Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city dominates?
chicago 118 64.48%
san francisco 65 35.52%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 02:58 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,438 times

Advertisements

Col: Chicago.
Qol: Tie. I can live a better lifestyle in Chicgo since COL is lower, but i prefer the surroundings of SF
Culture: Tie
food: Tie. Chicago has better technique in its restaurants.
San Fran has fresh produce but almost afraid to do anything to it. SF better asian offerings, seafood. Chicago better Steakhouses, dogs/burgers/sandwiches, fine dining.
Cbd: Chicago
Transit: Chicago
Skyline: Chicago - Better buildings, architecture, layout trumps SF setting and GG bridge.
Economy: SF, since im in IT. Wish i could get into the Zynga IPO
Pace of life: Tie
Water/beaches: Chicago.
Access to other cities: Chicago, major airline hub hub with direct flights almost anywhere in US.
Anything else:
+ for Chicago: sports,family friendly,cleaner + for SF: quirkiness, street level views of the city,

Overall with my situation, will choose Chicago.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:40 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,782,252 times
Quote:
Economy wise, Chicago is in the rear view mirror of SF Bay Area in terms of overall GDP output.
You sure about that?

Old 07-13-2011, 02:14 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
I love Chicago but San Francisco is my favorite north american city. I love its compact size, interesting hoods, unique architecture, beautiful Golden Gate Bridge, Chinatown, nightlife, charm, hills, great restaurants, shopping, Golden Gate Park, cable cars, street cars, Coit Tower, the not so humid weather, mild winters, Sears for breakfast(not sears and roebucks), Fisherman's Wharf, boat rides on the bay, wine country, Cliff House.....................

Old 07-13-2011, 11:41 AM

857 posts, read 1,365,640 times
I've never been to either but I'd want to go to Chicago first, but would also love to visit SF.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:07 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Col: Chicago
Qol: Tie
Culture: Chicago, by quite a margin (museums, music, theater, etc.) It's not very close.
food: Chicago by a nose. along with NYC, these are the top restaurant cities in the U.S.
Cbd: Chicago by a wide margin but SF is quite good.
Transit: Chicago
Skyline: Chicago
Economy: probably a tie
Pace of life: San Francisco is more laid back, Chicago is more fast-paced. Depends on preference.
Water/beaches: San Francisco but it is close
Access to other cities: Chicago by a margin
Anything else:

Sports: Chicago but SF is no slouch
Business innovation: SF by a nose
Global reach: Chicago
Architecture: Chicago
History: Chicago, but only slightly
Weather: SF, but neither are good.
Recreation: SF by a margin
Day trips: SF by a margin

Both cities are great. Only negatives really are weather, Chicago (crime), and the fact that SF is sitting on a major fault.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:33 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollster31 View Post
what kind of joke is this? chicago is 4 times the size of sf, and nearly 100x the city. and in real life
People get so bent out of shape by SFs shine.

LOL

Quote:
people only go to chicago and sf alone, so no, the bay area isnt included.
No, you speak for yourself as to what is what is not included. You seem to be saying that Chicagoland is a huge wasteland of boring nothingness outside of Chicago's city limits but the Bay Area's realm is far interesting and so people actually do venture outside of our city to places like the Napa Valley, Silicon Valley, Santa Cruz, the Marin Headlands and so on.

No need to be butthurt about it, like I've said time after time, cities and their regions are NOT created equally.

Im sorry but that's life.

Quote:
call me when sf gets a place like the loop or the miracle mile.
Call me when the Sears Tower finally reaches a market value of $1 Billion like SFs Bank of America building or Embarcadero Center, or Transamerica Pyramid, in the meantime *yawns*

Quote:
and yes, chicago msa has a larger gdp than sf msa. thats a fact.
Here's another fact:

2009 Gross Domestic Product
4. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA $535.327 Billion
5. Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI CSA $515.119 Billion

Old 07-13-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

LOL

No, you speak for yourself as to what is what is not included. You seem to be saying that Chicagoland is a huge wasteland of boring nothingness outside of Chicago's city limits but the Bay Area's realm is far interesting and so people actually do venture outside of our city to places like the Napa Valley, Silicon Valley, Santa Cruz, the Marin Headlands and so on.

No need to be butthurt about it, like I've said time after time, cities and their regions are NOT created equally.

Call me when the Sears Tower finally reaches a market value of $1 Billion like SFs Bank of America building or Embarcadero Center, or Transamerica Pyramid, in the meantime *yawns*

Here's another fact:

you are the biggest homer on this board.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:41 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
you are the biggest homer on this board.
I feel so humbled by this honor.

Just sayin', dont start nothing, wont be nothing.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18montclair View Post
i feel so humbled by this honor.

Just sayin', dont start nothing, wont be nothing.
lol. Ok.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:13 PM

161 posts, read 182,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

LOL

Here's another fact:

yeah, most people in this thread disagree. chicago is plainly the better city. why even go west of the mississippi if everything urban (this is city data, not country gardening or surfing data) is in the northeast and midwest?

any really, the only reason why sj is even that high is bc of san jose. without the city of san jose, sf would be irrelevant. try fighting it out with other medium sized places like detroit, seattle, or phoenix first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City