U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 01:18 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,161,694 times

Advertisements

Las Vegas is just more tacky. Why not compare it to Macau instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Las Vegas- Monte Carlo,Monaco( gambling and party place for the rich and famous.)

Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 PM

44,564 posts, read 43,091,728 times
Portland.ME- Halifax,NS(fishing center on the Atlantic).

Key West,FL- Nassau, Bahamas(similar culture)

Old 01-04-2008, 04:39 PM

167 posts, read 154,448 times
Quote:
Portland.ME- Halifax,NS(fishing center on the Atlantic).

Key West,FL- Nassau, Bahamas(similar culture)
I find those way too obvious.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:52 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,589,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Las Vegas is just more tacky. Why not compare it to Macau instead?
you took the words out of my mouth...

Old 01-04-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2eire View Post
I find those way too obvious.
Here is one: Minneapolis-St. Paul - Budapest(Both cities are on a major river and Budapest is really two cities, Buda and Pest, basically mirroring MPLS-STP in that aspect).

Old 01-04-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Here is one: Minneapolis-St. Paul - Budapest(Both cities are on a major river and Budapest is really two cities, Buda and Pest, basically mirroring MPLS-STP in that aspect).
I would think Minneapolis is more like Copenhagen or some other Scandinavian city considering all the immigrants from Scandinavia and the weather. However, you do have a good point there.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:29 PM

537 posts, read 1,669,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
This is a terrible comparison. Simply because Houston is not just an oil city anymore. Second, once upon a time Houston's heat was the cause for little business in the city, but the air conditioner changed all that. Besides, Houston's air is sub-tropical with great weather from late fall to spring.

Houston is also far more cosmopolitan than Dubai. And surely you're not comparing the Middle East to Texas. I'm having problems understanding what you mean about Texas not being "progressive socially and politically".

I am comparing the Middle East to Texas. Both are conservative, religiously fundamental places.

Houston doesn't have oil money anymore? That's news to me. Where did it go? I believe it though, you probably know better than me. In any case though, it doesn't change the fact that Houston is hotter than sweaty moose's balls in the summer. I'm sure Dubai's temperatures are higher, but then again that humidity in Houston is a real bi*ch. Seriously. I can't imagine how anyone would want to settle in someplace as oppressively hot as Houston or New Orleans. During this time of year, it's wonderful but come August it's absolute hell.

_

Old 01-04-2008, 08:21 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,607,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
I am comparing the Middle East to Texas. Both are conservative, religiously fundamental places.
Texas, the Middle East, and Dubai are conservative, religiously fundamental places. Houston is not.

Quote:
Houston doesn't have oil money anymore? That's news to me. Where did it go? I believe it though, you probably know better than me.
The oil money is still here, but that's not the dominant economy in the city. Medicine is.

Quote:
In any case though, it doesn't change the fact that Houston is hotter than sweaty moose's balls in the summer. I'm sure Dubai's temperatures are higher, but then again that humidity in Houston is a real bi*ch. Seriously. I can't imagine how anyone would want to settle in someplace as oppressively hot as Houston or New Orleans. During this time of year, it's wonderful but come August it's absolute hell.
If Houston's heat was as bad as you really believe it is, I highly doubt it would be as populated as it is now.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Texas, the Middle East, and Dubai are conservative, religiously fundamental places. Houston is not.

The oil money is still here, but that's not the dominant economy in the city. Medicine is.

If Houston's heat was as bad as you really believe it is, I highly doubt it would be as populated as it is now.

Here is a comparison for Houston - St. Petersburg,Russia(except for the climate, they're both major seaports built in otherwise swampy areas, oil and aerospace make up important sectors of their economy.)

Old 01-04-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Have you even been to Houston? There's tons of overly religious people there. In my area, there was a church every 4th or 5th block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or