U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 10:12 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,350,178 times

Advertisements

If DC is southern, its not adopting the positive aspects of southern culture. We love a good outdoor cafe, true. Ladies like their capris and sandals year round and we love to pretend we are old money. But I don't see it. Anyone that has ever been late in this city knows we are all Yankee when it comes to getting things done. Schedules, traffic, overbooking, teleconferences while driving to and from engagements, "my house only cost 800K! It was originally listed at 1.3 mil, but we had cash" (overheard during playgroup with a klatsch of supermoms and their disgruntled nannies), intense career ambition and the huge number of transplants from all over the world override any southern influence that may struggle to survive. True, DC is the southernmost city of the northeast corridor, but when I go to Savannah, New Orleans, or Jackson, there is no comparison. Sorry guys. Different way of life. Don't let the summer humidity fool you-- you are still expected to wear a suit and tie to that meeting.

I agree with Boston-Providence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 11:33 AM

860 posts, read 1,148,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
LOL Right! Dudes that wear capri's and perculate to club music is southern.
I dont get it? Is that some southern DC humor? Why would you be offended that you guys sound and have southern culture? that wasnt a diss. Get out of your feelings.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:44 AM

7,899 posts, read 6,487,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
I dont get it? Is that some southern DC humor? Why would you be offended that you guys sound and have southern culture? that wasnt a diss. Get out of your feelings.
He's talking about Philly and Baltimore.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:52 PM

2,363 posts, read 4,511,990 times
Tampa St. Pete

San Fransisco Oakland

Old 03-24-2012, 11:28 AM

3,219 posts, read 8,115,148 times
San Antonio-Austin

Old 03-24-2012, 11:32 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,332,530 times
Chicago and Milwaukee comes to mind. I would think if Chicago weren't so close by Milwaukee might actually be a bigger city.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
If DC is southern, its not adopting the positive aspects of southern culture. We love a good outdoor cafe, true. Ladies like their capris and sandals year round and we love to pretend we are old money. But I don't see it. Anyone that has ever been late in this city knows we are all Yankee when it comes to getting things done. Schedules, traffic, overbooking, teleconferences while driving to and from engagements, "my house only cost 800K! It was originally listed at 1.3 mil, but we had cash" (overheard during playgroup with a klatsch of supermoms and their disgruntled nannies), intense career ambition and the huge number of transplants from all over the world override any southern influence that may struggle to survive. True, DC is the southernmost city of the northeast corridor, but when I go to Savannah, New Orleans, or Jackson, there is no comparison. Sorry guys. Different way of life. Don't let the summer humidity fool you-- you are still expected to wear a suit and tie to that meeting.

I agree with Boston-Providence.
That summer humidity really doesn't apply just to the south...there are places in the Midwest capable of being as hot and humid as DC in the summer (Des Moines, Omaha, KC, STL, Cincy, etc.) And New York City can get pretty damn hot and humid in the summer too. D.C. also is capable of getting bad winters, so that offsets from the rest of the south. D.C. gets a healthy does of all four seasons.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
They're offended because they don't have southern culture and don't sound southern. Get out of your feelings and get with the facts.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:55 AM

24,386 posts, read 34,428,010 times
Would Louisville and either Lexington or Cincinnati, be viable examples here?

Old 03-24-2012, 12:16 PM

860 posts, read 1,148,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
They're offended because they don't have southern culture and don't sound southern. Get out of your feelings and get with the facts.
You seem mad, stay that way. Doesn't really matter to me, I'm just saying what it is. You will just have to deal kiddo. Moving on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or