U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 02:38 PM

8,641 posts, read 8,775,115 times

Advertisements

Which city is better
Downtown Activity-
Nightlife-
sports-
infursturcture-
A. transit
b. Roads
outer Metro-
architecture-
Cusine-
parks-
any thing else you think is important
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 04:31 PM

12 posts, read 19,814 times
As a guy who used to live in Augusta, GA, believe me, there is really nothing going on there. Most of Richmond County is a torn down urban area with lots of crime, the schools are a joke (other than some magnet schools here and there). Columbia County is getting super crowded because so many people want to live there. Anybody who has lived there or lives there will tell you the same freaking thing, there is nothing going on in that town, it is boring and dry.

Never been to Springfield but I can tell you quite a lot about Augusta.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:47 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,156 posts, read 11,924,068 times
This guy loves to bash Augusta by creating diffrent screen names, and he writes the same thing in the Augusta forum.. Notice how nobody said anything about Columbia County and he still managed to bring it up.. There's only three magnet schools and Davidson was recently named the 75th best school in the country.. The other two magnet schools consistenly rank among the top schools in Georgia.. This past weekend the Nike Peach Jam, Greenjackets baseball game, Augusta City Amaeture golf event, Southern Nationals(avg 25k people) took place and those were only the sporting events..

Last edited by nortonguy; 07-18-2011 at 04:58 PM..

Old 07-18-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
This guy loves to bash Augusta and he's nothing but a troll.... I noticed he joined at 4pm today...
Lol what troll?

I can put you into contact with people from Augusta (especially the younger ones) who have negative opinions of it.

There is nothing there. If you are going to retire there then go for it but it is no place for a younger kid or young adult. Place is dry and boring except for the masters, other members want to help me out!?

Old 07-18-2011, 05:05 PM

8,641 posts, read 8,775,115 times
Nortonguy since you seem sane will you mind by picking a city for each of the criteria

Old 07-18-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughGWreckshun View Post
Lol what troll?

I can put you into contact with people from Augusta (especially the younger ones) who have negative opinions of it.

There is nothing there. If you are going to retire there then go for it but it is no place for a younger kid or young adult. Place is dry and boring except for the masters, other members want to help me out!?
I guess the US Cycling championships, Westobou, Saturday Market, Arts in the Heart, Gay parade & festival, Greek Festival, Southern Nationals, ESI Ironman, Peach Jam, Mudbugabeaux N Brew Festival, First Thursday, First Friday, Hispanic festial, etc don't exsit...

P.S..
Highest crime rates/4th Quartile
Flint, MI
Stockton, CA
Baton Rouge, LA
Bimingham, AL
Bridgeport, CT
Chattanooga, TN

Average crime rate/3rd Quartile
Dayton, OH
Rochester, NY
Tacoma, WA
Tallahassee, FL
Beaumont, TX
Shreveport, LA
Jackson, MS

Average crime rate/2nd Quartile
Grand Rapids, MI
Richmond. VA
Greensboro, NC
Springfield, MO
St. Paul, MN
Winston-Salem, NC
South Bend, IN

Lowest crime rate/1st Quartile
Salt Lake City, UT
Norfolk, VA
Augusta, GA
Mobile, AL
Montgomery, AL

Old 07-18-2011, 05:12 PM

Wow so you cast me aside like that? regardless I will try my best to give my input

Downtown Activity- Augusta has a decent club or so but be careful, it is a really dangerous city at night and even day. Most people stay away from the downtown at night but you have arts of the hearts every year so that is a place to go to.
Nightlife- Stuff to do near Fort Gordon, lots of parties and events there but downtown Augusta doesn't have as much going on.
sports- High school football in richmond county is big but Patriots Park in Columbia County has some opportunities for that.
infursturcture-
A. transit - great
b. Roads - not bad
outer Metro- Columbia County is decent
architecture-
Cusine- Not much of a variety but you have your restaurants just not much to chose from. Shangri La and Grand Buffets are a must visit.
parks- Other than Patriots Park there isn't much in this aspect.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I guess the US Cycling championships, Westobou, Saturday Market, Arts in the Heart, Gay parade & festival, Greek Festival, Southern Nationals, ESI Ironman, Peach Jam, Mudbugabeaux N Brew Festival, First Thursday, First Friday, Hispanic festial, etc don't exisit...

P.S..
Highest crime rates/4th Quartile
Flint, MI
Stockton, CA
Baton Rouge, LA
Bimingham, AL
Bridgeport, CT
Chattanooga, TN

Average crime rate/3rd Quartile
Dayton, OH
Rochester, NY
Tacoma, WA
Tallahassee, FL
Beaumont, TX
Shreveport, LA
Jackson, MS

Average crime rate/2nd Quartile
Grand Rapids, MI
Richmond. VA
Greensboro, NC
Springfield, MO
St. Paul, MN
Winston-Salem, NC
South Bend, IN

Lowest crime rate/1st Quartile
Salt Lake City, UT
Norfolk, VA
Augusta, GA
Mobile, AL
Montgomery, AL
Source Please. If they did Augusta THEY MUST HAVE included Columbia County which is safe. In Richmond County there are shootings every day on the news in the morning. Areas near Laney Walker high school are freaking war zones at night.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughGWreckshun View Post
Source Please. If they did Augusta THEY MUST HAVE included Columbia County which is safe. In Richmond County there are shootings every day on the news in the morning. Areas near Laney Walker high school are freaking war zones at night.
Major fail and I'm done arguing.... Why would they inlcude Columbia County?? Shootings everyday on the news?? And you expect people to take you seriously... Nightlife and lots of parties near Fort Gordon?? There's a grand total of two night clubs near Fort Gordon lol and everybody usually parties downtown..