U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 12:57 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,602,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Coming from a native Flordian and one that has visited Dallas many times and actually lived in Canada, your beaches are nothing worth mentioning. So please. Enough with that talk. And you said what does Dallas have that Toronto doesn't? Hospitable people for one. Affordable housing and cost of living. The fact that any middle-class American can have the traditional American dream. Large home, family, car, white-picket fence, you can have it all in Texas. Attractive women which Dallas is known internationally for. So your accusations of 300-pound women on every block is severely deluded and completely false. Winters in Dallas are less harsh than Toronto. No blizzards here. And Dallas has an in-tact economy.
I agree on the beaches and affordability, but everything else is insane. Toronto and Canadians in general seem to be some of the nicest people I've ever met. Texas is known for being close minded and conservative, so I don't feel like everyone feels welcomed there. Also, Toronto has some of the best looking women I have ever seen! There is no way Dallas wins in that category. And do you remember how the Superbowl went for Dallas last year? Toronto may have a lot more snow, but at least they know how to take care of it.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:01 PM

717 posts, read 193,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I agree on the beaches and affordability, but everything else is insane. Toronto and Canadians in general seem to be some of the nicest people I've ever met. Texas is known for being close minded and conservative, so I don't feel like everyone feels welcomed there. Also, Toronto has some of the best looking women I have ever seen! There is no way Dallas wins in that category. And do you remember how the Superbowl went for Dallas last year? Toronto may have a lot more snow, but at least they know how to take care of it.
You're as smart as gointolaorchi!

Old 06-27-2011, 01:12 PM

13,432 posts, read 14,720,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gointolaorchi View Post
Def Toronto. Dallas really went downhill after WWII, they had a decent city and setup before then though. Now it's a suburban disaster with 16 lane freeways, annoying people, and terrible food, sports, entertainment, and transportation. They boast about having one of the most busiest airports in America. That's pretty much all they can boast about because people can't wait to get the hell out once they arrive.

Terrible sports huh. Terrible food huh? You don't know what you're talking about. Also, for the record, I'm not a Dallasite.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:56 PM

10,220 posts, read 10,808,521 times
First off, let me say that if this was a poll, I would have voted for Toronto even though I live in the Dallas area. Toronto is easily the most diverse and integrated city in the world. Its supremely world class and I do find the people there to be friendly even by Texan standards.

I will also say that I travel to Toronto 2 or 3 times a year. Never once has anyone put me down for living in Texas nor has anyone put Texas down. Canadians dont really engage in that.

Now then, saying all that, to the people in this thread who feel the need to put down Dallas for Toronto's benefit, just stop. Dallas is an amazing sports city (this may be the one category that Dallas actually wins on), the women here are good looking overall, and the food here is world class and Texan all at the same time.

Toronto may be the better city, but cut Dallas some slack for the things it actually does well (like sports, shopping, and food).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Texas is known for being close minded and conservative, so I don't feel like everyone feels welcomed there. Also,
Watch this and get back to me:

YouTube - ‪Gay Parents Bashed‬‏

Texas is conservative overall and outside the main urban areas in Dallas, it is as well. But its a long jump from conservative to bigot and I say that as a staunch liberal.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:07 PM

25,076 posts, read 32,487,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
First off, let me say that if this was a poll, I would have voted for Toronto even though I live in the Dallas area. Toronto is easily the most diverse and integrated city in the world. Its supremely world class and I do find the people there to be friendly even by Texan standards.

I will also say that I travel to Toronto 2 or 3 times a year. Never once has anyone put me down for living in Texas nor has anyone put Texas down. Canadians dont really engage in that.

Now then, saying all that, to the people in this thread who feel the need to put down Dallas for Toronto's benefit, just stop. Dallas is an amazing sports city (this may be the one category that Dallas actually wins on), the women here are good looking overall, and the food here is world class and Texan all at the same time.

Toronto may be the better city, but cut Dallas some slack for the things it actually does well (like sports, shopping, and food).

Watch this and get back to me:

YouTube - ‪Gay Parents Bashed‬‏

Texas is conservative overall and outside the main urban areas in Dallas, it is as well. But its a long jump from conservative to bigot and I say that as a staunch liberal.
That's the 20/20 show I was talking about. Very cool.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:50 PM

478 posts, read 214,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by number32 View Post
Toronto maybe in the shadow of New York but it still benefits from that. Most people outside of the United Sate consider Toronto a World City. Dallas is well known but its starture isn't up there with Toronto.
lol

Thanks for the laugh.

it's only a world city viewed from the "center of the universe"

Old 06-27-2011, 04:51 PM

13,432 posts, read 14,720,378 times
Dallas proper is not conservative at all. Now the metro area.... In fact, San Antonio is more conservative than Dallas.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:54 PM

10,220 posts, read 10,808,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Dallas proper is not conservative at all. Now the metro area.... In fact, San Antonio is more conservative than Dallas.
Spade, quit ruining the fun. We know its so much more fun to rely on stereotypes than face facts.

Dallas proper and Dallas county are not even slightly conservative. Once you get outside Dallas county is when it gets really conservative. But even then, the video I posted was shot in Farmers Branch which is viewed as very conservative.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:30 PM

14 posts, read 20,101 times
Both are great cities but, Toronto just screams 'world class'. In terms of livablity Toronto wins in my opinion. Toronto is more diverse and integrated, and seams to have better transportation within the city proper. It's Toronto for me.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:22 PM

2,429 posts, read 2,222,858 times
Dallas was conservative a long time ago. When you're the fastest growing metro area in the U.S. things do tend to change culturally. Not just the city of Dallas, but Dallas county are pretty liberal, they actually bucked the trend of most places voting Republican in this last election by still voting liberally. You folks may want to check your facts before you go name calling. I dont think Houston or San Antonio are more liberal than Dallas either. Austin is for sure, but Dallas is more cultural and cosmopolitan than Austin so to me that balances out any indifference on the liberal front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City