Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 07:36 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,042 times

Advertisements

LA makes the existence of SF Bay Area redundant IMO.

Everything that you can do in SF can be done in LA, but the reverse can't be said to be true.

Again, if SF Bay was so great, why doesn't it have 18 million people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 07:54 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,749,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post

Everything that you can do in SF can be done in LA, but the reverse can't be said to be true.

Using your logic NYC makes the existence of every other major city in the Northeast redundant.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:22 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Quote:

Really? That is honestly about the most ridiculous statement I have ever read. Nineties Flava says it best.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:59 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Listen crush this LA and the bay beef. Most Californians up here in NorCal do like LA even though popular perception will write that off. I think the transplants when they move here take this intrastate rivalry more seriously than even the natives, often at times they would be the instigators but that is not to say all transplants are like that.
City Data is one of the few places where native Northern and Southern Californians get along, at least the ones who aren't trolls. In fact, even in this thread, most of the people who are pushing for some sort of rivalry and polemicizing statements are the posters who are not even from California or recently transplanted people to California.

In real life, there really is not that much hostility between NorCal and SoCal, mostly because these areas are large enough in of themselves that people don't really have time to think about a place that is hundreds of miles away.

I mean, as an LA native, I didn't get that much hostility while living in NorCal based from where I was from, aside from a few gentle ribs and of course, my choice of sports teams (GO DODGERS!!!)

An even larger split in California is between Coastal and Inland California. If you're talking about a real cultural change within California, that one really is it. Aside from Sacramento County, a huge chunk of Inland California is almost as conservative as Coastal California is liberal. However, given that Inland California is also not nearly as populated, their voices are a bit more stymied to the rest of the United States.

Unless you really want to argue the merits of living in San Bernardino vs. Stockton, or Riverside vs. Modesto, then have at it. To non-Californians, its a joke. San Bernardino/Stockton and Riverside/Modesto are exactly the same places, just in different parts of the state.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:33 PM

979 posts, read 2,093,468 times
Quote:

This has to be the most RIDICULOUS statement I've EVER read!!!

A city's population does not equate importance. If that was the case, Mexico City/Mumbai is the greatest city in the world.

Also, SF Bay is surrounded by water (hence the word 'Bay'.), mountains, and prestine land which is not conducive for development. That's why the Bay Area's population is stable. But then again you wouldn't understand because you are from sprawlly L.A.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:01 PM

611 posts, read 1,600,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
This has to be the most RIDICULOUS statement I've EVER read!!!

A city's population does not equate importance. If that was the case, Mexico City/Mumbai is the greatest city in the world.

Also, SF Bay is surrounded by water (hence the word 'Bay'.), mountains, and prestine land which is not conducive for development. That's why the Bay Area's population is stable. But then again you wouldn't understand because you are from sprawlly L.A.
He's not from los angeles. All his posts regarding California are bait material to instigate a feud between sf and la.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:23 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
He's not from los angeles. All his posts regarding California are bait material to instigate a feud between sf and la.
That's why we should really debate the merits of living in Stockton vs. San Bernardino.

Really, I think it would be a lot more entertaining at this point, rather than using LA to mean SoCal and SF to mean NorCal.

At the very least, it hasn't been done before, as opposed to comparing LA to SF for the 9000th time.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:10 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
City Data is one of the few places where native Northern and Southern Californians get along, at least the ones who aren't trolls. In fact, even in this thread, most of the people who are pushing for some sort of rivalry and polemicizing statements are the posters who are not even from California or recently transplanted people to California.
Exactly
Quote:
In real life, there really is not that much hostility between NorCal and SoCal, mostly because these areas are large enough in of themselves that people don't really have time to think about a place that is hundreds of miles away.
I agree, these places are two large to be thinking of one another. Most people I know here enjoy getting away to see LA every once in a while. LA and the bay have a connection that only NYC and Miami seem to understand. LA to the bay has the most scheduled flights and seating capacity per day. Any hostility is overplayed, historically it was the transfer of power from NorCal to SoCal which led to the little brother syndrome but its subsided both areas acknowledge and respect the prominence of the other.
Quote:
I mean, as an LA native, I didn't get that much hostility while living in NorCal based from where I was from, aside from a few gentle ribs and of course, my choice of sports teams (GO DODGERS!!!)
Boo

GIANTS!!
Quote:
An even larger split in California is between Coastal and Inland California. If you're talking about a real cultural change within California, that one really is it. Aside from Sacramento County, a huge chunk of Inland California is almost as conservative as Coastal California is liberal. However, given that Inland California is also not nearly as populated, their voices are a bit more stymied to the rest of the United States.
I agree coastal California is more united now than ever, culturally you can argue we have more in common than we do in difference of course subtracting the obvious beach and lifestyle cultures, we're not all to different from one another.
Quote:
Unless you really want to argue the merits of living in San Bernardino vs. Stockton, or Riverside vs. Modesto, then have at it. To non-Californians, its a joke. San Bernardino/Stockton and Riverside/Modesto are exactly the same places, just in different parts of the state.
They are coincidentally similar on lifestyle, employment options, health factors, and even commute times.

Sacramento is to the bay as San Diego is to LA. Modesto is to the bay as Riverside is to LA. Santa Rosa is to the bay as Thousands Oaks is to LA. Stockton is to the bay as San Bernardino is to LA. Monterrey bay area is to the bay as Santa Barbara is to LA. SLO is the grey area, the meeting point, and the true central territory. Sonoma or Antioch are to the bay as Lancaster or Palmdale are to LA. Fresno is to NorCal as Bakersfield is to SoCal. Reno is to the bay as Vegas is to LA.

California as a whole is becoming more united. There was a point 20 years ago where coastal SoCal and NorCal were very different from one another, its been fading away and they have more in common with one another now than ever before politics, lifestyle, popular opinions, how and where we choose to live. For now inland California is more different but I suspect even that difference will eventually fade away one day.

I love home.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:45 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,222 times
Quote:

You really hate San Fran. You go on every thread bashing it. I personaly love both cities and metros and would be happy living in either.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:47 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,782,504 times
Quite frankly, I'm surprised California can hold both metros, given the amount of egocentric local residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City