U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 09:26 PM

1,954 posts, read 1,611,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
I'm a go out and say this but Texas is by faaaaaaaaaar one of the most courteous and less judgmental states in the country and everything that has been said about Texas being a bigoted state is a statement far too removed from reality. I've been here in SF for about 3 months and most people I've encountered say the same thing that Texas is a bigoted state and everytime I have to go through the process of explaining to them how truly wrong they are.

It's true however that the more rural you go, the more bigoted it will get.... but that's everywhere, including here in California.

I'm not sure about Canada. IF there's one thing I've always stereo-typed canadians with is that they are all very nice people. But probably I too am a little far removed from reality. I dunno, what I do know... is that I'd probably most likely pick Toronto over Dallas. Dallas just doesn't really appeal to me.... except of course, it's skyline.
It's a little hard to say. I find that people around here (Toronto) can be pretty non-confrontational. They might help give you directions, but they might not intervene if they see someone mistreating others. Mind you, in that reality TV show, the actress was going pretty far, so I would think you would get a reaction out of people if it was filmed in Toronto.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:38 PM

780 posts, read 847,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Hippy View Post
No. I live in Toronto and it's really cold about 6 weeks a year. Whoever told you that it's an "outdoor freezer" for 6 months a year is a lying idiot. Ignore them in the future.
I am fully aware that I'm probably alone in this, but I consider anything under 60 degrees to be "cold". Where I live the highs are usually 70 in the winter and around 85 in the summer, usually not fluctuating more than 10 degrees in one day. Of course, this is just the opinion of one person, and this poll really doesn't mean anything, I'm not bashing Toronto, but I had to pick one of the cities and since weather is important to me I picked Dallas. It might be below freezing for 6 weeks, if that's what you mean. But when you need a jacket and long pants, to me, that's cold weather. I admit outdoor freezer was a hyperbole, I take that back. I'm just not used to cold/cool/mild whatever you consider it, temperatures, sorry.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:51 PM

2,059 posts, read 2,001,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
It's a little hard to say. I find that people around here (Toronto) can be pretty non-confrontational. They might help give you directions, but they might not intervene if they see someone mistreating others. Mind you, in that reality TV show, the actress was going pretty far, so I would think you would get a reaction out of people if it was filmed in Toronto.
Yes, I was thinking the very same thing when I was watching the video. But I thought it was strange that people from New York didn't react to it and simply minded their own business. It's kinda the same deal I see here in SF. When something is happening, people just tend to mind their own business most of the time. I think it's a little like that in most major cities. I'm sure though that if there is something blatantly wrong, people will react to it.

However, in Texas it just seems that people are generally looking out for each other. If I had a nickel for the number of times that people visiting Austin would always say, "everybody here is so nice and very friendly" I'd have at least a few $100. From my experiences, I've found the same with Canadians. Just today I had the most pleasant conversation with a lady from Vancouver visiting San Francisco. And when I try striking up a conversation with the locals, they just say, "I'm fine, thanks." And hardly a smile. It doesn't always happen but it is more likely to occur.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:42 PM

17 posts, read 13,439 times
I've been to Toronto many times. Only been to Dallas once. I have to say that I don't find Canadians to be particularly friendly. On the other hand, I found Texans to be quite polite and friendly as well. I think both Toronto and Dallas are nice cities with some nice and not so nice area's. Dallas has way better shopping tho lol, which is a big deal for me, so another point for Dallas. As for weather, both can be unbearable, but I prefer Canada's weather. It's just too hot for me. I like having 4 seasons.

I like the feel of Toronto better overall. I prefer the vibe out there and it is a very diverse city which is a plus for me, so I'm gonna have to go with Toronto, but Dallas is great too.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:46 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,165,149 times
Toronto.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:56 PM

196 posts, read 359,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I've only been to Toronto once, a month ago, and I actually did see an incident of somebody mistreating another. One middle-aged was beating another, who was lying on the sidewalk. A crowd was gathered round and nobody physically intervened, but whenever the man would hit the other, they would all shout, "Stop!" At some point he stopped hitting the guy and then they were warily circling each other and shouting insults, and people in the crowd just kept yelling, "Stop!" and "Don't do that!" and "Let him be!" and "Just walk away!" So nobody was getting directly involved, but they were certainly intervening in some respect, and I believe that it really was the presence of the crowd that kept worse things from happening. This was on Spadina Avenue, north of Queen at about 2:00 in the morning.

Of course, I don't know if one can extrapolate to define the character of a whole city from one incident.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:56 PM

1,954 posts, read 1,611,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlight207 View Post
Dallas has way better shopping tho lol, which is a big deal for me, so another point for Dallas.
Where did you go shopping in Toronto? What kind of shopping are you into? While I can't speak for Dallas, I think Toronto has shopping for all tastes.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:14 AM

1,551 posts, read 1,640,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlight207 View Post
I've been to Toronto many times. Only been to Dallas once. I have to say that I don't find Canadians to be particularly friendly. On the other hand, I found Texans to be quite polite and friendly as well. I think both Toronto and Dallas are nice cities with some nice and not so nice area's. Dallas has way better shopping tho lol, which is a big deal for me, so another point for Dallas. As for weather, both can be unbearable, but I prefer Canada's weather. It's just too hot for me. I like having 4 seasons.

I like the feel of Toronto better overall. I prefer the vibe out there and it is a very diverse city which is a plus for me, so I'm gonna have to go with Toronto, but Dallas is great too.
Dallas has way better shopping than Toronto???? I guess I can't be 100% sure since I've never really shopped in Dallas, but I doubt Dallas has better shopping.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:30 AM

35 posts, read 27,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SC View Post
In terms of amenities, culture, and quality of life which city is superior?

Have relatives in both. Came back from Dallas yesterday. Got back from a visit to Toronto 4 weeks ago.

Dallas= better weather, lower taxes (around 8% vs. 13%), cheaper housing.
Toronto=more amenities, day trip excursions (Niagara Falls, various resorts in and around Toronto), better culture for sure (Toronto's International Film Festival is world class and highly influential), probably better museums, government provided healthcare (does not make the higher taxes feel unjustified), better schools, both K-12 and higher education, better quality of life with a general more laid back attitude, more embracing of diversity.

Toronto is a wold class city, perhaps the most important city of Canada. Dallas is far from being the most important city of America.

I prefer Canada and Toronto over the U.S. and Texas. I've visited Calgary and Vancouver as well. I've lived in Texas most of my life (Houston, which would not be considered much different from Dallas).

Old 08-08-2011, 02:32 AM

35 posts, read 27,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Dallas has way better shopping than Toronto???? I guess I can't be 100% sure since I've never really shopped in Dallas, but I doubt Dallas has better shopping.
Toronto's shopping KILLS Dallas. Its no comparison. There are many more Zara's, H&M's, etc. (Dallas doesn't even have one H&M).

Toronto's Eaton Center annihilates Dallas' Northpark mall. Its not even a comparison. Torontos square one is another respectable mall.

Quite frankly this is an unfair comparison. Toronto should be compared more to Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City