Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 01:22 PM

450 posts, read 1,406,688 times

Advertisements

I know people who went on vacation just to avoid this. The media, city officials, government, etc.... have been talking about it NONSTOP. The media literally went crazy on this and I guess it became national news. So far this weekend has been the best for driving in recent history. The traffic is moving SO FAST. Almost all freeways are green.

They had these signs all over California, as far north as FRESNO (several hundred miles away)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 01:52 PM

686 posts, read 1,167,319 times
If you have a good highway system that compliments your street grid like houston does out shouldn't be much of an issue.... You can always find an alternative route whether it's another highway our major street. Houston is almost there, I wish they go ahead and turn telephone road into a highway or road and that would do wonders to alleviate traffic from pearland/288 and clear lake/45

Old 07-16-2011, 02:36 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Why will the shut down of 405 in Los Angeles be any different from a total shutdown of a stretch of highway in any other major city? Would it be a Carmegeddon if 10 miles of highway was shutdown in New York City, Chicago, Houston or Philadelphia? How do other cities manage to get through total freeway shutdowns without it turning into a Carmegeddon?
Lol just imagine if they shut down 610 in Houston.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:46 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
What if they shutdown Interstate 635 in Dallas. It would be a disaster!

Old 07-16-2011, 02:55 PM

686 posts, read 1,167,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Lol just imagine if they shut down 610 in Houston.
It would be an issue, but not a carmegeddon... There are so many major streets that run that can get you where you need to be.. For example, Westheimer, Memorial, Richmond all extend from downtown area to the west well past the 610 loop....then you have airport, belfort, tidwell, little york.etc., outside the loop that can run rest to west....combine that with the north to south connectors such as Almeda, Main/90, cullen, lockwood, buffalo speedway, telephone, tc jester, wayside..I'm just saying we have viable options to get places

Old 07-16-2011, 03:03 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
If you have a good highway system that compliments your street grid like houston does out shouldn't be much of an issue.... You can always find an alternative route whether it's another highway our major street. Houston is almost there, I wish they go ahead and turn telephone road into a highway or road and that would do wonders to alleviate traffic from pearland/288 and clear lake/45
yes we know Houston is the greatest city in the world. It is impossible for Houston to be affected by any local or national event because it is so greatly planned.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:09 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Anytime you hype a news story weeks in advance and throw "maggeddon" on the end of it, then it will probably it end up fizzling out before anything really happens.

Every year the forecasters predict a huge blizzard to hit Portland(that usually fizzles out) and we get a week of "snowpocalypse" stories on the 6 o'clock news prediciting total shutdown of the whole metro, until a few snowflakes fall for a half hour and everyone gets back to normal.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:17 PM

11 posts, read 41,512 times
This is a good chance for the folks to start using public transport. I think something good could come out of this.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:22 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
yes we know Houston is the greatest city in the world. It is impossible for Houston to be affected by any local or national event because it is so greatly planned.
Houston is one of the worst cities in the United States if you ask me. But with that said we had a pretty major shut down of one of our freeways (Interstate 10) this weekend and it didn't become national news. People just found alternate routes and it was a non issue. I don't get why Los Angeles couldn't do the same. I think our last big national news event was Tropical Storm Allison which made everyone aware of the drainage issues we have.

Once again. I'm definitely not saying Houston is better than Los Angeles in any way. Houston can't even trump the other Texas cities so no way would I say it can trump Los Angeles in anything.

I just remembered Houston's equivalent to Los Angeles Carmageddon and that would be Hurricane Rita. We were put into a state of panic over a storm that completely bypassed us. Many people died trying to escape a storm that never hit us but moved well to the east of us.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:28 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,349 times
I think it was national news because LA is known as the car and traffic capital of America. At least that's the monikor. You don't see backups on a daily basis like you do in LA. Plus, it is the media capital and the celeb capital so it affected them too, so they made a huge deal out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City