Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 01:40 PM

217 posts, read 561,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Seattle....the fact that many people evidently wear flannel regularly, which may or may not qualify as a manly sort of quality.
1993 called, they want their old Seattle stereotype back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 02:25 PM

491 posts, read 886,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post

So between San Diego, Seattle, Denver, and Houston, which one are the following:

-Most economically prosperous: The city where I would most likely be able to either get a job acceptance/transfer while applying where I currently am, or where I would have the least time waiting between moving to a place and obtaining a decent job.

Houston

-Most open to newcomers in their 20s: The city where someone who knows no one can meet people in the shortest amount, those who are genuine, and are truly friendly. None of this "stick to the clique I had in college/HS/Daycare BS" I deal with where I live.

Seattle, with Houston in a very close 2nd.

-Most laid back: The city where people don't feel pressured on a daily basis. The city where someone can take an hour on their looks and get compliments from dudes and smiles from chicks instead of death-threatening stares. Where I am, it seems like the better I look, the more nasty stares I get.

Seattle

-Most racially integrated: Not to be confused with "diverse" where you have a bunch of ethnic groups living near one another but are just "tolerating" each other enough not to have a race riot. I know the following four are all great in this department, but what's the city that best at fostering an environment of true racial harmony.

Seattle/Houston - tie

-Least resistance to higher positions/starting my own business: The city where the "Good ol' Boy" system of inside politics and "daddy's friend references" are at a minimum. The city where merit is recognized the most. And the city where someone who wants to run their own business can get the easiest start with minimal bureaucratic red-tape.

Don't honestly know

-The most masculine grit: The city who's males are the most not ashamed of being men! The city where the pastime is going to sports bars and cookouts watching football and UFC and having a few beers. The city where I can have a chest, six-pack, and strong thighs and not feel fat.

San Diego

-Most libertarian: The city where anyone can do anything (and while we're at it, anyone) they want without some sort of governmental, religious fundamental, or social rule interfering with their life. I personally believe that truly libertarian environments are the most open-minded, even more than today's "liberal" environments.

Denver (Sorry, but just because Ron Paul is from Lake Jackson, a tiny city of 30,000, sixty miles outside of Houston... doesn't make Houston a Libertarian paradise)

-Least like Washington DC in EVERY WAY! (which is what this mostly all boils down to). Take all of the criticisms of Washington DC (pretentiousness, passive-aggressiveness, subtle racial tension, cut-throat attitude, blandness, stress, etc) And tell me the city that's the antithesis of all of those things.

Denver
I highlighted my recommendations in red.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:55 PM

96 posts, read 245,531 times
I'll throw in a couple more just for fun...

Scenery
Seattle > San Diego > Denver >>> Houston

Outdoor Activities
Seattle (mountains, cold beaches & more) > Denver (fantastic mountains) = San Diego (best beaches outside of FL, mountains) > Houston (ugly beaches)

Food & Restaurants
Houston (no contest) >>> Seattle > San Diego > Denver

Bars & Night Clubs
Denver > Seattle > San Diego > Houston (requires a trip to Austin) Weather
San Diego >>> Denver > Houston = Seattle

Arts Scene
Seattle > Denver > Houston > San Diego (requires a trip to LA)

Cutest Females
San Diego > Houston > Denver > Seattle

Dating Scene (chances of hooking up with said Females)
Houston > San Diego >> Seattle >>> Denver (severely low supply of single women)

Expenses & Affordability
Houston > Denver > Seattle > San Diego

Big City Feel & Metro Size
Houston > San Diego = Denver > Seattle (but not by much)

Bad Drivers & Traffic
Denver = Houston = San Diego = Seattle

Better Experience than Washington D.C.
All of them

Old 06-30-2011, 09:24 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIBЄ View Post
Bars & Night Clubs
Denver > Seattle > San Diego > Houston (requires a trip to Austin)
This is new to me.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:30 PM

96 posts, read 245,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
This is new to me.
Yeah...I just reread that. I guess with nightlife it really depends on what you're into.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:57 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIBЄ View Post

Food & Restaurants
Houston (no contest) >>> Seattle > San Diego > Denver
No contest? Hardly. Houston has lots of great places to eat. But Seattle does as well. And Seattle has better seafood without the oil sheen.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:31 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
No contest? Hardly. Houston has lots of great places to eat. But Seattle does as well. And Seattle has better seafood without the oil sheen.
Yeah but I think the options are greater in Houston as it is more diverse and sits in a more transitional area in the US.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:17 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
Now that I have a general idea of what's what, now I want to play "devil's advocate."

