Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 08:15 PM

24 posts, read 55,975 times

Advertisements

Where would you rather live?
Why?

Which would you recommend for a 23 year old licensed massage therapist?
A 23 year old single lesbian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:18 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,772,096 times
Is the single lesbian a massage therapist?

Old 06-30-2011, 10:09 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,758,529 times
If you would like the topic to remain open you're going to need to give a lot more information. What budget range? What type of climate do you prefer? Area recreational options preferred? Need public transit? etc etc etc etc

Old 06-30-2011, 10:14 PM

191 posts, read 213,424 times
I say go to france -.-

Old 06-30-2011, 10:57 PM

24 posts, read 55,975 times
I am aware of all budget, climate, transportation, recreational, and other considerations of each of these cities. In my mind, the three are tied due to each aspect and beyond. I have spent quite a bit of time in each place - exploring, meeting people, etc.
I am having trouble making the definitive choice and would like to hear why others would choose one over the other.

My income is largely from technical writing and ghostwriting, and I can do that from anywhere. I am a LMT, and I do that to supplement my writing work. I can be financially stable in either place without continuing as a massage therapist, but I would like to do more massage work than writing work when I move. Someday I would like to open up my own practice or spa, and stop writing for money altogether. I like creative writing more, but it's hard to do when I spend most of my time doing other writing.

I am drawn to Asheville because of the mountains, definitive four seasons (though winter is way more mild than what I'm used to in Chicago, which is perfect), large holistic health community that would be good for massage business, and large amounts of tourists that could also be good for business. Right now, I am leaning more towards Asheville but that could change tomorrow!

I like Charleston because of the beauty of the city, the ocean, the warmer winters, and the restaurants. I have talked to LMTs there and they say it is a good market due to the wealth of many residents and tourism. I have been warned away from Charleston by my South Carolina family due to the "snobs" that live there. This is also why I haven't visited nearly as much as I have Asheville and Savannah (my family doesn't like to go!)

I have always loved Savannah. I have been visiting my entire life and never doubted that I would like to live there at some point. I am drawn to it because of the beauty, the art, and the proximity to the ocean. I love that it reminds me so much of European cities and I can get lost in that feeling while I'm there. I am not as certain about the market for massage therapy there, and would like to learn more.

Urban Luxury - I have been to France a few times and would love to go back. I have distant family in Lyon and even more in Quebec. I am 100% French and I speak it fluently, so yes, if it were an option I would go.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:25 PM

9,002 posts, read 10,128,559 times
I'm also a massage therapist- I think you've got a calling to be in Savannah. Nothin' wrong with spending a year in each place, kind of getting a feel for what you're looking for, then making your long term plans. Good luck

Old 07-01-2011, 06:16 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,774,892 times
Seems like Asheville is more your speed.

But as far as "snobs" in Charleston go, that's mainly the upper crust locals but there are tons of transplants moving to the area every year, so if you decide to explore the city further, don't let that stop you.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:49 AM

91,974 posts, read 122,044,192 times
What about Saratoga Springs. Close enough for trips to Montreal, is close to the Adirondacks and lakes, has good nightlife, is nicknamed the "Spa City" and more. Compared to other Upstate cities/areas, they don't get as much snow either. I know Albany's Lark Street is known as a gayborhood and is the closest known gayborhood in the area.

Another place that might work is Plattsburgh. It is across Lake Champlain from Burlington VT, is an hour south of Montreal, in recent years it elected an openly gay mayor, is also close to the Adirondacks and has a 4 year college that helps to bring culture to the city. It also has opened a new arts center too. That area has a strong French vibe due to being close to Quebec.

City of Plattsburgh
SUNY Plattsburgh
Plattsburgh North Country Chamber of Commerce
Plattsburgh (city), New York

City of Saratoga Springs
Saratoga County Chamber Of Commerce: The Official Saratoga Springs NY Online Guide!
Visit Saratoga! Racing, Tourism & Travel Guide to Saratoga Springs NY: Find Hotels, Events, Restaurants & Real Estate
Saratoga Springs, New York

Lark Street BID :: Welcome
Lark Street In Albany New York - Restaurants, Shopping, Bars And Galleries
Lark Street

Old 07-01-2011, 12:09 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,274,772 times
Asheville.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:17 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,717,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Seems like Asheville is more your speed.
^^^^This

Here's a recent story about Asheville too the OP might like Asheville's a hotbed for same-sex couples | The Asheville Citizen-Times | citizen-times.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City