U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 01:33 AM

44,633 posts, read 43,151,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleJ View Post
Another match for San Diego, Barcelona maybe?
Or maybe SF would be a better one for that, not sure...
A match for San Francisco would be Lisbon.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:07 PM

22 posts, read 42,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
detroit and rome? How are those similar? Just curious...
ruins.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:25 PM

464 posts, read 949,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown3pa View Post
ruins.
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:26 PM

464 posts, read 949,793 times
I was actually thinking Chicago and Paris. I was also thinking Berlin. When I was in newer parts of Berlin I couldn't help but feel it reminded me of somewhere. Chicago

Old 04-21-2009, 11:36 AM

I have another list of all of possible matches. Foreign cities are in BOLD. . Some US cities might share a match.

Atlanta,GA (Brasilia,Brazil;Berlin,Germany;Warsaw,Poland;Bucha rest,Romania;Iasi,Romania;Chongqing,China;Hiroshim a,Japan;Canberra,Australia)
Baltimore,MD (Glasgow,UK;Dublin,Ireland;Belfast,UK)
Boston,MA (Galway,Ireland;Oxford,UK;Pisa,Italy;Coimbra,Portug al)
Chicago,IL (Paris,France;Berlin,Germany;Warsaw,Poland;Beijing, China;Osaka,Japan;Novosibirsk,Russia)
Cincinnati,OH (Karlsruhe,Germany;Koblenz,Germany;Rome,Italy;Istan bul,Turkey)
Cleveland,OH (Gdansk,Poland;Budapest,Hungary)
Dallas,TX (Caracas,Venezuela;Milan,Italy;Moscow,Russia;Dalian ,China;Chengdu,China)
Denver,CO (La Paz, Bolivia;Madrid,Spain;Zurich,Switzerland;Ulaan Bataar,Mongolia;Urumqi,China;Sapporo,Japan)
Detroit,MI (Tychy,Poland;Kragujevac,Serbia;Tolyatti,Russia;Rig a,Latvia;Toyota,Japan;Johannesburg,South Africa;Moscow,Russia;Liverpool,UK)
Honolulu,HI (Naha,Okinawa;Ponta Delgada,Azores(Portugal) ;Gran Canaria,Canary Islands(Spain) ;Singapore)
Houston,TX (Maracaibo,Venezuela;St. Petersburg,Russia;Antwerp,Belgium;Lagos,Nigeria;Si ngapore;Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia;Dalian,China;Manila,The Philipines;Hanoi,Vietnam)
Kansas City,MO (Paris,France;Rome,Italy; Vienna,Austria;Xi'an, China)
Los Angeles,CA (Mexico City,Mexico;Sao Paulo, Brazil;Barcelona, Spain;Athens,Greece;Rome,Italy;Calcultta,India;Sin gapore)
Miami,FL (Havana,Cuba;Barranquilla,Colombia;lMalaga,Spain;Ma nila,The Philipines;Brisbane,Australia)
Milwaukee,WI (Bremen,Germany;Pilsen,Czech Republic;Gdansk,Poland;Qingdao,China;Sapporo,Japan ;Windhoek,Namibia)
Minneapolis-St.Paul,MN (Helsinki,Finland;Stockholm,Sweden;Harbin,China;Bla goveshchensk,Russia;Heihe,China)
New Orleans,LA (Arles,France;Marseille,France;Port-au-Prince,Haiti;Avignon,France;Koln,Germany;Bucharest ,Romania;Venice,Italy;St. Petersburg,Russia;Amsterdam,The Netherlands;Beirut,Lebanon;Dakar,Senegal;Douala,Ca meroon;Ho Chi Minh City,Vietnam;Manila,The Philipines;Shanghai,China)
New York City,NY (Sao Paulo,Brazil;Paris,France;London,UK;Brussels,Belgi um;The Hague,The Netherlands;Geneva,Switzerland;Kyoto,Japan;Tokyo,J apan;Seoul,South Korea;Sydney,Australia)
Oakland,CA (Marseille,France;Rotterdam,The Netherlands;Yokohama,Japan)
Philadelphia,PA (Berlin,Germany;Rome,Italy;Osaka,Japan;Belgrade,Ser bia)
Phoenix,AZ (Hermosillo,Mexico;Madrid,Spain;Riyadh,Saudi Arabia)
Pittsburgh,PA (Katowice,Poland;Manchester,UK;Novokuznetsk,Russia; Belgrade,Serbia;Zagreb,Croatia)
Portland,OR (Amsterdam,The Netherlands;Budapest,Hungary;Busan,South Korea;Shanghai,China,Khabarovsk,Russia;Hobart,Aust ralia)
St. Louis,MO (Mulhouse,France;Sarajevo,Bosnia;Rome,Italy;Irkutsk ,Russia)
San Diego,CA (Tijuana,Mexico;Valencia,Spain;Catania,Italy;Sevast opol,Ukraine;Tel Aviv,Israel;Limassol,Cyprus;Cape Town, South Africa;Perth,Australia)
San Francisco,CA (Lisbon,Portugal;Hong Kong,China;Shanghai,China;Genoa,Italy;Antibes,Fran ce;Adelaide,Australia)
Seattle,WA (Amsterdam,The Netherlands;Oslo,Norway;Stockholm,Sweden;Reykjavik ,Iceland;Busan,South Korea,Sapporo,Japan)
Washington,DC (Versailles,France;Brussels,Belgium;London,UK;Kyoto ,Japan)

Old 04-23-2009, 08:39 AM

9,823 posts, read 13,574,675 times
New York and Shanghai, London
San Fran and Barcelona? Of the two, Barcelona is prettier, ahs better weather, and better architecture. Both are on the water and have excellent food. San Fran is also somewhat like Valparaiso, perhaps more so than Barcelona.
chicago and toronto is easy, they aren't far from each other. I could see Chicago and Rome. Having been to rome I know it's not dangerous.
Philadelphia in layout and design is the most like London of any American city, IMO, but it's modern day reality has a hefty dose of Napoli.
DC and Paris. both have a French street grid and have numerous monuments as a testament to their imperial power.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
New York and Shanghai, London
San Fran and Barcelona? Of the two, Barcelona is prettier, ahs better weather, and better architecture. Both are on the water and have excellent food. San Fran is also somewhat like Valparaiso, perhaps more so than Barcelona.
chicago and toronto is easy, they aren't far from each other. I could see Chicago and Rome. Having been to rome I know it's not dangerous.
Philadelphia in layout and design is the most like London of any American city, IMO, but it's modern day reality has a hefty dose of Napoli.
DC and Paris. both have a French street grid and have numerous monuments as a testament to their imperial power.
I like those. I am a bit skeptical about SF being like Barcelona.

Philadelphia is a bit like Antwerp,Belgium. I would also compare it to Rome.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:00 PM

San Jose,California - Zelenograd,Russia The "Silicon Valleys" of their respective nation.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:13 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,723,985 times
New York: London, UK
Miami: Caracas, Venezuela
Boston: Glasgow, UK
Washington DC: Paris, France
Houston: Frankfurt, Germany
San Francisco: Sydney, Australia

Old 04-24-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
New York: London, UK
Miami: Caracas, Venezuela
Boston: Glasgow, UK
Washington DC: Paris, France
Houston: Frankfurt, Germany
San Francisco: Sydney, Australia
I like the comparisons for Miami and DC.

How is SF like Sydney?
How is Houston like Frankfurt?

Boston, well I would compare it to Galway,Ireland( Irish influence, festive city).

I would compare Houston to St. Petersburg,Russia(port city, oil and aerospace).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or