Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 07:30 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldojernkins View Post
Seattle, although isolated in many ways, has a lot of cool places with 5 hours:

Vancouver
Portland
Eugene
Coeur D'Alene/Spokane
Whistler
Bellingham
Cascade Mountains
Olympic Penninsula and Natl Park
San Juan Islands
And tons of cool small towns, etc.
Eugene is a bit further than 5 hours...

But Vancouver, Portland, Victoria all make up for that

I never really felt like Seattle was particularly isolated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 07:39 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Eugene is a bit further than 5 hours...

But Vancouver, Portland, Victoria all make up for that

I never really felt like Seattle was particularly isolated.
It's isolated from "major" (LA, Chicago, NYC) cities and the entire West Coast is isolated from the rest of the nation (in other words, I can't really drive there, even if I lived in Kansas City or Denver). It wouldn't feel isolated to me if I had friends and family in the region or if all my expectations for city life could be met by Portland, Seattle and Vancouver. I think it really depends on the person and their situation and needs/desires. "Isolated" is not completely geographical -- perspective also matters.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:47 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
To answer the OP's question: just read the comments and see which city has representatives filling this thread up with posts. I went back to page 12 to catch up on the conversation and 90% of the talk was about Houston -- no surprise really.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:52 PM

717 posts, read 898,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
To answer the OP's question: just read the comments and see which city has representatives filling this thread up with posts. I went back to page 12 to catch up on the conversation and 90% of the talk was about Houston -- no surprise really.
Cute. But those of us with eyes can see that not one Houston poster even started the discussion about the city. We can also see that none of the talk about Houston was bragging.

Other cities are allowed to defend themselves, but when Houston does it, it's called "bragging".

Old 07-27-2011, 08:26 PM

136 posts, read 255,670 times
BLK GIRAFFE......just because you want to be considered a zoo animal, dont call me a rat. I did just join city -data, thanks for the warm welcome! But I have been reading the forums for about 2 years, I am not a Houston hater, i champion the south as a whole, dont attack without knowing me......i just joined, give me time to post...

Old 07-27-2011, 08:40 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,564,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiryhk14 View Post
Being somewhat new to this site, i have noticed alot of things that people like to brag about.

New York City-Being big/skyline
Chicago-Skyline
Miami-Beaches/Oceans
Minneapolis-Art Scene/lakes
Seattle-Scenery
Kansas City-BBQ
Denver/SLC-Mountains
Los Angeles/San Diego-Climate

If you have any cities to add, you are welcome to add them, and if you want to elaborate on the cities already listed, you may do so.
A certain city in north Georgia....those people love to brag about nothing and their airport.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:51 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,564,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
New York but they have good reason
Yea new york & maybe LA is only ones that should brag about anything. The rest should just bow down and stop trying so hard.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:26 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
No they are not the same place. You have very poor vision if you can't see that.

Someone would have to be a retarded to not know that the northeast clearly has the largest cluster of major cities. So thank you both for stating the obvious. There's no way we would have known any of this

This wasn't about a competition of who has the greatest cities close by. All this was about was me proving to Newsboy that he was wrong about no place in Texas being in close proximity to other cities. Try reading the preceding posts next time, please.
I read all the posts. Since you posted all those uncredited pictures (yours? - well-done!), I thought I would pose my question, as they look like the same generic sunbelt city to me.

No one said it was a competition - I simply indicated what I prefer, adding onto another poster's thread. So as you said, before you post:
Quote:
Try reading the preceding posts next time, please.
That said, if it was a competition, you would lose (that is unless you prefer Tulsa to NYC).

Finally, if you have an issue with Newsboy, get a room - don't take it out on me.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:41 PM

717 posts, read 898,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I read all the posts. Since you posted all those uncredited pictures (yours? - well-done!), I thought I would pose my question, as they look like the same generic sunbelt city to me.

No one said it was a competition - I simply indicated what I prefer, adding onto another poster's thread. So as you said, before you post:

That said, if it was a competition, you would lose (that is unless you prefer Tulsa to NYC).

Finally, if you have an issue with Newsboy, get a room - don't take it out on me.
No one said I had an issue with him, and this room is just fine, thank you.

It was not a competition, but you and the other decided to turn it into one, and are now even going further with it by saying I lose by comparing Tulsa to NYC, ironically in a thread that is about which cities brag the most. With that, your side loses. You aren't doing much to help the argument that northerners don't boast about anything.

You can twist it all you'd like, but your post was transparent from the jump. You were trying to be a smart alec and are now acting defensive because you were called out on it. Those cities are anything but generic, but thanks for reassuring everyone here that there's no shortage of self-righteous arrogance in the northeast.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:14 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
It was not a competition, but you and the other decided to turn it into one, and are now even going further with it by saying I lose by comparing Tulsa to NYC, ironically in a thread that is about which cities brag the most. With that, your side loses. You aren't doing much to help the argument that northerners don't boast about anything.
You seem to feel that "sides" exist and that threads are something to be won or lost. I'm just stating my personal preferences: I prefer NYC as a get-away to Tulsa. And I can assure you I never said people from the northeast don't boast. On this board, people from all regions boast, even you:
Quote:
Texas has George W. Bush and Beyonce. We win the thread!
As for this:
Quote:
You can twist it all you'd like, but your post was transparent from the jump. You were trying to be a smart alec and are now acting defensive because you were called out on it.
Now you're a mind reader! You even know why I post. Not exactly sure what you "called" me on, but good on you, I guess.
Quote:
Those cities are anything but generic
They look similar to me. Enjoy them.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 07-27-2011 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: correct typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City