Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:12 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
it's not a misrepresentation of reality, it's an opinion based on the fact that I think Philadelphia is mediocre, and that living there on $65k would suck immensely.

i could call your claims a misrepresentation of reality, as well. Philly does not have a "balanced" climate, it is freezing cold. It does not have a "top notch" cultural scene ... like London or New York. It also has some extremely UN-livable urban neighborhoods, which look like a war zone.

I've been to some really nice PA suburbs up towards Bryn Mawr, and i've ridden the train, and hung out downtown. It is what it is.
To each their own.

I'm not certainly not out to change your opinion, and I never said that there aren't negative attributes (I also meant "balanced" in the sense of having every season well represented; not temperate). What you think of the city is your business entirely. Things like climate, livability and culture are always going to be subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 08:13 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
To each their own.

I'm not certainly not out to change your opinion. What you think of the city is your business entirely. Things like climate, livability and culture are always going to be subjective.
agreed, so don't tell me i'm misrepresenting reality, by stating my opinion. I didn't see you contradict any of my facts, with facts of your own.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:16 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
The only useful links you're providing here are the Reader's Digest and Forbes' breakdown of environment-related data (Travel & Leisure polls are routinely based on completely unscientific methodology and is purely a "buzz" publication). Even then, it's obvious the RD and Forbes' data is highly skewed against older, post-industrial cities with very high population density (i.e., Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Chicago). Not to mention it's unclear if Forbes' even accounted for such a simple metric as per capita releases in "pounds of chemicals" in each metro area.

I'm not trying to be contrarian to actual useful evidence that Philadelphia is "slummy" or "dirty," but what you've cited as a basis to your conclusion is, at best, debatable. It's very difficult to meaningfully quantify those attributes (that don't involve anecdotal/superficial assessments).
It's a bit of a tired cliche that Philly is dirty, slummy, etc. On our first visit here two years ago we were impressed with how clean and green this tree-lined city is. Consequently, Philly rose to the top of our list for relo. Interestingly enough, I worked for a Fortune 50 company before moving here. Our HR org had a relationship with Wharton for our leadership development program, sending lots of folks for extended stays here each year. Most of the folks to whom I told I was moving to Philly shared my opinion.

I'm pretty sure folks who make these claims have either never been here, were last here 20 years ago or are the typical CD "haters." Since I know the truth, I let this stuff sldie off. Those who know and visit Philly can distinguish between the nonsense posted by a handful of folks and reality.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
agreed, so don't tell me i'm misrepresenting reality, by stating my opinion. I didn't see you contradict any of my facts, with facts of your own.
No need to get so defensive. I did sense an undue harshness in your assessment, but I often have to remind myself that there's no sense in arguing with an opinion. Not to mention the use of the term "fact" is entirely inappropriate here unless you're going to cite statistical evidence. The only qualm I had with your statement in terms of "misrepresenting reality" was that "only natives of Philly" would have a desire to live here, which is, indeed, not based on reality. That's honestly all there is to it.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:20 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
it's not a misrepresentation of reality, it's an opinion based on the fact that I think Philadelphia is expensive and mediocre, and that living there on $65k would suck immensely compared to $85k in Mobile.

i could call your claims a misrepresentation of reality, as well. It isn't a fact that Philly has a "balanced" climate, as far as I can tell it is freezing cold. It does not have a "top notch" cultural scene ... like London or New York. It also has some extremely UN-livable urban neighborhoods, which look like a war zone.
You realize the question is Philadelphia vs Mobile, right? Philadelphia has a very "balanced" climate compared to most places in the US. Philly is "freezing cold" from November to February. It is hot and humid from June-August. The remaining months are beautiful. And Philadelphia indeed has a "top notch" cultural scene. Maybe London and New York have even more cultural offerings but I'm not sure why you are bringing those cities into the equation. Of course Philly has bad hoods-every single city in the country does. It seems you just don't prefer urban areas-which is fine but there is no need to singularly attack Philly.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
You realize the question is Philadelphia vs Mobile, right?
I do. Have you ever been to Mobile?

Quote:
The only qualm I had with your statement in terms of "misrepresenting reality" was that "only natives of Philly" would have a desire to live here
That isn't even what I said.

First, I said "the big reason", not "the only reason." Might seem irrelevant to you, but there's a huge logical difference.

Second, I didn't say "Natives of Philly." I said "people from that area." Philly is part of a larger urban area spanning from Boston to DC, which you yourself even acknowledged in your post. Somehow you took a comment that logically meant, "People in the urban northeast would prefer Philly," and translated that into, "Only people native to Philly would desire to live there."

Old 07-05-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:

First, I said "the big reason", not "the only reason." Might seem irrelevant to you, but there's a huge logical difference.

Second, I didn't say "Natives of Philly." I said "people from that area." Philly is part of a larger urban area spanning from Boston to DC, which you yourself even acknowledged in your post. Somehow you took a comment that logically meant, "People in the urban northeast would prefer Philly," and translated that into, "Only people native to Philly would desire to live there."
I did not mean to misquote you or grossly mis-interpret your statement, and I do appreciate the clarification. I acknowledge that it was a mis-understanding on my part.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:14 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
Despite being Beta World Class cities, many people in these "dense" northeastern cities (and Chicago, San Fran, etc.) still view southern cities such as Atlanta, Dallas and Houston as being nothing more than "large suburbs" just barely a step above rural.

With that mentality, it's no wonder with they think about a place like Mobile. They probably think there's just a bunch of bait and tackle shops on every corner, trailers and Nascar lovers as far as the eye can see.

The truth is, while it isnt close to being a Philadelphia, Mobile is a mid-sized metropolitan city. You can find some interesting things to get into there.

I could understand taking Phila. and less money if you had to stay in some backwoods town that only has a Wal-Mart, but I bet you cold make Mobile work, especially considering the difference in salary and cost of living.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:33 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,622 times
Philly

Old 07-05-2011, 10:57 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
The only useful links you're providing here are the Reader's Digest and Forbes' breakdown of environment-related data (Travel & Leisure polls are routinely based on completely unscientific methodology and is purely a "buzz" publication). Even then, it's obvious the RD and Forbes' data is highly skewed against older, post-industrial cities with very high population density (i.e., Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Chicago). Not to mention it's unclear if Forbes' even accounted for such a simple metric as per capita releases in "pounds of chemicals" in each metro area.

I'm not trying to be contrarian to actual useful evidence that Philadelphia is "slummy" or "dirty," but what you've cited as a basis to your conclusion is, at best, debatable. It's very difficult to meaningfully quantify those attributes (that don't involve anecdotal/superficial assessments).
The T&L data is compiled by travelers and has a separate component for city residents and is by no means "buzz" oriented. I find it both humorous and pathetic how many Philadelphians fight the very real image of filth/grime/decay. Perhaps if more city residents were to take a 20/20 look around we would be having less of these conversations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City