Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2016, 06:42 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc919va757sc803 View Post
Richmond is much more like Greensboro the design downtown its more urban feeling. Raleigh is more suburban.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:35 PM

77 posts, read 165,328 times
I havent lived in the region for more than 2 months since 2008 i frequently visit though. I meant Winston Salem more than Greensboro but i was talking about the general area. I think Va and Nc are both midatlantic but outside of the bigger cities I feel feel both are southern even in suburbs of the bigger cities(chester, hopewell, petersburg, dinwiddie, varina, Ashland) for richmond, (wake forest, knightdale, Fuquay varina, Apex) for Raleigh. Richmond is a lottt more than VCU but it is the only prominent renowed university in the area. I think Richmond is great for singles but to raise a family all things considered I pick Raleigh.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:09 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,404,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc919va757sc803 View Post
I havent lived in the region for more than 2 months since 2008 i frequently visit though. I meant Winston Salem more than Greensboro but i was talking about the general area. I think Va and Nc are both midatlantic but outside of the bigger cities I feel feel both are southern even in suburbs of the bigger cities(chester, hopewell, petersburg, dinwiddie, varina, Ashland) for richmond, (wake forest, knightdale, Fuquay varina, Apex) for Raleigh. Richmond is a lottt more than VCU but it is the only prominent renowed university in the area. I think Richmond is great for singles but to raise a family all things considered I pick Raleigh.
NC and Virginia are culturally and historically southern, they are geographically located in the southern tier of the US both. Both are solidly southern states. I absolutely hate people who come in and are like " NC is becoming more mid Atlantic! Very good!" Just because they hate the south. Seen a couple retards in the NC forum who write crap like that.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:53 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
NC and Virginia are culturally and historically southern, they are geographically located in the southern tier of the US both. Both are solidly southern states. I absolutely hate people who come in and are like " NC is becoming more mid Atlantic! Very good!" Just because they hate the south. Seen a couple retards in the NC forum who write crap like that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_states

https://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st5/pub...ommunities.pdf

Old 08-03-2016, 10:14 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
...cuz wikipedia is always the source of truth.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:38 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times
Richmond

Old 08-04-2016, 04:33 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
...cuz wikipedia is always the source of truth.
Fortunately for you, Wikipedia isn't the only entity that labels Virginia Mid-Atlantic...

This thread is silly. We have a guy trying to convince everyone that Richmond is like Greensboro, then changed it to Winston, is saying Richmond is more Southern than Tidewater or Raleigh, and yet none of those statements have been substantiated with any proof...

Does Richmond share some commonalities with some NC cities? Sure. Is Richmond southern? Yes. But clearly, Richmond is a different type of southern, and shares less in common, with Carolina cities than cities in its own state, and particularly DC and quite possibly Baltimore. The main protagonist in this thread hasn't been to Richmond since 2008, and frankly, even then, it was pretty far removed from anywhere in NC culturally....

By the way, @nc919, I went to Prince George, too, c/o 2007. Prince George and the Tri-Cities (particularly Dinwiddie) are the most culturally southern areas of Greater Richmond, but even then, as @aquest suggested, the eastern Tri-Cities (Prince George/Hopewell) are more accurately a transition zone from Richmond to Tidewater, and not culturally southern in the magnitude of smaller North Carolina cities and counties. That's a different topic for a different thread, but I've said it here before and have plenty of evidence to support my statement...

Last edited by murksiderock; 08-04-2016 at 04:49 AM..

Old 08-04-2016, 05:31 AM

386 posts, read 986,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Fortunately for you, Wikipedia isn't the only entity that labels Virginia Mid-Atlantic...

This thread is silly. We have a guy trying to convince everyone that Richmond is like Greensboro, then changed it to Winston, is saying Richmond is more Southern than Tidewater or Raleigh, and yet none of those statements have been substantiated with any proof...

Does Richmond share some commonalities with some NC cities? Sure. Is Richmond southern? Yes. But clearly, Richmond is a different type of southern, and shares less in common, with Carolina cities than cities in its own state, and particularly DC and quite possibly Baltimore. The main protagonist in this thread hasn't been to Richmond since 2008, and frankly, even then, it was pretty far removed from anywhere in NC culturally....

By the way, @nc919, I went to Prince George, too, c/o 2007. Prince George and the Tri-Cities (particularly Dinwiddie) are the most culturally southern areas of Greater Richmond, but even then, as @aquest suggested, the eastern Tri-Cities (Prince George/Hopewell) are more accurately a transition zone from Richmond to Tidewater, and not culturally southern in the magnitude of smaller North Carolina cities and counties. That's a different topic for a different thread, but I've said it here before and have plenty of evidence to support my statement...
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I don't see a large connection between Richmond and Greensboro; however, I see how someone could say Richmond is like a mixture of DC/Savannah. Richmond and Raleigh are different kinds of cities that would appeal to different kinds of people. With that said, Richmond has more of a midatlantic/historical Virginia southern vibe, while Raleigh has more of a new south/transient vibe. Personally, I don't see how Richmond is more southern than Raleigh, but I see why some people say it is more southern than parts of tidewater from an AA perspective (accents, demeanor, music, style of dress/etc). We would have to discuss/debate that in another thread, but I have heard the statement many times before.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:05 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,404,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I don't see a large connection between Richmond and Greensboro; however, I see how someone could say Richmond is like a mixture of DC/Savannah. Richmond and Raleigh are different kinds of cities that would appeal to different kinds of people. With that said, Richmond has more of a midatlantic/historical Virginia southern vibe, while Raleigh has more of a new south/transient vibe. Personally, I don't see how Richmond is more southern than Raleigh, but I see why some people say it is more southern than parts of tidewater from an AA perspective (accents, demeanor, music, style of dress/etc). We would have to discuss/debate that in another thread, but I have heard the statement many times before.
Have to agree, Richmond is a very nice city and I was in awe when I visited it this past weekend. I noticed Richmond had lots more historical houses and sites than raleigh, but also had a more northern vibe in the downtown area because of its layout. I suppose that Richmond with all its transplants may not feel southern any more, but you can take Richmond out of the south but you can't take the south out of Richmond. There are people who argue southern jersey feels southern, yet people don't want to consider Richmond southern. Richmond to me felt like a combination of Charleston with all those historic houses, and Baltimore with its row houses. People seem to forget Richmond was the CAPITOL of the entire south at one point, that just doesn't go away.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:55 PM

464 posts, read 523,018 times
Richmond is much smaller, and growing slower. It's no competition. Let's move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City