Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 09:19 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Hills, architecture, views, surrounding water, mountains, forests, dense craftsman houses, mansions overlooking huge vistas... Seattle is more dramatic. I'd be interested in someone offering photos of both cities to give a better example to this.
Yeah this...

also stuff like this seems much closer

ethz.ch

I'm including general metro area.

It just seems if you want serious breathtaking nature then Seattle is a better bet.

Last edited by grapico; 03-07-2014 at 09:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 09:53 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,627,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah this...

also stuff like this seems much closer

ethz.ch

I'm including general metro area.

It just seems if you want serious breathtaking nature then Seattle is a better bet.
Wery scenic places can be found just outside of Portland's metro too!

The Columbia River Gorge looks amazing!
http://www.concierge.com/images/dest...tland_020p.jpg

Old 03-07-2014, 09:58 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times
Well yeah of course, just from what I've seen places around Seattle's vicinity are more dramatic. I mean Mt. Rainier alone has the highest mountain prominence in the continental United States.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:31 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,854,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I find this comparison interesting.

Here's what Google images returns for each city + waterfront:

Seattle

Portland

Certainly Seattle's is much larger and more "urban" and features more architecture. But ... it's really not all that pretty. And where's the "nature?"

But as for the residential areas ... Seattle and Portland are pretty interchangeable. Puget Sound is without a doubt gorgeous. But Seattle, as a whole, does not "blow Portland out of the water."
Seattle is currently building a world class waterfront aimed to rival Vancouver BC and Sydney, so you don't have to worry about that matter.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:09 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,085,628 times
Vancouver has a world class waterfront? Since when?

Granted, it doesn't have a lovely freeway like Seattle, but is there even a tree on it? Buildings right down to the waterfront is the way it seemed to me. And don't worry ... I don't even think about Seattle much. I'm happy for them if they're really going to do something to make the waterfront look less like a seedy fishing pier.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:58 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,854,575 times
Quote:
Vancouver has a world class waterfront? Since when?

Granted, it doesn't have a lovely freeway like Seattle, but is there even a tree on it? Buildings right down to the waterfront is the way it seemed to me. And don't worry ... I don't even think about Seattle much. I'm happy for them if they're really going to do something to make the waterfront look less like a seedy fishing pier.
A "seedy fishing pier"? Yeah... you don't sound informed about Seattle at all.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
A "seedy fishing pier"? Yeah... you don't sound informed about Seattle at all.
Why, because you don't agree with me? I don't need to be "informed" about Seattle, as I've spent quite a lot of time there, so yeah, I know it. Have family who lives there.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:19 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,809,115 times
Quote:
Why, because you don't agree with me? I don't need to be "informed" about Seattle, as I've spent quite a lot of time there, so yeah, I know it. Have family who lives there.
The Cruise Ship Terminal , tweny story ferris wheel, Aquarium, hotels, shops and dinning seem kind of cheasy or touristy now but Ive never seen a fishing pier on the Seattle Waterfront? I know the new Seattle Waterfront will be Grand A 250million dollar expansion of the Seattle Aquarium, A 65 million dollar expansion of Pike Place Market, A wave Pool all in a 24 block two mile park. Its costing over a billion dollars to build.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
The Cruise Ship Terminal , tweny story ferris wheel, Aquarium, hotels, shops and dinning seem kind of cheasy or touristy now but Ive never seen a fishing pier on the Seattle Waterfront? I know the new Seattle Waterfront will be Grand A 250million dollar expansion of the Seattle Aquarium, A 65 million dollar expansion of Pike Place Market, A wave Pool all in a 24 block two mile park. Its costing over a billion dollars to build.
Do you understand what it means when someone says something "looks like?" It doesn't mean IS. It means "looks like."

But that cheasy dinning sure sounds unique.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:52 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,809,115 times
Quote:
Do you understand what it means when someone says something "looks like?" It doesn't mean IS. It means "looks like."

But that cheasy dinning sure sounds unique.
So what looks like the fishing pier ? Is it because the cruise ships look like fishing trawlers at the cruise ship terminal. Im just not understanding what your seeing that looks like a fishing pier . The piers are all parks or shopping and dinning. The only marina directly downtown is at the cruise ship terminal and its filled with yaughts. Seattle's waterfront is nice its just going grand . There is nice dinning also already Like Anthony's and Ivars I was just refering to the Red Robin and the little fish & chip shacks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City