example of what I'm talking about. The culture of the city is too uptight and doesn't allow you to LIVE.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:07 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,285,733 times
The nightlife topic really cracks me up. Seriously we are speaking about the US here which easily has one of the worst nightlife scenes anywhere on the planet. The overregulation make it a good place to live but hardly the best place to let loose and party. Outside of a few outliers like Vegas, Miami, NOLA and NYC you have a whole bunch of Mediocre. In my view Boston is adequate in a sea of barely average which is the USA when it comes to nightlife.

Most countries are just getting started when our cities are rolling up. Yes the US gets it right when it comes to a lot but nightlife is just not one of them.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
The nightlife topic really cracks me up. Seriously we are speaking about the US here which easily has one of the worst nightlife scenes anywhere on the planet. The overregulation make it a good place to live but hardly the best place to let loose and party. Outside of a few outliers like Vegas, Miami, NOLA and NYC you have a whole bunch of Mediocre. In my view Boston is adequate in a sea of barely average which is the USA when it comes to nightlife.

Most countries are just getting started when our cities are rolling up. Yes the US gets it right when it comes to a lot but nightlife is just not one of them.
Nightlife, to be fair, is also extremely overrated.

I mean, yeah, Spain is a better place to party than the US. They also don't have jobs, or do anything productive. I'd rather have a job and not party.

At the same time, there is zero reason we can't get rid of the strictest alcohol laws outside of Saudi Arabia. Boston can start just by allowing patrons to have drinks on their patios without food (gasp!). Once they see that the world hasn't ended, we can go from there. Baby steps.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perverse Instantiation View Post
Thing is I never said white = boring because if I did, I would have called Seattle boring which is about 70 white? Seattle is way more exciting of a city than Boston and is more unpredictable....maybe because of the magical West Coast "live and let live" Vibe that cities along the west coast have that east coast cities generally don't.

The happy hour laws that Boston have though is an example of what I'm talking about. The culture of the city is too uptight and doesn't allow you to LIVE.
Ok I'll take you at your word.

And yes, the happy hour laws are ridiculous. Everyone thinks it's a leftover blue law or somehow related to Puritanism. In fact, it came about in the 1980s.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:49 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Ok I'll take you at your word.

And yes, the happy hour laws are ridiculous. Everyone thinks it's a leftover blue law or somehow related to Puritanism. In fact, it came about in the 1980s.
Yep. Mike Dukakis pushed the law through that banned Happy Hour in Massachusetts back in 1984. An incident in Fall of 1983 was the breaking point for him. I have older cousins that would tell stories of how back in the 70s and early 80s you could get nickel drafts and 3 for 1 specials at various bars in Boston.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:41 AM

33 posts, read 29,120 times
Seattle all the way!

Old 07-02-2016, 01:18 PM

103 posts, read 96,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
College kids go to pubs and bars here in Boston, what Boston lacks is flashy Miami Beach style nightclubs.
College kids to go pubs and bars everywhere. But other cities also have lots of huge, exciting nightclubs. Why don't more open in Boston? There's obviously the market for it.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:32 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,750 times
I like both for different reasons. Grew up in New England and recently moved to Washington. Washington and Seattle in general is amazingly beautiful. Lived up and down the east coast for several years (military) and nothing compares to it out here IMO. Boston however has awesome history and architecture which I love. The cape is also a lot of fun in the summer and the beaches are swimmable (not really the case over here). But the forests, mountains etc over here are just amazing. Also no hot humid summers and cold winters like back in New England. The COL in Boston however is quite high even compared to Seattle. Even living within 45 minutes or so of Boston is high which isn't so much the case here (not yet anyway but it's getting there).

Last edited by fluffydelusions; 07-02-2016 at 09:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City