Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Urban College Neighborhood
Cambridge (Boston) 23 17.97%
Greenwich Village (New York City) 15 11.72%
Upper West Side (New York City) 2 1.56%
University City (Philadelphia) 19 14.84%
Oakland (Pittsburgh) 11 8.59%
OSU University District (Columbus) 8 6.25%
Georgetown (Washington, DC) 13 10.16%
Westwood (Los Angeles) 3 2.34%
UW University District (Seattle) 7 5.47%
Other (Urban Neighborhood) 20 15.63%
Other (Suburban / College Town) 7 5.47%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 10:14 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I find foggy bottom more urban than Georgetown in DC. That's Ke though.
It is most definitely is. Really Georgetown is not even in an urban neighborhood since it has its own closed off campus. It is in the neighborhood of Georgetown but it is walled off and a student does not need to walk in the urban area to get around to class etc.. Even the area directly near the walls are not really urban just homes.

GW is right in the middle of the city, the campus is part of the city. Has its own Metro stop, walking distance to National Mall, White House, Dupont and many other areas. So I also consider Foggy Bottom home of George Washington University a better urban location and one of the best in the country if not the best because it is such a great mix of college campus and city. Another great area is UPENN I was there recently and it seemed like an awesome area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 08:02 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
It is most definitely is. Really Georgetown is not even in an urban neighborhood since it has its own closed off campus. It is in the neighborhood of Georgetown but it is walled off and a student does not need to walk in the urban area to get around to class etc.. Even the area directly near the walls are not really urban just homes.
That was my argument against Georgetown. It's not really close to the heart of the neighborhood or the primary thoroughfares (M and Wisconsin).

Old 07-08-2011, 08:32 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Yeah I worked at the gtown hospital for a year. The campus is really is only urban on the easy side of the campus as it blends in with the neighborhood.the rest of the campus gives you a feel that you're not even in a city anymore. GWU is different. It's very walkable, dense, vibrant, and easier to get too. I like gtown, but it is being overrated on this thread as far as this topic go.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:56 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times
Of the five that I'm familiar with Georgetown, UWS, The Village, Oakland, and University City

I have to give the Oakland and G-Town the nods for best balance of Collegetown and Urbanity.

But I love me some Oakland

Old 07-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 4 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times
All tied for 1st place.

-Georgetown Washington DC
-Upper West Side: NYC
-University District Seattle
-University City Philadelphia

I am sure there are some urban college neighborhoods in the USA that might be equally as great as those three I mentioned./

Old 08-21-2016, 08:15 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
isn't Cambridge a suburb of Boston? So, it wouldn't count either.

What about Detroit's University District? UDCAonline: Home

University District, Detroit
Another Detroit neighborhood that would work is Midtown, which has Wayne State University. Midtown Detroit Inc. | Where life is art

https://wayne.edu

Old 08-21-2016, 08:42 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,166,163 times
I think University City/The Delmar Loop in St. Louis (Washington University) and University Circle/Uptown in Cleveland (Case Western Reserve University) are both worth a mention. And maybe the areas around Johns Hopkins in Baltimore and the University of Louisville qualify too? Can't say much about those because I haven't been to those two.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:02 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
UT-Austin, Georgia Tech, Wash U in STL, along with St. Louis University, HOWARD U in DC, and yes University City in Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City