U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:31 PM

180 posts, read 346,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Washington, D.C./Baltimore = San Francisco/San Jose

This is easily the closest comparison.
Yea I agree with this. Mainly because you see people living in one and working in the other.

But also - Minneapolis/St. Paul of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 12:33 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,183,915 times
Miami/Fort Lauderdale from my narrow viewpoint.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:34 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,183,915 times
Oh definitely Tampa St. Pete too...just looked back and saw that!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:24 PM

342 posts, read 807,614 times
I say Philly NY!!

Baltimore GREAT CITY just doesn't have the same influence as D.C., I mean its the nations capital. But still doesn't take away from the fact its a great place, just like Philly/NY!!!!

NOW in no way am i comparing D.C. to NY please dont start flipping out!! Just using as an example!!!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:44 PM

285 posts, read 565,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
As long as you don't bring up government spending, I am referring to the fact that these two metro's are night and day from each other but they are right next to each other. I was asking if there is another example of two cities that don't really like each other and are culturally two different places but are physically a few miles away.
I think some of you (more on the last page) seem to have missed the OP's second post. It is not about commuting patterns and media markets. I would say San Fran and Oakland; SF is wealthy, looks down on Oakland, and much safer than Oakland. Possibly Detroit and Ann Arbor (though I am aware the size difference is much greater) with AA looking at Detroit the way DC looks at Baltimore.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:33 AM

345 posts, read 725,414 times
Boston and Providence, followed by San Francisco-Oakland.

Boston and Providence are both their separate cities with their own historical identities. It's just that their metro areas are starting to run into eachother. I understand that Boston is much larger, but still the resemblence is there.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:15 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,254,997 times
The dynamic between Baltimore and DC & SF and Oakland is similar. Like DC, San Francisco is the prettier, more gentrified wealthier hub of the world class city and Oakland, like Baltimore, carries the reputation of being the rougher more ghetto satellite city. However, just like DC, SF has its rough ghetto areas like any other city. Uniformed people think San Francisco has no crime and all of the crime and ghetto in the Bay Area is focused within Oakland; which is not true. The worst parts of San Francisco, like Hunter's Point, are historically statistically worse in every way than the worst parts of Oakland. However, the tremendous wealth in SF offsets the extreme poverty, violence and crime in the ghetto pockets of the city that aren't talked about in the national media. The differences between SF and Oakland are somewhat exaggerated by the media because SF wants as much tourist dollars as it can get and doesn't want people from outside the Bay to even visit Oakland. If SF and Oakland really were that adverse to one another, BART wouldn't even exist. Baltimore and DC also look completely different. In terms of housing, SF and Oakland do not look all the different in many areas. It is just that SF is much more dynamic because of its unique topography and that SF is much more urbanized than Oakland. However, SF and Oakland are somewhat more culturally unified than DC and Baltimore. The local music in DC and Baltimore is completely different. DC has Go-Go and Baltimore has Club music. Ghetto culture is pretty much the same in San Francisco and Oakland although the popular mid 2000's Bay Area Hyphy movement in Rap music was much more centered in the East Bay. People from DC hate Baltimoreans and vice versa. This is not always the case in SF and Oakland outside of sports. SF and Oakland have more of a Manhattan and Brooklyn relationship because they are so close geographically. After all, Bay Area locals call SF "The City" and they call Oakland "The Town" in the same breath. Baltimore and DC are about an hour and a fifteen minutes apart. San Francisco and Oakland are separated by a bridge and you can hop on the BART in SF and be in Oakland in ten minutes depending on where you are in SF.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 03-18-2012 at 12:24 AM..

Old 03-18-2012, 12:26 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,328,202 times
Los Angeles and San Diego perhaps? Dallas and Fort Worth? Miami and Fort Lauderdale?

Old 03-18-2012, 03:17 AM

7,895 posts, read 6,470,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Los Angeles and San Diego perhaps? Dallas and Fort Worth? Miami and Fort Lauderdale?
I'd say NYC/Philly. When I'm in DC it feels like I'm out of town, the same as it does when I go to Philly.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:08 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,064,763 times
A scaled down version of NYC/Philly. One is overshadowed by the capital of the nation and the other is overshadowed by the capital of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or