Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:51 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,159,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhichWayDoIGo View Post
I was told about Nashville, but everyone said it was 'mostly country' and left it at that.

Now, could someone give me a little insight into Seattle's music scene? I understand there will be some types of music that are more prevalent than others, but .... as long as there is musical diversity there I'd be satisfied.
Seattle has a decent diversity of music, but it's not as friendly a city as many others. You'll have a harder time finding friends and connections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 12:59 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,607,367 times
Nashville, New Orleans and Austin.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:35 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Anybody who doesn't include Nashville must have some pretty big lobotomy scars.

Then again, if you want to include small towns, then you'd pretty much be able to find huge concentrations in just about any small-sized Southern cities. Heck, just look as far as Muscle Shoals, Alabama, where greats such as the Rolling Stones, Paul Simon, Bob Segar, Bob Dylan, Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett, and the Black Keys all recorded. Not bad for a wide spot in the road.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:55 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Atlanta.
ha hahahahaha
name those talented artists coming out of there, where are they? I see no concentration of talent, some yes, but the highest? Not even in the top 10. I await your post of hoodlum talentless rappers so I can laugh some more, if you would up your post count I can stop watching comedy central so much.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:13 PM

18 posts, read 18,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
ha hahahahaha
name those talented artists coming out of there, where are they? I see no concentration of talent, some yes, but the highest? Not even in the top 10. I await your post of hoodlum talentless rappers so I can laugh some more, if you would up your post count I can stop watching comedy central so much.
Atlanta covers the industry side of music. That's what they're known for. As far as quality, talented musicians, I'm sure they aren't any more prevalent there than any other major city.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:16 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Pendergrass View Post
Atlanta covers the industry side of music. That's what they're known for. As far as quality, talented musicians, I'm sure they aren't any more prevalent there than any other major city.
I agree, good post, that is why I was laughing, this thread is about GREAT, in all caps no less. If you want to hear popular ghetto tunes to blast in your bubble chevy then Atlanta is where it's at.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:08 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Anybody who doesn't include Nashville must have some pretty big lobotomy scars.
I might have, but the OP seemed to be leaning toward blues and jazz. I know Nashville is more than country music as I've heard of several alternative groups locating/relocating there and they have lots of Christian music. I've also heard it's a great place for songwriters or songwriting. Then on looking it up they also have something of a rock scene and also folk music. However I didn't think of them as a blues/jazz city and although I found some on the jazz/blues scene there I'm not seeing too much on that. Even the jazz station for the area seems to be in a suburb and not Nashville proper, plus I don't think I found a notable jazz club in the city.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:17 PM

149 posts, read 232,103 times
Someone told me today that Nashville is easily the city with the highest concentration of great musicians.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:00 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Maybe not the top but am surprised no mention of Philly - many musicians over a long and storied history that continues into today with the likes of Pink, Roots, and Taylor Swift

Plus everything from its own Orchestra sound, American Bandstand, TSOP, Do Wop like the Twist, Frankie Avalon, Rap, Soul, Jazz, etc. Even MTV was started by folks from Philly

Philly's Famous Musicians | NBC Philadelphia

List of people from Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Music of Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-20-2011, 02:01 AM

285 posts, read 437,736 times
Los Angeles area for sure
Not because the musicians are necessarily local but because
many of the best musicians in the US tend to gravitate towards LA to make it big
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City