U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago MSA vs Philadelphia MSA: Most bang for your buck?
Chicago MSA 90 54.55%
Philadelphia MSA 49 29.70%
Too close to call 26 15.76%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 08:47 PM

4,111 posts, read 7,366,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Location - Quick weekend vacations within driving distance, roughly 3 hrs.

Yeah. I would say Philadelphia wins this pretty easily.

Chicago is kind of isolated in its Midwest location. Go 3 hours and someone can go to Wisconsin or Michigan. Minneapolis is a bit further than that and seem like an ok destination. There are some pretty good lakeshore, farm, and nature scenery places not that far away from Chicago.

But Philadelphia does much better in this regard. Just one hour and a half away and you are in New York City which is easily a one day trip. Go one hour the other direction and you are in Washington DC. Go one hour away east and you can reach the Atlantic ocean coastline along New Jersey coastline such as Atlantic City. Two hours north you can reach the Pocono mountain hills nature scenery area.
The southeast side of Chicago touches Hammond, Indiana... You can go on great canoeing/camping trips at Turkey Run State Park in Central Indiana just a couple hours away.

But why only three hours? I think the OP rigged this part towards Philadelphia. You can't even get to Cave-In Rock, Illinois in three hours from Chicago. The Chicago suburbs extend more than one hour away.. Drive for an hour outside of Chicago and you're still in the Chicago area. This is totally rigged.. Saint Louis is about a five hour drive away.

Just throwing that out there. I don't feel like participating in this entire thread. :-)

Last edited by urza216; 07-01-2011 at 09:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 09:57 PM

21,959 posts, read 30,867,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
The southeast side of Chicago touches Hammond, Indiana... You can go on great canoeing/camping trips at Turkey Run State Park in Central Indiana just a couple hours away.

But why only three hours? I think the OP rigged this part towards Philadelphia. You can't even get to Cave-In Rock, Illinois in three hours from Chicago. The Chicago suburbs extend more than one hour away.. Drive for an hour outside of Chicago and you're still in the Chicago area. This is totally rigged.. Saint Louis is about a five hour drive away.

Just throwing that out there. I don't feel like participating in this entire thread. :-)

This I dont understand they are very close on cost so to speak and these were criteria specific to the OP. For example Chicago has a beach DT so beach proximity is setup

And there is a big difference between places 2 hours and 5 hours. I happen to know this individual is seriously considering a couple of locations for relocation and believe is strongly evaluating both of these places.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:44 AM

766 posts, read 1,587,083 times
I think both cities are great. But living in the Philly area, I must admit that I am biased thus I pick Philly. The Philly metro is more beautiful than the Chicago metro because of the topography and the urban set up. I flew over both cities, Southeast Pennsylvania is one of the most beautiful regions in the country, hands down.

Chicago is the bigger city, but I don't think size is really that relevant considering that you are comparing two large and established American cities, one being the third largest and the other being the fifth largest.

Both cities have great dining. For affordable dining, I'd say they are tie. But for upscale dining, I gotta give it to Chicago because that city has so many top notch restaurants, it is one of the three cities in the US that have its own Michelin Guide along with NY and SF.

Philly destroys Chicago in location.

Beaches/waterfront - Chicago easily has the better waterfront. But beaches? I'm not sure because Philly is 2 hrs away from the Jersey Coast. I'd rather have the Jersey Coast 2 hrs away than have Lake Michigan in my metro. And I actually like the long 2 hr drive because we have a reason to escape the city to go somewhere and have a good time. In Chicago, well, you stay in Chicago.

Bang for the buck? I'd say Philly. You don't have to fly anywhere when you can simply drive and Philly is not known for being expensive.

Two great American cities...both with their fair share of pros and cons, but one will enjoy both cities.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:34 AM

Just because you always "fly over" the rest of the Midwest doesn't mean Chicagoans don't have plenty of places to drive and go on vacations.. Turkey Run, Lake Geneva, Indianapolis and Champain Urbana are all within 3 hour drives. Chicago isn't some random diamond in the rough that fell from the sky like some people from the coast seem to think. Chicago grew out of the Midwest. And it would be insane to take a plane ride to Iowa City, Cleveland, Saint Louis or Pretty Lake, Michigan or Kalamazoo, Michigan when you can just drive and be there in less than 6 hours.

