Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is a better place to live?
Orlando, FL 39 54.17%
Las Vegas, NV 33 45.83%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 01:02 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,895,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Wow, you really have no clue about Orlando do you?
To each is own. Personal opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 01:07 PM

908 posts, read 1,820,202 times
Las Vegas, at least there are adult attractions and real night life. Orlando is for minivan parents that want to take their kids to a Disney Vacation.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:25 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,774,892 times
I'd say Orlando. It has a traditional downtown that seems to have a good nightlife scene, so as a local I have that option away from the touristy areas, but I also have the tourist-oriented nightlife if I want it (e.g., Universal Orlando CityWalk). Plus I really love amusement/theme parks. Orlando is close to the beach as well.

Vegas is good for a wild vacation, but I wouldn't actually want to live there 24/7. Orlando seems to provide a better balance between being touristy and livable. At least that's my perspective.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:48 PM

910 posts, read 1,668,351 times
Vegas...no sticky, muggy weather ftw.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:39 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,445,010 times
Orlando, in a landslide.

It just seems like the things that make Las Vegas interesting for a 3-day weekend would get old and tedious really fast. And then, if you want to skip town, forget it. To borrow a line from Ocean's Eleven: "Your're in the middle of the freakin' desert!"

Old 07-08-2011, 05:03 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,508,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
They grew to big-city size mostly because of the playground attractions.

Both places don't have the diversified neighborhoods or the urban vibrancy that many large cities are known for, the Vegas strip is really just a large tourist and entertainment mecca that looks like a large vibrant city but is really quite superficial.

Jobs are mostly low-paying service-level and there are hardly any large industrial or financial institutions based in either place.

Any suburban area can have parks, musuems, schools, banks, malls, restaurants, and grocery stores. Both Orlando and Las Vegas are very suburban-styled in their design and appearance.
You obviously have not visited very many of Orlando OR Las Vegas' neighborhoods. You've been to both places but you never once left the tourist areas did you?

Sure Orlando and Vegas have playground attractions, but the cities themselves where to locals are, those are COMPLETE AND TOTAL sperate enitities, like 2 cities in one almost. At least Orlando has a real downtown business district unlike Vegas

Old 07-08-2011, 05:17 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,895,373 times
Too many minivans and familys of 4 with the name Jones in Orlando. Way too Leave it to Beaver.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:15 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,174,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Thats the thing with me FloridaBorn. I lvied in Orlando from 1995-2001 and again from 2005-2010 and I STILL have yet to experience a good part of Orlando and the rest of FL I always dreamt of seeing

I've never been to South Florida and have always dreamed of going one day. I've never been to the Gulf Coast beaches, I've never been to Key West or Panama City, or Sanibel, etc I could go on. Living in Orlando a majority of that is less than 6 hours away

However I could say the same for Las Vegas. The Grand Canyon, Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, Zion Nat'l Park

I got everything I wanted in Las Vegas. A fun job at a major hotel on the strip, a beautiful apartment, and a wonderful girl. I also fulfilled another travel dream of mine to visit Los Angeles (been there 2x already, gf is from there)

I think I want to come home and experience the rest of Florida that I have always wanted to

Do it Man. I Visted Tampa Wednesday as I usually do and I still am in Love with the place. OF Course Each City in Florida is different as Floridians know but thats the best thing about Florida. We Have. Several Medium/Major Cities to choose from. Nevada? Not So Much. You Can Combine Nevada,New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, and UTAH and still have more medium/major cities with variety living in the State OF Florida. By Medium to Major city I mean a POPULATION of At least 100k.
But I am moving out of Orlando to Tampa Bay/ Gulf Coast ASIC! . At Least Come experience the rest of FLorida, that way it's out your system and you know whether to stay or come back.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:01 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Too many minivans and familys of 4 with the name Jones in Orlando. Way too Leave it to Beaver.
Not really, last names in Orlando in 2011, will probably fall more along the lines of Quinones, or Pierre. Seems how Orlando has a very large Puerto Rican and Haitian population. As far as Orlando's demographics, it's pretty much Miami-Lite, which means Orlando is just filled with a tad bit more whites than Miami, and you actually feel like you're in America, but you still have that rather LARGE Latin-American population. You pretty much have your cake and eat it to in Orlando.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:21 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,816,905 times
Orlando, I guess. Would NEVER live in either though (don't like the oppressive heat or "culture" in either city).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City