Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 02:19 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times

Advertisements

where do i begin.....................................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 08:17 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggymom View Post
Pittsburgh-people have this idea of the city that is approximately 20-40 years out of date.
Pretty much the same goes for Houston.
They also often assume it's dirtier, less progressive, and less diverse than it actually is. Visitors who actually get off the freeways are often surprised to see a relatively clean, vibrant city, with lots of trees, modern shiny buildings, and great museums and restaurants.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:48 AM

396 posts, read 906,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Hmmm...with Los Angeles, where to start. Type in "LA" or "Los Angeles" into the search bar up above, and see the berating begin! Here's a short list:

-Everyone in LA is a Mexican illegal immigrant and looks like a huge Mexican barrio (Protip: name ONE place in Mexico that physically looks like LA in terms of development...can't think of one, can you?)
-Everyone in LA is somehow affiliated with Hollywood
-Everyone in LA is rude
-LA is full of smog
-LA is full of arrogant and ignorant people
-LA is just the beach, then the desert.

In short, everything in LA is sort of brown, from the people, to the landscape, to right down the air we breathe.

Luckily, I see this sort of ignorance more on the internet more than in person.
You forgot

-Everyone is in a gang and it's the most dangerous place in the world

Old 07-15-2011, 04:44 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Pretty much the same goes for Houston.
They also often assume it's dirtier, less progressive, and less diverse than it actually is. Visitors who actually get off the freeways are often surprised to see a relatively clean, vibrant city, with lots of trees, modern shiny buildings, and great museums and restaurants.
Exactly What you said!

Old 07-15-2011, 09:01 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
some people on here like to bash philadelphia as if it was 1975. The city has changed a lot since then, and today has one of the best downtowns in the country, top universities and hospitals, culture, shopping, dining, and has one of the wealthiest and most established and stable metropolitan areas in the country.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:02 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
its a cesspool

Old 07-15-2011, 09:07 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
If you live anywhere in the southeast, including my city:

how bad is the racism there?

Old 07-15-2011, 09:24 PM

77 posts, read 199,796 times
I know that people are speaking of cities, but the stereotype of Iowa is that its ENTIRELY WHITE, flat, and people walk on dirt roads barefooted with a wheat stem in their mouths. The fact of the matter is that there are within the 3,000,000 people of Iowa, roughly 200,000 Latinos, 115,000 blacks (my family and friends in Mississippi and elsewhere are stunned that I am not one of only 7 blacks living in the state...lol), one of the three largest Sudanese populations in the nation, a black community in Waterloo that's the largest (percentage-wise) in Iowa (15%), with rich roots stemming to World War I, and a city and metro in Des Moines-Ames that is coming up quickly on "best" lists for jobs, housing affordability, educational options, and business diversification. And did I mention three fine universities, nationally renowned in various fields (Iowa: Medicine and Business/Iowa State: Sciences and Mathematics/Northern Iowa: Business and Education)

Also, THIS STATE IS FAR FROM FLAT!! Yes, there are flat areas, but drive along the eastern and western portions of the state, and you will definitely run into very hilly terrain. In fact, my hometown of Davenport resembles a smaller version of Cincinnati, with steep hills, and spectacular views of the Mississippi River, and Illinois. (also hilly...well, Western Illinois) I just wish we had the seven hills that Cincy has.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:34 PM

77 posts, read 199,796 times
Reading various posts, I truly have come to the conclusion that the panacea for eliminating various prejudices that we all possess is the ability to travel and to turn to the internet and chat about these things. I haven't visited most of the cities that I read about on CD, but the site---and the members of CD---teach me something new everyday. Thank you.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:44 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
where do i begin.....................................
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City