U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:18 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,200,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Be careful; I can think of a major city in Maryland that just might fit this description

People in glass houses...
Yeah, yeah Baltimore is not in the same class as Detroit. Baltimore is on an upswing, the population decline halted a few years ago, the city's economy has almost entirely moved away from it's blue-collar heavy industry roots (like what's happening in Pitt.), there's been a whole lot of gentrification, and housing prices are increasing rapidly in many neighborhoods downtown. The next closest city to Detroit if you asked me would be Cleveland. Don't get me wrong though Baltimore definitely isn't sterile, and I'm not picking on any city I'm just answering the OP's question like everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Who's kidding? It's still one of the US's biggest cities with one of the biggest economies. It's a transit hub, one of our largest international crossings, and hosts a lot more than the Big 3. Besides, the Big 3 might be down, but they're nowhere near out.

You're going to tell me that Katrina wasn't disruptive to the US as a whole? It might not have affected you in any large way personally, but that's because the cost of it was amortized over a huge population--that same cost could have been put into any number of things. Not to mention the personal disruptions for people who live there or have any links to the region. Get over yourself.
You're still kidding yourself the Big 3 is out. There's no way they'll regain the market share they had just 20 years ago. I don't think they'll go out of business thanks to the government and my tax $, but they're definitely downsizing a whole lot. As I said it's not just the current recession, in the past 10 years GM has killed off more than half it's brands (Pontiac, Olds, Geo, Hummer, Saturn), so has Chrysler (Eagle, Plymouth), and Ford has sold off all it's foreign subsidiaries except Mazda and Volvo (imho it's these two brands why they're in better shape than the other 2). The recession would have just been the nail in the coffin if the govt didn't step in, so they have no one to blame but themselves.

Detroit obviously has other businesses, but the Big 3 and their suppliers are definitely the main economic driving force (or was). "Detroit" is virtually synonomous with the American auto industry. If all 3 were to completely fail, I think it would be fair to say it would be "lights out" in Detroit.

Geez, I didn't say Katrina didn't have any effect countrywide. I personally know a number of different people who went to help, so you need to get over yourself. You said the rest of the country would "be in turmoil" which wasn't the case. In fact, initially the rest of the country were comfortably sitting on their couches watching CNN (including the idiot in the WH), while the residents of New Orleans were strugging to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 10:11 PM

317 posts, read 794,783 times
Sure. Hyattville, Wyoming.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:30 PM

20,424 posts, read 21,973,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
You're still kidding yourself the Big 3 is out. There's no way they'll regain the market share they had just 20 years ago. I don't think they'll go out of business thanks to the government and my tax $, but they're definitely downsizing a whole lot. As I said it's not just the current recession, in the past 10 years GM has killed off more than half it's brands (Pontiac, Olds, Geo, Hummer, Saturn), so has Chrysler (Eagle, Plymouth), and Ford has sold off all it's foreign subsidiaries except Mazda and Volvo (imho it's these two brands why they're in better shape than the other 2). The recession would have just been the nail in the coffin if the govt didn't step in, so they have no one to blame but themselves.

Detroit obviously has other businesses, but the Big 3 and their suppliers are definitely the main economic driving force (or was). "Detroit" is virtually synonomous with the American auto industry. If all 3 were to completely fail, I think it would be fair to say it would be "lights out" in Detroit.

Geez, I didn't say Katrina didn't have any effect countrywide. I personally know a number of different people who went to help, so you need to get over yourself. You said the rest of the country would "be in turmoil" which wasn't the case. In fact, initially the rest of the country were comfortably sitting on their couches watching CNN (including the idiot in the WH), while the residents of New Orleans were strugging to survive.
I'm not defending the Big 3 or its practices. I have no special affection for them and haven't owned a car in the last 5 years. The fact remains that the Big 3 are still huge despite how terrible the downturn's been and it's silly to say they aren't. It's fine that they're killing off their brands as it's some indication that they've realized how ridiculous their brand structuring is. As for Ford selling off its subsidiaries overseas, I'm pretty sure you're misunderstanding something there (perhaps you're confusing brand names with subsidiaries). Ford's foreign subsidiaries, especially in Europe, have been profitable and are still existent. This isn't to say they're thriving--they're not--but they're still huge.

