Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 09:56 PM

399 posts, read 882,215 times

Advertisements

To be quite honest, I dont compare museum quality between cities. Frankly, im more concerned about just seeing the museums folks.

Keep measuring those peckers.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:57 PM

399 posts, read 882,215 times
It offers friendlier people, a cleaner city and my dollar goes further.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:05 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
LOL. This is by far the one of the most crap claim I have seen in here recently. Even the most dedicated fanboys of Chicago doesn't try to make this claim. I seriously doubt you have been to New York after hearing things. If you did I honestly doubt you went out much at all.

And the same old NYC is is dirty argument. As if Chicago is clean. If your going to troll though please come up something new instead of the same old cliché you probably picked off the Internet. Maybe the North Side is a bit cleaner but the South Side is dirty as hell, a lot more so than just about anywhere in New York. New York now is a lot cleaner city actually. This aint the 70s anymore. Cleanliness is not really all that noticeable though considering it's a city (unless you don't get much out of a suburb or village or those place your whole life), what is noticeable though how easy it to get bored in Chicago when comparing it to NYC. "Everything you could in and NYC and possibly better" lmao. Fact is I would be willing to bet you don't even get half the things in Chicago as you do in NYC. It's actually a very dull of a city in comparison. In fact for a city it's size it's not even all that impressive. It's quite arguable that if not for it's cost of living it would find it hard to compete with quite a few of the other cities like DC, SF, Boston, and Philly.
Chicago and Midwestern cities in general are far cleaner than their Eastern counterparts. Mostly do to the proliferation of alleys. Philly may be filthiest city I've ever been too, New York being a close second.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:58 PM

669 posts, read 914,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC1980 View Post
Wow, where to begin..MANY homegrown New Yorkers ( not transplants and c-d cheerleaders) that have actually been there label Chicago a cheaper, cleaner city. Love how the word "homerism" is thrown around by people that can't deal with the fact that Chicago might actually have a couple of advantages over NYC. Grow up.
Many homegrown New Yorkers call about every city a boring suburb also especially LA and Chicago. Must be true than. Since you seem to be a slave to what they say.

Nobody really denied that Chicago has some advantages over New York. But it's those who support the notion that it's on the same level or that it's even close that are really just fooling with themselves. You seem to be pretty bothered by people accusing you of people accusing you of "homerism" about this since you keep on mentioning it just over and over. Maybe it bothers you so much because there is probably truth to it.

Last edited by yyuusr; 10-12-2013 at 08:08 PM..

Old 10-12-2013, 08:08 PM

669 posts, read 914,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Chicago and Midwestern cities in general are far cleaner than their Eastern counterparts. Mostly do to the proliferation of alleys. Philly may be filthiest city I've ever been too, New York being a close second.
I said this before and I will say it again, the only things Chicago's alleys accomplish is just they make the STORED TRASH less visible. What else would they accomplish? It's not as if alley's have this magic magnet that just pulls all trash to them from the street with telekinesis. It's alleys also doesn't change the fact that it smells worse than a dead fish anytime you walk past them.

Yeah Chicago is cleaner (North Side anyways) than NYC overall. But people treating it as if there is a world of difference between the two considering is really just joking with themselves. Chicago is pretty dirty too for city it's size and activity level.

Last edited by yyuusr; 10-12-2013 at 09:16 PM..

Old 10-12-2013, 11:52 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
I don't think you understood. I believe the poster meant that outside DC, you don't have any other city that has such great museums all next to each other. The Shedd Aquarium, Planetarium, and Field Museum are literally all right next to each other. You have three world class museums next to each other, with the Art Institute very close by. I don't think the poster was saying we have better museums than NYC, just that outside DC you won't find that many world class museums all right next to each other and grouped together like that.
Whoever said that is completely uninformed... Seriously?

Chicago's museums are spread out in comparison to NYC, less prestigious, less of them, smaller in general.

Are you guys serious? Really?

hahahahaha I see the poster now, midwest1 again with one of his corny posts like Chicago is better for skiing b/c it's closer to the Rocky Mountains.

"Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post

And outside of the Smithsonian, no place in the country has quite the cultural/museum heft of the lakefront combo of the Art Institute, the Field Museum, the Adler Planetarium and the Shedd Aquarium."

Yes folks Chicago museums on the lake rival the Smithsonian institute, b/c you know, there are 2 of them and only 1.5 miles apart, also, an aquarium!!! and surely above NYC *face palm* ..not like NYC doesn't have a stretch of 9 in a row lining central park block after block...and scattered all throughout manhattan and the rest of the city... nope, nothing here to see folks, turn on the foosball game.

This guy is like the most delusional booster of all time. I'm really tired of this, but the sheer outlandishness of the posts prompts me to respond like a kid in a candy store.

I can honestly not believe anybody has stepped foot in NYC that even mildly agrees with this guy.

Last edited by grapico; 10-13-2013 at 12:00 AM..

Old 10-13-2013, 06:56 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,370,412 times
Wow....thanks for the obsession. Urban Cheetah was right....I did not intend to say that Chicago has better museums, just that they are better positioned, especially for tourists.

Where in New York is there a combo like the Art Institute, the Field Museum, Aquarium and Planetarium? All four are within walking distance and can be enjoyed by a family in one full day.

And I've stepped foot in NYC dozens of times, yet still I manage to agree with myself....imagine that!

Old 10-13-2013, 07:09 AM

and you do realize I said "outside of the Smithsonian"???

"Yes folks Chicago museums on the lake rival the Smithsonian institute, b/c you know, there are 2 of them and only 1.5 miles apart, also, an aquarium!!! "

Tickled that I manage to agitate such overly sensitive folks such as yourself....so much so that you apparently loose touch with full comprehension of the English language.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:16 AM

In Grant Park

the No 2 Planetarium

Top 10 Planetariums in the United States

no 1. Art Museum (according to people, not snobs)

Best Museums In The U.S.: Art Institute Of Chicago Takes Top Honors In Trip Advisor Reader Poll

one of the Top 5 Aquariums

Top Five Aquariums in the U.S. | USA Today

and the World's Number 2 Dinosaur Museum (natural history)

10 of the world's best dinosaur museums | CNN Travel

All in one park.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:42 AM

555 posts, read 591,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Whoever said that is completely uninformed... Seriously?

Chicago's museums are spread out in comparison to NYC, less prestigious, less of them, smaller in general.

Are you guys serious? Really?

hahahahaha I see the poster now, midwest1 again with one of his corny posts like Chicago is better for skiing b/c it's closer to the Rocky Mountains.

"Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post

And outside of the Smithsonian, no place in the country has quite the cultural/museum heft of the lakefront combo of the Art Institute, the Field Museum, the Adler Planetarium and the Shedd Aquarium."

Yes folks Chicago museums on the lake rival the Smithsonian institute, b/c you know, there are 2 of them and only 1.5 miles apart, also, an aquarium!!! and surely above NYC *face palm* ..not like NYC doesn't have a stretch of 9 in a row lining central park block after block...and scattered all throughout manhattan and the rest of the city... nope, nothing here to see folks, turn on the foosball game.

This guy is like the most delusional booster of all time. I'm really tired of this, but the sheer outlandishness of the posts prompts me to respond like a kid in a candy store.

I can honestly not believe anybody has stepped foot in NYC that even mildly agrees with this guy.
Let's not forget midwest1 when he claimed how "boring is the Atlantic ocean" compared to lake Michigan. LOL

Yes, Chicago definitely takes the prize for the most defensive, most uninformed posters on c-d.

By the way, midwest1, ever heard of a Museum Mile in New York? LOL

LOL. Travel magazine poll.

how about this, the list of most visited museum in the world:
List of most visited art museums in the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let's see about US museums:

The Met - no 2, right after Louvre
National Gallery - no 8
MoMA - no 14
Getty - no 24
FAMSF - no 32
Chicago Museum of Art (AI) - 33
Guggenheim - no 48
Chicago's Field Museum -- not on the list

To summarize: New York at the 2nd, 14th and 48th place. In Chicago only one museum was deemed worthwhile by travelers and at no 33.

Last edited by flotard; 10-13-2013 at 08:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City