Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Virginia or North Carolina?
The Old Dominion State (VA) 187 53.28%
The Tar Heel State (NC) 164 46.72%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 11:35 PM

209 posts, read 460,840 times

Advertisements

[quote=ajjam;28804439]
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia2012 View Post

When did I say I am from Atlanta. Are you that wrapped up that you can't read?? I said THAT'S NOT TRUE AND I AM NOT FROM ATLANTA!!! I live in Atlanta...I am not from here umm it is very true that MANY people think that Charlotte is in South Carolina that is a known FACT....you are very ignorant please don't expect any further responses from me.
You've just been caught in a lie lol. You edited your post which is why you messed up my reply. What you typed first is still in my reply box. Nice try though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 01:56 PM

895 posts, read 2,090,643 times
NC
Higher gdp by 3%
Higher population by 17%
1 Taller skyline- Charlotte
MUCH better road system throughout the state
Lower government debt load (a surprise due to all the roadway spending)
Taller mountains
Better beaches and coastline
Faster growing
Better lakes

VA
Higher GDP per capita by 18%.
Nicer skylines compared to the rest of NC cities.
Lower unemployment- before someone tosses out the NoVa excuse, most metros in VA outside of NoVa have
lower unemployment numbers than all but about three counties in NC
Higher gross income per capita
Higher rate of education per capita
Better rivers
The metro area in the more rural parts of the state seem to be better off than counterparts in NC
Lower crime rate

Most here argue their opinions only, but facts are more important. Folks seem to really pump up Charlotte, and usually those are the same that try to remove NoVa from the rest of VA when presenting their POV. Fact is, Charlotte might beat Richmond in population, but amenity-wise, they are more similar than different. The eastern parts of NC seem to be very depressed, and crime seems to be pretty high in eastern cities of NC. Of course, head to the Eastern Shore of Va or along much of US 58 and you see the same thing. I like NC, have had family there for years, and spend a fair amount of time there, but I prefer VA. Having the largest portion of the suburbs of a world class city really adds something that most states don't have. Even 120 miles away, I can take a Northeast Regional commuter service train right into the center of DC for less than it costs me to drive and park.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Most here argue their opinions only, but facts are more important. Folks seem to really pump up Charlotte, and usually those are the same that try to remove NoVa from the rest of VA when presenting their POV. Fact is, Charlotte might beat Richmond in population, but amenity-wise, they are more similar than different. The eastern parts of NC seem to be very depressed, and crime seems to be pretty high in eastern cities of NC. Of course, head to the Eastern Shore of Va or along much of US 58 and you see the same thing. I like NC, have had family there for years, and spend a fair amount of time there, but I prefer VA. Having the largest portion of the suburbs of a world class city really adds something that most states don't have. Even 120 miles away, I can take a Northeast Regional commuter service train right into the center of DC for less than it costs me to drive and park.
Because without NoVa, you'd have very few points to prove. That's like giving Charlotte 4 million more people and trying to compare North Carolina to Tennessee. You can't do that.

Why don't you try looking at Virginia's GDP, ect, as if Washington D.C. were non-existent and then compare the two.

In which ways are Charlotte and Richmond similar? Just curious.

North Carolina is much prettier state in my opinion and has a lot more going for it.

Quote:
a world class city
Hardly.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:03 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,672,495 times
Quote:
NC
Higher gdp by 3%
Higher population by 17%
Taller mountains
Faster growing
Better lakes

VA
Lower unemployment- before someone tosses out the NoVa excuse, most metros in VA outside of NoVa have
Better rivers
The metro area in the more rural parts of the state seem to be better off than counterparts in NC
Lower crime rate

Lol, Virginia is a Tennessee with an Atlanta in it. Once you leave Atlanta (Washington), you've got limited things to do.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:05 PM

37,838 posts, read 41,708,399 times
Quote:
NC
Higher gdp by 3%
Higher population by 17%
Taller mountains
Faster growing
Better lakes

VA
Better rivers
Lower crime rate
You give nicer skylines to VA? Interesting. I'd give that one to NC.

I think you could have included higher ed and pro sports in your comparison also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia2012 View Post
Hardly.
I'd say DC is pretty close to being world class, although it's not close to the typical cities we think of when we think "world class."

Old 03-24-2013, 03:08 PM

37,838 posts, read 41,708,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Lol, Virginia is a Tennessee with an Atlanta in it.
How exactly is that a bad thing? TN offers a lot as it is; same with VA minus NOVA (which isn't the size of metro Atlanta; it's about 3 million at most).