And though the Big 3 is the primary economic driver for Detroit, Detroit would still be substantial without them because it's a very large city and a very large metro. Aside from that there's also a lot other non-monetary ties to the city.

I said if a major city were to fall off the face of the Earth the US would be in turmoil. Katrina didn't knock New Orleans off the face of the Earth. That was my first post when I was addressing "wiped off the face of the Earth" to its full extent.

Anyhow, I can single-handedly make you wrong. I would care if Detroit fell off the face of the Earth.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:00 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,383,891 times
The Bronx and South Bronx,definitely eyesores.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:06 PM

1,855 posts, read 4,185,140 times
Quote:
He didn't mean it literally, and you can stop kidding yourself about Detroit. It was already hell on earth before the recession with its crime, Motown is long dead so there's no culture, and the Big 3 have had their heads up their rears since the 70's. You think it's by chance everyone nominates it?

Oh yeah Katrina did knock New Orleans off the face of the earth, but the rest of the US was fine.
I don't care if it was Witchita or Kathmandu. If any major world city were swallowed up by an earthquake or nuclear weapon and all of it including its inhabitants fell off the face of the earth, we would all feel it.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:50 AM

4,686 posts, read 4,045,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I find them to be ugly in some areas but nice in most of them.

To answer the original question: Jacksonville, FL.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:14 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,330,476 times
I think I forgot the most obvious one, Grano, North Dakota. All incorporated settlements in North Dakota are deemed cities and Grano seems to be the current choice for smallest incorporated settlement in North Dakota. (Maza is no longer incorporated) Grano has nine people.

If one doesn't count it, as it's in the Minot micropolitan area, than Amidon in the same state. It is a city of 26 people so my immediate family might be larger than it. (If you include nephews, nieces, great-nephews, great nieces, and the people some of those married) Amidon is the county seat for Slope County, North Dakota. Granted I'd still say someone would miss it, but far fewer people would miss it than most cities named.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:13 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,200,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm not defending the Big 3 or its practices. I have no special affection for them and haven't owned a car in the last 5 years. The fact remains that the Big 3 are still huge despite how terrible the downturn's been and it's silly to say they aren't. It's fine that they're killing off their brands as it's some indication that they've realized how ridiculous their brand structuring is. As for Ford selling off its subsidiaries overseas, I'm pretty sure you're misunderstanding something there (perhaps you're confusing brand names with subsidiaries). Ford's foreign subsidiaries, especially in Europe, have been profitable and are still existent. This isn't to say they're thriving--they're not--but they're still huge.

And though the Big 3 is the primary economic driver for Detroit, Detroit would still be substantial without them because it's a very large city and a very large metro. Aside from that there's also a lot other non-monetary ties to the city.

I said if a major city were to fall off the face of the Earth the US would be in turmoil. Katrina didn't knock New Orleans off the face of the Earth. That was my first post when I was addressing "wiped off the face of the Earth" to its full extent.

Anyhow, I can single-handedly make you wrong. I would care if Detroit fell off the face of the Earth.
Okay, let me take back what I said, because I think you're taking everything I said (and this thread) a little too literally. Of course if Detroit or N-O, or any other town in this country was miraculously wiped out we would obviously would feel it. I think I speak for everyone else who posted Detroit or any other city as well. Let me rephrase what the OP meant (or what I got from it anyway). He/she basically asked what the least significant/desirable city in this country was. I said Detroit. Yes I know every city is "important," but I was just speculating and I said Detroit because of its (increasingly) bad rep. There probably are "better" candidates out there.

Anyway, yes I know the difference between a brand name and a subsidiary. Lincoln and Mercury are Ford brand names, but Mazda, and Volvo are Ford subsidiaries. Two other of Ford's subsidiaries, Jaguar and Aston Martin, were recently sold to Tata and a private group in the UK respectively.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:18 PM

4,230 posts, read 8,908,026 times
Quote:
In fact, initially the rest of the country were comfortably sitting on their couches watching CNN (including the idiot in the WH), while the residents of New Orleans were strugging to survive.
Let 1 named storm enter the Gulf and watch gas prices.
If NO gets shut down and watch the prices on most of the goods shipped to the midwest.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:44 AM

6,967 posts, read 17,818,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
not all of the bronx. there is some awesome architecture in parts. and riverdale looks like westchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or