San Diego: Although it has a better quality of life than LA, I still need to know about these issues. Are the people as materialistic as those in LA (granted from my experience, LA seems less snooty than DC). During my visit in SD, the environment was generally laid back and were far from nasty in their general attitudes, but in the SD forums, there are still some who compare it to LA. Also, how is SD handling the illegal immigrant issue. I know it's not as bad as it is in LA, but I would much prefer to live among Mexicans who are Americanized and don't go off commiting racist actions in the name of "La Raza".

Seattle: seems nearly perfect in some departments, specifically with its economy, safety, and race relations. But is it as hard as people say it is to meet people? Are people that socially withdrawn from meeting others because of the weather and more than average smart/nerdy demographic? (nothing against nerds). Also, being a liberal city, does it have the liberal values of the 20th century like open-mindness, world peace, and civil rights. Or is the liberal mentality more in line with the extremist ideologue, hipster infested, limousine liberalism of today, i.e. what San Fran has become?

Denver: not to much to worry about, however, I don't know too much about what Denver is about. I know Denver isn't some cowtown where I would be bored to death, but are there plenty of things to do without going to Boulder or Aspen? Also, what is up with your sports teams, lol? I can see Denver as a big sports town but your teams' records aren't reflecting the passion of the fanbases, lol.

Houston: there seems to be a lot of black Houstonians that posted here, so hopefully I can get a good perspective on this. I've lived in what most people say is "the 2nd best place for blacks to live." However, I've never been as mistreated "by my own" just because I don't culturally mirror what blacks are "supposed to talk/eat/like/act." Will I face the same "ain't black enough" criticism from blacks in Houston, or are blacks in Houston more open-minded? Please don't get offended, but this is from the effed up experience I dealt with DC's AA community. The blood's on their hands, not yours.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:02 PM

635 posts, read 1,541,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
San Diego: Although it has a better quality of life than LA, I still need to know about these issues. Are the people as materialistic as those in LA (granted from my experience, LA seems less snooty than DC). During my visit in SD, the environment was generally laid back and were far from nasty in their general attitudes, but in the SD forums, there are still some who compare it to LA. Also, how is SD handling the illegal immigrant issue. I know it's not as bad as it is in LA, but I would much prefer to live among Mexicans who are Americanized and don't go off commiting racist actions in the name of "La Raza".
San Diego people are not as materialistic. I think you'll find we have a great appreciation for the outdoors and that's partly we San Diego is so laid back. No doubt you will find snooty people, but they exist everywhere. San Diego is known for being a sharp contrast to the L.A. barbie lifestyle. The illegal immigrant issue is unnoticeable in San Diego, especially if you are living in the North County cities. "La Raza" isn't really a thing out here and I've personally never heard the word uttered out here; that would seem to be more of an Arizona type deal.

Quote:
Denver: not to much to worry about, however, I don't know too much about what Denver is about. I know Denver isn't some cowtown where I would be bored to death, but are there plenty of things to do without going to Boulder or Aspen? Also, what is up with your sports teams, lol? I can see Denver as a big sports town but your teams' records aren't reflecting the passion of the fanbases, lol.
Aspen is a ways away from Denver. That wont exactly be your common thing do to do. Denver has a decent downtown that has picked up in recent years. People in Denver are also very passionate about the Avs and the Broncos. I found downtown and the Denver suburbs mildly interesting, but I could never live in Denver.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:00 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
Texas is not isolated at all.
Misery loves company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City