U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 10:24 PM

44,560 posts, read 43,091,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I've heard New Orleans being compared to Marseilles, France.

My brother went to Brazil this summer, and he compared Sao Paulo to New York or Los Angeles, and he compared Rio to Miami ("but much bigger and with mountains")

Toronto does put me in mind of Chicago.

What would be the American versions of say, Sydney or Melbourne? I've always heard Sydney compared to San Francisco or Seattle. What about Melbourne?
I would say Melbourne is comparable to Oakland, know for its similar climate and industrial reputation.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:39 PM

240 posts, read 1,078,949 times
Miami = Seoul

Old 11-19-2009, 01:46 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,152,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I would say Melbourne is comparable to Oakland, know for its similar climate and industrial reputation.
Nah, make that Boston or, on a different scale, New York City.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:32 PM

788 posts, read 1,683,782 times
Atlanta and Kaoshiung, Taiwan

Both have similar climate
Both has hosted a global event, Atlanta Olympics Kaoshiung World Game
Similar rapid Transit
Second Largest government city outside of the countries capital
Hish speed rail plains
Central City Light rail loops are planned
Both created in the 1800's
SImilar metro GDP

Old 11-19-2009, 10:25 PM

260 posts, read 650,660 times
Seattle and Stockholm have been compared before

Old 11-20-2009, 08:17 AM

44,560 posts, read 43,091,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefanatic View Post
Seattle and Stockholm have been compared before
They have been compared. Here are some more comparisons from an earlier post. http://www.city-data.com/forum/8446003-post285.html

Old 11-20-2009, 09:12 AM

31,575 posts, read 53,094,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I live in Oakland and have been to Melbourne...and I just don't see it.

They say the weather is similar, but to me Melbourne is really much hotter. Oakland is more comfortable.

Topographically, Melbourne is flat, Oakland has steep hills-Oakland has a waterfront almost totally dedicated to cargo transport, Melbourne has beautiful beaches.

Melbourne is much more forward thinking in its architectural present. Oakland is entrenched with NIMBYs and we struggle to address the needs of our inner city much more so than Melbourne.

Melbourne is much more polished at its downtown-Oakland's Downtown is a work in progress and its evolving into an art mecca and ground zero for the legal marijuana trade in the US.

They are both very diverse and have big asian populations, but I have to give the nod to Oakland because we have black people-Melbourne not so much. Oakland also has no racial majority.

One similarity is that Oakland, like Melbourne, has really great food.

Oakland and Melbourne are both cities where its great to be outside and there is plenty of sunshine in either one.

Melboure frequently ranks as one of the world's most livable cities as well as one of the most liked by visitors.

Oakland, well, is usually not even included in those livablity or travel surveys. LOL

I would still live in Oakland over Melbourne anyday, but would understand completely why someone else wouldnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeographyFreak
Nah, make that Boston or, on a different scale, New York City.
I can see Boston in some aspects. But overall Melbourne is definitely more Californian than Northeastern.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:33 PM

9,583 posts, read 20,456,271 times
I see similarities in the rivalry btw Scotland's 2 largest cities (Glasgow and Edinburgh) and Kentucky's 2 largest (Louisville and Lexington).

Louisville & Glasgow are very similar in size (550,000 city, 1 million + metros). They're also considered to be industrial port cities, both of which quickly added most of their population during industrial boom times while since leveling off in growth. Both also have nice downtown pedestrian mall streets - Buchanan Street in Glasgow and 4th Street in Louisville

Edinburgh and Lexington are the smaller, more 'cultured' capitol cities. (KY's capitol isn't Lexington but is only 20 miles away).

In pictures...

Glasgow

Louisville

Edinburgh

Lexington

Old 11-22-2009, 12:37 AM

633 posts, read 1,222,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I live in Oakland and have been to Melbourne...and I just don't see it.

They say the weather is similar, but to me Melbourne is really much hotter. Oakland is more comfortable.

Topographically, Melbourne is flat, Oakland has steep hills-Oakland has a waterfront almost totally dedicated to cargo transport, Melbourne has beautiful beaches.

Melbourne is much more forward thinking in its architectural present. Oakland is entrenched with NIMBYs and we struggle to address the needs of our inner city much more so than Melbourne.

Melbourne is much more polished at its downtown-Oakland's Downtown is a work in progress and its evolving into an art mecca and ground zero for the legal marijuana trade in the US.

They are both very diverse and have big asian populations, but I have to give the nod to Oakland because we have black people-Melbourne not so much. Oakland also has no racial majority.

One similarity is that Oakland, like Melbourne, has really great food.

Oakland and Melbourne are both cities where its great to be outside and there is plenty of sunshine in either one.

Melboure frequently ranks as one of the world's most livable cities as well as one of the most liked by visitors.

Oakland, well, is usually not even included in those livablity or travel surveys. LOL

I would still live in Oakland over Melbourne anyday, but would understand completely why someone else wouldnt.

I can see Boston in some aspects. But overall Melbourne is definitely more Californian than Northeastern.
Melbourne is CHICAGO.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:33 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,447,324 times
New York & Tokyo
Boston & London
Chicago & Seoul
Seattle & Vancouver
San Francisco & Melbourne
Philadelphia & Amsterdam
Las Vegas & Macau
San Diego & Auckland
Los Angeles & Singapore
Miami & Buenos Aires
Washington DC & Berlin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or