Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:02 PM

491 posts, read 885,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggymom View Post
Pittsburgh-people have this idea of the city that is approximately 20-40 years out of date.
Agree. Pittsburgh has really cleaned itself up in the last 25 years. I was there a couple of years ago and was astounded at how beautiful it is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 03:29 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
-Country Music is everywhere! And I hate Country Music...
-Too conservative/religious/churchy
-Redneck/Hillbilly/<insert Southern white stereotype here>

and a host of other brilliantly outdated stereotypes.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:39 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
^^That is definitely true of Nashville, at least the more urban parts. But when you get into the surrounding areas the stereotypes start looking a little more realistic. Certainly not 100% or even 90%, but pretty close. Maybe it seems that way to me because my line of work tends to put me in contact almost exclusively with the stereotypical southerner.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:43 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Maybe it seems that way to me because my line of work tends to put me in contact almost exclusively with the stereotypical southerner.
Meth dealer?

Old 07-12-2011, 11:31 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,015 times
Montana - it's cold and has a lot of whackjobs. Both of these are true but I love it anyway.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:09 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggymom View Post
Pittsburgh-people have this idea of the city that is approximately 20-40 years out of date.
Rival sports fans are the worst of all. They take it to another level, accusing Pittsburgh sports fans of practicing incest. Yeah, we get it; your genetic code is superior simply because you live on flatter land at a lower elevation. Get over yourselves.

Stupidity like that makes me happy that at least one Pittsburgh sports team has mind****ed those people at some point in their lives. Only Boston, New York and Los Angeles have won more professional sports championships since 1960 than Pittsburgh has. That's what they get for injecting wild accusations into their vitriol about matters which a) do not concern them, b) have nothing to do with sports, and c) aren't even true in the first place.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:35 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I'm from Long Island, NY and many outsiders assume that we're all rich and snobby.
lol When I think of Long Island I think of suburbanites with accents. Some have a little money, some blue collar. I think of it as the suburbs of NYC, kinda...

Old 07-13-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Hmmm...with Los Angeles, where to start. Type in "LA" or "Los Angeles" into the search bar up above, and see the berating begin! Here's a short list:

-Everyone in LA is a Mexican illegal immigrant and looks like a huge Mexican barrio (Protip: name ONE place in Mexico that physically looks like LA in terms of development...can't think of one, can you?)
-Everyone in LA is somehow affiliated with Hollywood
-Everyone in LA is rude
-LA is full of smog
-LA is full of arrogant and ignorant people
-LA is just the beach, then the desert.

In short, everything in LA is sort of brown, from the people, to the landscape, to right down the air we breathe.

Luckily, I see this sort of ignorance more on the internet more than in person.
I've learned a lot about LA since my childhood friend Becky moved there with her hubby and daughter a few years ago. She started posting pics on Facebook. First of all, it's not a horrible place to raise a child, from what it looks like. I suppose it has it's share of crappy schools, but my friend's daughter seems to enjoy her school. She's also involved in activities such as hip-hop dance class, soccer, etc. It's greener than I thought. Maybe not as green as Wisconsin, but it has it's beautiful areas. The landscape near where her daughter plays soccer is gorgeous.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
People think Minneapolis has no culture, is perpetually frozen, and is only populated by white people. They also think it is a brand new sunbelt style city; they don't seem to realize that it has been one of the top 15 metros for over a century.
That's ridiculous. It has one of the most impressive arts scenes of any major city in the country. Esp. for a smallish metro. Just ask my friend, who lives over there and is a upcycle fashion designer/window decorator/nurse.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:45 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
"Boston is racist"

Most of the stereotypes about Boston are fairly positive or at least neutral. Except for one, both on this website and in real life, there is overwhelming belief that Boston is a particulrly racist city. Now, it isn't completely untrue. All cities have racist people, Boston is no exception. It is also reasonably segregated although increasingly less so. However, it is not like Boston is any more racist than other major US cities. I think this reputation is due a few things:

1. Forced Bussing- This provoked a lot of black-white tension and violence in the 70s and prompted most white people to move or send their kids to private school. It was a very poorly run program and hurt both poor white and poor black communities while the wealthy white neighborhoods who sent their kids to private school were largely unaffected (not to mention the suburbs). It left an unfortunate mark on the city and effected the period through the 80s and 90s, but now the school system has totally changed since then and the old working-class white neighborhoods are gentrified.

2. The Boston area has a much higher white percentage than other major US cities. And despite being a verrry liberal city, it it doesn't quite do "PC" like other white cities like Portland, OR. Boston's image as "racist" is pretty confined to white/black relations I think, but I don't even agree with this. I have heard from black folks from other cities that Boston is racist but it seems to mostly be because they didn't see a lot of black people on the street. I don't think a city should be labeled as racist because it has less of a particular population that most other cities in the country.

3. People in New England can be "provincial" and wary of outsiders, and this can be mistaken for racism in some cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City