Quote:
Once you leave Atlanta (Washington), you've got limited things to do.
I actually think the most interesting things to do in VA are outside of NOVA--the mountains, beaches, VA Beach, the historic towns, etc. I don't think NC necessarily has an edge in terms of things to do outside of its most populous metro area.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:01 PM

895 posts, read 2,090,643 times
Sorry folks, but DC is a world class city by those who rank them- not me. Richmond is in the same major grouping as Charlotte- Gamma level cities, though Charlotte is ranked a bit higher. After all, Charlotte has IKEA, Nascar, and Concord Mills. Maybe one day, Charlotte will wrest the Federal Reserve Bank or Citibank away from Richmond. You can link to plenty of data that supports this (meaning go down to the bottom and link to the footnotes, lest fltonc accuses me of getting all my info on Google!); most data suggest that Richmond and Charlotte are more alike than Charlotte and Atlanta are. You all get too wound up in opinions rather than fact; it would be more interesting if you didn't make every response personal and did some research on what others say.

For the uninformed- Roanoke, Charlottesville, Lynchburg, Harrisonburg, and Williamsburg all have lower unemployment rates than NC- and I mean almost the entire state, locality by locality. The economies in these cities seem to do fine, while earnings are equal to or better than those of their counterparts in NC. For the really uneducated, it is impossible to compare the states when you exclude specific areas. True, if there was no NoVa, Virginia wouldn't be much, but there is a NoVa and we get the positive benefits, even being 120 miles away. If you want to start a thread such as "NC versus Virginia without counting NoVa" you can make some better arguments.

Even better- compare poverty stats. These will not reflect any of the high earners in their respective states (i.e. excludes areas of wealth like NoVa)- NC has a higher level of poverty than VA. Now again, some will point to NoVa and say that the affluence there skews the number, but even looking at a map populated by government figures, VA has less poverty over its entirety than NC does (here's the census data that is used to populate the map).

Old 03-24-2013, 05:40 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,548,009 times
I'd Pick Richmond over any NC city

Old 03-24-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Sorry folks, but DC is a world class city by those who rank them- not me. Richmond is in the same major grouping as Charlotte- Gamma level cities, though Charlotte is ranked a bit higher. After all, Charlotte has IKEA, Nascar, and Concord Mills. Maybe one day, Charlotte will wrest the Federal Reserve Bank or Citibank away from Richmond. You can link to plenty of data that supports this (meaning go down to the bottom and link to the footnotes, lest fltonc accuses me of getting all my info on Google!); most data suggest that Richmond and Charlotte are more alike than Charlotte and Atlanta are. You all get too wound up in opinions rather than fact; it would be more interesting if you didn't make every response personal and did some research on what others say.
Your link refers to Detroit being a world class city...

Are you seriously using IKEA, Nascar and Concord Mills as an excuse for why Charlotte is ranked higher?

Richmond is a Gamma- city, Charlotte is a Gamma+ city. Two tiers higher.

I'm also confused on what you meant in the bolded statement. I don't think Charlotte needs to worry about "wresting) the FRB from Richmond. Citibank?

I'm not saying Richmond and Charlotte aren't alike, but I do think Charlotte and Atlanta have more in common.

Quote:
For the uninformed- Roanoke, Charlottesville, Lynchburg, Harrisonburg, and Williamsburg all have lower unemployment rates than NC- and I mean almost the entire state, locality by locality. The economies in these cities seem to do fine, while earnings are equal to or better than those of their counterparts in NC. For the really uneducated, it is impossible to compare the states when you exclude specific areas. True, if there was no NoVa, Virginia wouldn't be much, but there is a NoVa and we get the positive benefits, even being 120 miles away. If you want to start a thread such as "NC versus Virginia without counting NoVa" you can make some better arguments.
I think you're missing the picture.

You're using NoVa's presence as a reason to why Virginia is "better" than North Carolina. True, NoVa is a very nice metro, however it contributes to majority of Virginia's economic boost, ect, ect.

Leave Virginia without Arlington, Clarke, Culpeper, Fairfax, Fauquier, King George, Loudoun, Prince William, Spotsylvania, Stafford, and Warren, and the independent cities Alexandria, Falls Church, Fairfax, Fredericksburg, Manassas, and Manassas Park (the Washington CSA) and then elaborate on how much Virginia is over North Carolina.

Having a lower unemployment rate doesn't define a state.

Quote:
Even better- compare poverty stats. These will not reflect any of the high earners in their respective states (i.e. excludes areas of wealth like NoVa)- NC has a higher level of poverty than VA. Now again, some will point to NoVa and say that the affluence there skews the number, but even looking at a map populated by government figures, VA has less poverty over its entirety than NC does (here's the census data that is used to populate the map).
I'll give you this.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:25 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,665,276 times
North Carolina. Virginia seem like a diverse state with a city in the mountains (Roanoke), city on the beach (Hampton Roads), inland city (Richmond), and large metro area (NoVa). I just think NC seems newer and the mountains there are more comparable to the Rockies (which is a plus for me).

Roanoke and Asheville appeal to me the most out of both of these states.

Last edited by Mezter; 03-24-2013 at 06:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City