Last edited by urza216; 07-02-2011 at 03:50 AM..

Old 07-02-2011, 07:49 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,359,422 times
3 hour drive to Devil's Lake in Wisconsin

Old 07-02-2011, 07:55 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,925,945 times
Philly metro wins because it's in a more interesting part of the country.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:43 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,850,913 times
Philly's location alone makes it the best deal among major cities. You could commute to manhatten from here, DC is an easy day trip, and so on and so forth. Chicago is nice too, but just doesn't have the surroundings Philly has.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Philly's location alone makes it the best deal among major cities. You could commute to manhatten from here, DC is an easy day trip, and so on and so forth. Chicago is nice too, but just doesn't have the surroundings Philly has.
Often times when Chicagoans go on a vacation, it's to get away from the city life - not to visit another urban area. And the truth is we've gained somewhat of a "cocky" reputation in other Midwestern cities (and the way certain people on the coast exclude Chicago from their so-called "fly over territory" doesn't help). We go to Saint Louis and Indianapolis to visit family or old friends but we vacation and visit nobody in Turkey Run or Wisconsin Dells.

That's how it seems to me, anyway..

Last edited by urza216; 07-02-2011 at 04:27 PM..

Old 07-04-2011, 01:27 PM

766 posts, read 1,587,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Often times when Chicagoans go on a vacation, it's to get away from the city life - not to visit another urban area. And the truth is we've gained somewhat of a "cocky" reputation in other Midwestern cities (and the way certain people on the coast exclude Chicago from their so-called "fly over territory" doesn't help). We go to Saint Louis and Indianapolis to visit family or old friends but we vacation and visit nobody in Turkey Run or Wisconsin Dells.

That's how it seems to me, anyway..
Even in that regard, Philly is still the better option. Think about beaches. In Chicago, many flock to the shores of Lake Michigan, but in Philadelphia many drive to the Jersey Coast and enjoy the beach environment there. That's an escape from the city. During the winter, many flock to the Pocono Mountains as winter destination to ski, snowboard or just to relax in a more rural setting. The eastern half of Pennsylvania is so beautiful geographically and has so much history with small and charming colonial towns all over.

Don't think people leave Philly just to visit DC or New York (which are in themselves, awesome places to visit), but there's tons of natural beauty for us to escape the city...from the hills of eastern Pennsylvania to the beaches of Jersey. I live here and people aren't kidding when they say Philly is a great location for all kinds of reasons, from the proximity to other major urban areas to the beautiful geography around (mountains and beaches).

Old 07-06-2011, 12:22 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 963,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
I think both cities are great. But living in the Philly area, I must admit that I am biased thus I pick Philly. The Philly metro is more beautiful than the Chicago metro because of the topography and the urban set up. I flew over both cities, Southeast Pennsylvania is one of the most beautiful regions in the country, hands down.

Chicago is the bigger city, but I don't think size is really that relevant considering that you are comparing two large and established American cities, one being the third largest and the other being the fifth largest.

Both cities have great dining. For affordable dining, I'd say they are tie. But for upscale dining, I gotta give it to Chicago because that city has so many top notch restaurants, it is one of the three cities in the US that have its own Michelin Guide along with NY and SF.

Philly destroys Chicago in location.

Beaches/waterfront - Chicago easily has the better waterfront. But beaches? I'm not sure because Philly is 2 hrs away from the Jersey Coast. I'd rather have the Jersey Coast 2 hrs away than have Lake Michigan in my metro. And I actually like the long 2 hr drive because we have a reason to escape the city to go somewhere and have a good time. In Chicago, well, you stay in Chicago.

Bang for the buck? I'd say Philly. You don't have to fly anywhere when you can simply drive and Philly is not known for being expensive.

Two great American cities...both with their fair share of pros and cons, but one will enjoy both cities.
tmac9wr, you provided good information in post #10 pertaining to rent prices and real estate prices.

Libohove90, I was under the assumption Philadelphia had beaches closer than 2 hours away? I thought Delaware, Maryland and even NJ beaches were closer than 2 hrs away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City